The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick's insanely low Maths offer for Scottish students

Has anyone noticed that the entrance requirement for people doing Scottish exams is really low for people wanting to study Maths at Warwick compared to their English counterparts?

English students need A*A* (Maths and FM) A with a 2 in STEP or A* (Maths) A (Maths) A with a 1 in STEP to get in, which by any accounts is a tough thing to achieve.
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/offer

However, for Scottish students, they need AABB (with an A in Maths) in their Highers, which are slightly harder than AS's and AA(including an A in Maths)in their Advanced Highers, which are slightly harder than A2's.
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/otherquals

What does everyone think of this? Personally I'm happy as I shall hopefully benefit :biggrin: Not to sure that you English lot will be too chuffed though!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I found it pretty funny.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
cool
Reply 3
If I was scottish I'd rather stay in Scotland for free uni.
Reply 4
jj193
If I was scottish I'd rather stay in Scotland for free uni.

Nah. COWI absolutely rape Scottish unis for Maths :yep:
Reply 5
affirmative action?
davidmarsh01
Has anyone noticed that the entrance requirement for people doing Scottish exams is really low for people wanting to study Maths at Warwick compared to their English counterparts?

English students need A*A* (Maths and FM) A with a 2 in STEP or A* (Maths) A (Maths) A with a 1 in STEP to get in, which by any accounts is a tough thing to achieve.
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/offer

However, for Scottish students, they need AABB (with an A in Maths) in their Highers, which are slightly harder than AS's and AA(including an A in Maths)in their Advanced Highers, which are slightly harder than A2's.
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/otherquals

What does everyone think of this? Personally I'm happy as I shall hopefully benefit :biggrin: Not to sure that you English lot will be too chuffed though!

Funny thing is that the scottish people struggle when they get here so don't really win.
Reply 7
Totally Tom
Funny thing is that the scottish people struggle when they get here so don't really win.

I hope you realise that AH Maths > A level Maths. Also AH Physics helps to cover a lot of the Mechanics involved in FM.

Also, I know a guy who went to my school who went to Warwick. He got a cool 86% in first year :cool:
davidmarsh01

A2s? I thought Advanced Highers were on par with A-level. AFAIK, they also incorporate a larger syllabus than A level.
Reply 9
IB offer is 39 with 7 in HL maths + STEP

Ouch.
Reply 10
Corpsetaker
A2s? I thought Advanced Highers were on par with A-level. AFAIK, they also incorporate a larger syllabus than A level.

They're different.

AS + A2 = A level

AS is slightly easier than Higher

A2 is slightly easier than Advanced Higher

The A levels is built up over 2 years, unlike the Advanced Higher, so it makes sense to split up the A level when comparing them to AH's

But overall:
Highers + Advanced Highers (which DO NOT contribute to one award per subject) > AS + A2
Reply 11
davidmarsh01
I hope you realise that AH Maths > A level Maths. Also AH Physics helps to cover a lot of the Mechanics involved in FM.

Also, I know a guy who went to my school who went to Warwick. He got a cool 86% in first year :cool:

A level maths+FM maths>AH maths though.
Reply 12
Slumpy
A level maths+FM maths>AH maths though.

Ah but AH Maths + AH Physics is only just less than A level Maths, FM and Physics :p: It certainly isn't a whole subject more.

That said, AH Maths, Physics and Applied Maths:Mechanics absolutely kicks the arse of A level Maths, FM and Physics.

Ach it doesn't really matter
scottish unis are bastards to us.....its so unfair :sad:
Reply 14
davidmarsh01
Ah but AH Maths + AH Physics is only just less than A level Maths, FM and Physics :p: It certainly isn't a whole subject more.

That said, AH Maths, Physics and Applied Maths:Mechanics absolutely kicks the arse of A level Maths, FM and Physics.

Ach it doesn't really matter

I'd disagree, there's some nice pure bits we miss out on in AHs.

Nah, AMM is a free AH you get for doing maths and physics.
Reply 15
greatmonte
scottish unis are bastards to us.....its so unfair :sad:

How? English people get discounts to go to uni in Scotland, we have to pay full whack to go to uni in England :frown:
davidmarsh01
How? English people get discounts to go to uni in Scotland, we have to pay full whack to go to uni in England :frown:

damn right. fookin' scots getting massive subsidies from us.
Reply 17
Totally Tom
damn right. fookin' scots getting massive subsidies from us.

That's not what I'm saying. English people get it easier because if they want to go to one of our good universities then the Scottish Government will still partially fund them, I think the student has to pay £1500 a year or something up here if you're not Scottish.

However, when a Scot wants to go to an English uni, he has to pay the full £3000 or whatever :mad:
Reply 18
davidmarsh01
Nah. COWI absolutely rape Scottish unis for Maths :yep:

Off topic, but what does "COWI" mean?
Reply 19
davidmarsh01
That's not what I'm saying. English people get it easier because if they want to go to one of our good universities then the Scottish Government will still partially fund them, I think the student has to pay £1500 a year or something up here if you're not Scottish.

However, when a Scot wants to go to an English uni, he has to pay the full £3000 or whatever :mad:

However, when a Scottish person goes to a Scottish uni, they go for free, when an English person wants to go, they have to pay.

It sort of ends up being fairish.

There are more good unis in England than Scotland anyhow.

Latest