The Student Room Group

Help...gcse Grade C And A Level Maths

Hi guys i just recieved my GCSE results and passed all the major things yet didnt get a grade B (as expected :'() in maths... i have always got B's in maths but because my module 5 was at grade C my overall came out at grade C... Im sure if i work my ass off ill be able to get my A LEVEL in mathematics but i will be enrolling into college in the next 3 days and dont know whether ill get put onto the course..here is some info:
College website: "Students need to have done the higher paper at GCSE Maths and obtained grade C or above, although grade B is preferred. The foundation level paper is considered unsuitable preparation for Mathematics AS."

interviewer (1month ago): Said he would like to see grade B (i was predicated B/C)

Maths teacher: Grade C not seen as good enough preperation (yet i took higher paper doing higher grade questions)

AND i want to do engineering at uni AND A level maths seems like a must to me!

What do you guys think? will i get in? Willl i need to bribe? what shall i say? should i not worry? cheersss.
Reply 1
I pretty much scrapped a B in GCSE mathematics and then got an A for AS level (finished with a B overall). However I did have to work pretty hard so try to see if you can blag your way in.
Reply 2
OK here is some info (i would like to know whether this is a HIGH grade C its is AQA marked:
MAthematics B module 5: Mark: 218 equiv: C
Mathematics B: grade: C equiv: 413 points: 40

what do you think?
Reply 3
i think its is out of 70 marks so 40 out 70 and that comes out at something like 57% :/
Reply 4
cmon guys confirm if im correct and give me some info :P sorry for bieng impatient

my bro got: 423 (grade B)
i got: 413 (grade C)

i think its something like 420 out 600 overall for grade B ...**** was i only 7 marks of lol...
(edited 10 years ago)
gobbler
OK here is some info (i would like to know whether this is a HIGH grade C its is AQA marked:
MAthematics B module 5: Mark: 218 equiv: C
Mathematics B: grade: C equiv: 413 points: 40

what do you think?

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qualifications/gcses/maths/mathematics/gcse-mathematics-b-modular-no-coursework.php

On this page click on the materials tab and then specification 2010. Module 5 is marked out of 330, and the C range is 198-230, therefore your C is not high but it is a fairly decent C. Your overall grade is a very strong C. Your college's recommendations sound fairly reasonable as AS Maths really is quite a bit trickier than GCSE Maths. However, I don't see why it should be a huge problem as long as you were CAPABLE of getting a B. It seems to me that the college is implying it would prefer B-or-above standard candidates, with the grade C requirement as a safety net in case such a candidate messes up an exam. You seem to fit this category, so I don't see why they should have a problem accepting you. Furthermore, you took a higher level paper as they wanted, so as long as you stress the importance of AS level Maths to your degree choice they should be willing to give you a place on a Maths course.
I know someone on here who got a C in maths at GCSE and walked out with an A in Maths and self taught himself further maths and wouldn't be surprised if he got an A/A* in that too :yep:
Reply 7
I'm guessing it really depends on what parts of GCSE's you struggled with. For example there isn't a lot of work in GCSE thats carried on into A level, you won't find any protractor/compass work but you will find much much more sin/cos/tan work, so if you were bad at drawing you'll be fine. Also you take applied modules so if you like the "handling data" aspect of GCSE you'll quite like Stats or if you prefer the algebra side (quadratic formula, factorising) Mechanics is the way forward.
Reply 8
I didnt get put on the course :'( and now i have to go on support courses for physics and computing since i cant do maths a level... -.- Might as well wave goodbye to the top engineering uni' and hope that the one or two uni's which do let you on the course without maths dont change their entry requirements in the next 2 years
Reply 9
gobbler
I didnt get put on the course :'( and now i have to go on support courses for physics and computing since i cant do maths a level... -.- Might as well wave goodbye to the top engineering uni' and hope that the one or two uni's which do let you on the course without maths dont change their entry requirements in the next 2 years

Why not ask next year if you can do teh AS maths after taking physics and computing. That way you at least have AS maths. Or you can speak to your tutor and tell him that you really want to do engineering and see if it is at all possible for you to be put on the course.

Maths is a dificult A-level. Many drop out after the first year and some dont make it past the induction week but if you really want it- show them.
Reply 10
To be blunt if you got a C in GCSE Maths you are very likely to fail. However if you work like a demon you'll pass :smile:
Reply 11
resit seems like best option but how many more marks will i need on the module 5 paper (refer to first post for marks) would it be 7?

Latest