The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So, in essence you're saying we, in fact might be the smallest "particle", and that we (or our universe?) is essentially an "atom" so to speak?
It could be true, nobody really knows...

But, the smallest known particle right now, is apparently the Quark, I think, correct me if I'm wrong.

Good theory though... makes me ponder the universe :P
Reply 2
joe_v91
Please note this all came to me while i was in bed trying to sleep and wrote it all down. I dont know much about science except B at GCSE:

Science tells us atoms make up everything from objects, materials, liquids and particles. They are possibly the smallest known thing to man. We are always taught by professors and scholars that atoms are the ‘building blocks of life’.
The atom in the form of protons, neutrons and electrons take on a similar structure of a solar system. With ‘gravity’ being used to explain the way the solar system has been structured with the revolving planets, a similar idea can be derived from this to look at the make-up of the atom shown.
There are billions of stars, countless galaxies and undoubtedly masses of planets and solar systems. The universe can be described as infinite with potentially even other time/space dimensions.
Now, say that each solar system or galaxy is representative of the formation of an atom. Note the similarities between the rings of stars and those of the electrons, as well as different angles of pictures of our galaxy showing a similar path of movement of these electrons. Each galaxy could be an atom making up part of a massive object or ‘being’ in another life or dimension. For example the smallest thing we know to be in existence is the atom. How do we know what is inside that atom, deeper and even smaller? There could be whole universe or galaxy in each and every atom. We know atoms are high in energy; this energy could be derived from the stars or ‘big bang’ like explosions.
If this were true the life forms inside the universe inside the atom would have no idea of this and therefore we could be those people. There could be infinite levels of atoms, ranging from atoms inside atoms inside atoms, etc to even the possibility that our universe is inside one of those levels. Our life, planet, and universe could make up a small particle in a much larger picture. Our universe could be a droplet of water in a sea, part of a particle of air in a remote spectrum of land or a grain of sand in a parallel universe or different dimension of space and time.

Thoughts please

How intriguing! I had a very similar thought to this just 2 nights ago. Mine was very slightly different. You proposed that there are other universes in the atoms we see, well what if the 'universes' in the atoms we see are actually the same as the big black universe we see in the night sky. In other words, we are formed out of ourselves in a giant loop.
Reply 3
joe_v91
Please note this all came to me while i was in bed trying to sleep and wrote it all down. I dont know much about science except B at GCSE:

Science tells us atoms make up everything from objects, materials, liquids and particles. They are possibly the smallest known thing to man. We are always taught by professors and scholars that atoms are the ‘building blocks of life’.
The atom in the form of protons, neutrons and electrons take on a similar structure of a solar system. With ‘gravity’ being used to explain the way the solar system has been structured with the revolving planets, a similar idea can be derived from this to look at the make-up of the atom shown.
There are billions of stars, countless galaxies and undoubtedly masses of planets and solar systems. The universe can be described as infinite with potentially even other time/space dimensions.
Now, say that each solar system or galaxy is representative of the formation of an atom. Note the similarities between the rings of stars and those of the electrons, as well as different angles of pictures of our galaxy showing a similar path of movement of these electrons. Each galaxy could be an atom making up part of a massive object or ‘being’ in another life or dimension. For example the smallest thing we know to be in existence is the atom. How do we know what is inside that atom, deeper and even smaller? There could be whole universe or galaxy in each and every atom. We know atoms are high in energy; this energy could be derived from the stars or ‘big bang’ like explosions.
If this were true the life forms inside the universe inside the atom would have no idea of this and therefore we could be those people. There could be infinite levels of atoms, ranging from atoms inside atoms inside atoms, etc to even the possibility that our universe is inside one of those levels. Our life, planet, and universe could make up a small particle in a much larger picture. Our universe could be a droplet of water in a sea, part of a particle of air in a remote spectrum of land or a grain of sand in a parallel universe or different dimension of space and time.

Thoughts please

I have thought EXACTLY the same thing!! Great minds :biggrin:
joe_v91

Thoughts please

That was... really quite beautiful :h:
Reply 5
put down the bong
Reply 7

Wow thats pretty cool haha
Reply 8
The atom is made up of quarks...like a proton is 2 up 1 down, neutron is 2 down 1 up (I think...its been more than a year since physics... :s-smilie:). But nice theory...
Reply 9
Then that would mean the Earth and every other satelite orbiting a sun would have to have a negative charge for it to be considered an electron which it doesn't.

I was about to post the exact same link .

Freaky :holmes:
Reply 11
I think most people that have done any level of physics have pondered this. We had a long debate about it in science once. Very intresting theory.
Nicole89
The atom is made up of quarks...like a proton is 2 up 1 down, neutron is 2 down 1 up (I think...its been more than a year since physics... :s-smilie:). But nice theory...

It's wrong to say the 'atom' is made of quarks. The atom is made of protons, neutrons and electrons. Protons and neutrons are the things that are made of quarks, the electron is a lepton, which means that it can't be broken down into any further fundamental particles i.e it has no substructure. I'm just being a bit pedantic though...

Anyway, I don't mean to be a naysayer but as others have pointed out, it's not exactly an original thought it's just a fairly broad comparison between the structure of an atom and the structure of an orbit. It doesn't really hold up to any scrutiny, the only things they have in common is in the general structure, the specifics aren't the same at all.
joe_v91

Thoughts please

That wuold have been a good thought, except that atoms don't actually take the shape that they are often drawn as in textbooks etc. They're really more of a "smudge" of probabilities, and pretty much beyond explanation in our current language of illustration skills :P

That'd make a good sci-fi movie or something though!
joe_v91

Thoughts please

That wuold have been a good thought, except that atoms don't actually take the shape that they are often drawn as in textbooks etc. They're really more of a "smudge" of probabilities, and pretty much beyond explanation in our current language or illustration skills :P

That'd make a good sci-fi movie or something though!
SamCrossMan
I was about to post the exact same link .

Freaky
It's a small universe.
P.S. sorry about the double reply, not quite sure how to use these boards yet :P I was trying to edit a spelling mistake and avoid the grammar nazis!
A similar theory was on the front cover of New Scientist magazine about a year ago
Also, matter doesn't really exist, its just that we are present to view it as solid due to the wave-particle duality.
Reply 19
Electrons don't orbit the nucleus. They occupy discrete energy levels and the orbitals are regions of space where the electron is most likely to be found.

You'd have to reconcile the fact that we see classical (relativity) behaviour on the large scale of the universe, and quantum behaviour on the small scale. They are not the same so our universe couldn't be an atom in a 'big' universe the way we think of it now.

Latest

Trending

Trending