The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well we were told what books to get if needed but most of the textbooks were provided for us. Geography was the only one but they had copies anyway. I'd wait till you get there and they will tell you the best for your syllabus and which they feel are better for revision/work.
Reply 2
Tabers
Well we were told what books to get if needed but most of the textbooks were provided for us. Geography was the only one but they had copies anyway. I'd wait till you get there and they will tell you the best for your syllabus and which they feel are better for revision/work.

Thanks but my school have said they wont provide any books, only sell. I want to see the students opinions on which books are best.
Reply 3
DKB07
Thanks but my school have said they wont provide any books, only sell. I want to see the students opinions on which books are best.

Ah oh right. I'm afraid I can't help you there. I didn't do AQA on the subjects that you are going to do and I did.
Reply 4
I ve heard these are good,am getting one of them soon.They re exam board specific & most of them have a preview:biggrin:

http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/pages/productList.asp?list=as_science#Biology+Complete+Revision+%26+Practice
See my sig for biology revision sites.....

Hope that helps
Reply 5
Nelson Thornes for Biology and Chemistry - also get the specific CGP books near exams.
If you need books for in lessons wait until they see what they say to get, chances are they'll be using them to set work from and stuff so if you have the wrong one may be more problematic than anything.

Although for history, the access to history books are bloody brilliant :biggrin:
Reply 7
I never used the textbook much, bought some revision guides which are really helpful - for biology and chemistry, try collins student support material (i think that's what they're called anyway), they're unit specific. Maths, get CGP revision guides, only available at AS level though (aka C1, C2, S1 and M1)
Reply 8
Thanks for the responses guys, I was definitely considering the Nelson Thornes books as I used them in GCSE. I think they are the ones the school were going to set tasks from. I do not want to buy them yet, I merely want to speculate which books are best, because my school does rush people when they put orders for books.

Im not too keen on revision guides, eg CGP for Science, as it is the more indepth questions that I have to remind myselves rather than the processes which I remember most of the time. Im particularly not keen on CGP as they are very vague.

letsdothetimewarpagain
If you need books for in lessons wait until they see what they say to get, chances are they'll be using them to set work from and stuff so if you have the wrong one may be more problematic than anything.

Although for history, the access to history books are bloody brilliant :biggrin:

Which books are you referring too? And what would reccomend for AS Level History, especially as I didnt take it for GCSE I have alot of work to do.
Reply 9
*bump*
Reply 10
letsdothetimewarpagain

Apart from the French Revolution one...it wasn't even in chronological order
Tabers
Apart from the French Revolution one...it wasn't even in chronological order

lol, the only reason I got the Britain and Ireland one was because it's in chronological order, the offical edexcel text book wasn't :emo: No wonder I got an E in that exam :shifty:
Reply 12
letsdothetimewarpagain
lol, the only reason I got the Britain and Ireland one was because it's in chronological order, the offical edexcel text book wasn't :emo: No wonder I got an E in that exam :shifty:

So Warpie, which books are you referring too, and which did you use.
Reply 13
Ask at WATERSTONES lol

Look at amazon ....and make sure you get books tht hve the study too not revisions cz that will be less inf and mre shorter so get study ..with questions and stuff

Latest