The Student Room Group

AS English poems ( really need help as soon as possible)

hi

plz help me..i m doing AS English

and finding really hard in 2 weeks specailly poems..
i m doing poetry by PHILIP LARKIN : HIGH WINDOWS

so far i've done 1 poem in my college and now i got some homework to do on some poems..but i really dunno wot to write or wot to not....currently i m doin work on Livings by Philip Larkin

if anyone doing high windows book by philip larkin plz help me...or advice to do something..coz i really need some advice on it..tomoz i will also try to talk to my teacher abt this..but wot do u guys say..if u have notes or ny links related to his poems...plz tell me..

Thanks in advance

:banghead: (i m feling like this now :confused: )
Reply 1
If York Notes are available for the poem I suggest you but them :wink:

I'd help if I could but I'm not doing it. Good luck.
Reply 2
Good suggestion

Sorry - I'm doing poetry by Robert Frost.
Reply 3
i did larkin last year- its strange at first but then you see that similar themes can be picked out of the poems- i liked Livings- these are my notes on it.....
- it is tryptich- ie 3 parts
- the three parts are v different
- part one written from the view point of a salesman in 1929, it is mundane and appears to be stuck in a rut- this idea is cemented by the regular rhyme scheme and final rhyming couplet. it focuses on the man himself
- part two is written from a lighthouse keeper and focuses on nature, unlike part one there are few personal pronouns and is written in celebration of the sea
- part three is written from the viewpoint of a cambridge prof. it is written in a much less accessible way and the man doesnt appear isolated as he says 'we' although as a group, he and the other profs are isolated in society. part three is full of irony as although the prof seems learned by using latinate words- 'pudendum mulieris' actually refers to 'lady parts' (sorry to call it lady parts) and a 'jordan' is a chamber pot- so it is subtly crude.
BUT
- the key thing about livings is the pattern that all the sections follow of using the theme of isolation and moving from small to large.
- all the characters are isolated because of their positions- 1 is unhappy as he inherited the job of salesman from his father, 2 is happy as he is with nature and 3 is part of an exclusive group.
- moving from small to large, 1 starts with surroundings in hotel and ends looking at the world. 2 starts looking at the sea and ends with 'worlds westwards' the traditional direction for people aspiring to and starting a new life. 3 looks at their society in the uni and ends looking at the stars.

i hope that helps- i was quite angry last year that there were no Larkin york notes as the poems are quite obscure. in my exam i answered a question on only one poem so i felt like all my other notes were a bit of a waste of time.

hope it helps x and you can stop hitting your head against the wall
Reply 4
thnks hannah and monty mike

i will look at york notes again
thnks for tht mike

and now to hannah

thnks for ur notes on 'livings' thy were really helpful..

and more thing do we have to do only 1 poem in exam and is tht of our own choice..plz let me know..i will ask my teacher also abt it but i ain't got his lesson be4 friday so its kinda long time

and yh can u give me notes on some other poems also if possible

thanks again

bye will wait for ur reply

Shivali

and yh i m feelin bit ok now means not feeling like hitting my head on a wall :wink:

hannah88
i did larkin last year- its strange at first but then you see that similar themes can be picked out of the poems- i liked Livings- these are my notes on it.....
- it is tryptich- ie 3 parts
- the three parts are v different
- part one written from the view point of a salesman in 1929, it is mundane and appears to be stuck in a rut- this idea is cemented by the regular rhyme scheme and final rhyming couplet. it focuses on the man himself
- part two is written from a lighthouse keeper and focuses on nature, unlike part one there are few personal pronouns and is written in celebration of the sea
- part three is written from the viewpoint of a cambridge prof. it is written in a much less accessible way and the man doesnt appear isolated as he says 'we' although as a group, he and the other profs are isolated in society. part three is full of irony as although the prof seems learned by using latinate words- 'pudendum mulieris' actually refers to 'lady parts' (sorry to call it lady parts) and a 'jordan' is a chamber pot- so it is subtly crude.
BUT
- the key thing about livings is the pattern that all the sections follow of using the theme of isolation and moving from small to large.
- all the characters are isolated because of their positions- 1 is unhappy as he inherited the job of salesman from his father, 2 is happy as he is with nature and 3 is part of an exclusive group.
- moving from small to large, 1 starts with surroundings in hotel and ends looking at the world. 2 starts looking at the sea and ends with 'worlds westwards' the traditional direction for people aspiring to and starting a new life. 3 looks at their society in the uni and ends looking at the stars.

i hope that helps- i was quite angry last year that there were no Larkin york notes as the poems are quite obscure. in my exam i answered a question on only one poem so i felt like all my other notes were a bit of a waste of time.

hope it helps x and you can stop hitting your head against the wall
Reply 5
hi
thnks hannah for those notes have u got notes on ny other poems too..if yeh can u help me with thm..

thnks

tc

thnks to monty too for tht advice
Reply 6
hello! i have been away...
i have quite a huge amount of notes.. so if there are any poems in particular u need help with, just pm me.

hope i helped- oh and there is no York Notes for High Windows

Latest