The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No it will lose its place soon. The west is declining.
Reply 2
Hopefully not anytime soon. It will still be a few decades before countries like China/India have GDP's matching that of the west and even then they will still remain the top financial centres for the western countries at least.
It is inevitable regardless of what we do to try and stop it.

Hong Kong, Shanghai, Mumbai, Kolkata, Manila, Kuala Lumpur, Rio, São Paulo, Buenos Aires, Montevideo . . .
Unknown?
Hopefully not anytime soon. It will still be a few decades before countries like China/India have GDP's matching that of the west and even then they will still remain the top financial centres for the western countries at least.

Fail speculation
Aphotic Cosmos

Hong Kong, Shanghai, Mumbai, Kolkata, Manila, Kuala Lumpur, Rio, São Paulo, Buenos Aires, Montevideo . . .

mumbai ,kolkata- joke of the century.
cruciform
The City of London remains the top financial centre in the world, joint with New York's. Will it remain top of the top? Will it even lose it's status as a top financial centre? With emerging economic powers like China, India, Brazil, who knows?
Comment. :smile:

i say that india is way behind the other china and brazil who stand much fair chance.
infact it would not be wrong to say china takes the lead.
Lack of regulation makes London a great place for hedge funds. I can't remember the exact figures but I believe most European hedge funds are located in London. It is also in a perfect time zone for a lot of markets, it is still a great place for finance
Reply 8
Aphotic Cosmos

This list misses Tokyo, and should stop at Hong Kong and Shanghai. The rest of which I have absolutely no idea how you've compiled.
Reply 9
Webstersss
Fail speculation

Fail response.
Reply 10
anonnumber6
Lack of regulation makes London a great place for hedge funds. I can't remember the exact figures but I believe most European hedge funds are located in London. It is also in a perfect time zone for a lot of markets, it is still a great place for finance

80% of Europe's hedgefunds are located in the City of London. :smile:
Impressive no?

We should make it our priority to protect the financial services industry of this country and make Britain as competitive as we can - Low tax, low regulation!
Teaddict
80% of Europe's hedgefunds are located in the City of London. :smile:
Impressive no?

We should make it our priority to protect the financial services industry of this country and make Britain as competitive as we can - Low tax, low regulation!

Yeah, that approach worked so well in the past decade!
Reply 12
City of London is only top because it is a city where everyone speaks English. It is not for any other reason. Go Mumbai take over London please.
Brainss
This list misses Tokyo, and should stop at Hong Kong and Shanghai. The rest of which I have absolutely no idea how you've compiled.

Tokyo?

You mean the capital of the "powerhouse" that's been either in recession or stagnation for two straight decades?

This isn't the eighties.
Reply 14
spidergareth
Yeah, that approach worked so well in the past decade!

Taxes went up and regulation has gone up...

Not exactly lower tax and lower regulation is it?
The first financial centre to offer 24 hour trading will have the edge over London. I suspect that won't happen for a while yet so the City will still be a powerhouse for a few years yet.
Reply 16
NO.
Short answer:
London is uniquely placed in that its trading hours reach the far cost of America and some distance into the middle East. It's the only financial center with that asset.
Aphotic Cosmos

Apart from one or two, was that list formulated by plucking random capital cities from the air?
Reply 19
London is to unique. We happen to be in between North America and Europe. We are the finance capital of Europe. More Euros are traded in London then the entire EU. When growth hits Europe London will benefit. When it hits North America. London will benefit. Only city that is that lucky.

Oh and to the person who said Mumbai and Calcutta. WTF? Are you mad? India is no where near China. What makes you think they can catch up to London?