The Student Room Group

Are there jobs to be had abroad? No luck in London

Scroll to see replies

I know that the job market is tough at the moment and that everyone wants a job in London, but be honest with yourself here. How picky are you being? It might be that you're being a bit unrealistic. In this climate most people will have to set their sights lower, and it doesn't help that the kind of jobs I assume you'll be looking for, considering your major in finance, are highly sought after. By all means apply for the jobs you'd really like, but make sure you're also applying for ones with which you have more of a chance. Have you visited agencies? I got my current job through an agency. It's not great, but it could be a lot worse and it's a job. This came from my first agency visit too. If you're not already doing so, dress up smart and cold-call these agencies and be impressive. They get swamped with phone calls and emails so always make the effort to go in person. Sell yourself but act humble. Remember to think long-term about your career and accept that you might have to have a few jobs that are unrelated to what you want to do and pay a bit less before you hit jackpot. For me, my current aim in life as a recent graduate is to have a a job that I am comfortable in and that pays enough for me to build a modest but pleasant life somewhere more interesting than my home town. My 'ideal' job can wait. So if you really want to stick it out in London, start to think outside the box and apply for jobs that you may feel are a little beneath you or are unrelated to what you want to do. A persevering spirit is what employers want anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending