The Student Room Group

A-Levels for Engineering

I wish to study Engineering (preferably Aerospace Engineering) at university. I am stuck between which subjects to study (yet again) as new opportunities have presented themselves for Sixth Form.

On one hand I can study...
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Economics

But I may also have the opportunity to study...
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Computing OR Electronics (depending on which of the schools I attend)

What do you think?

Thanks

Eco is more respected
Reply 2
HoneyIWashedTheKid
Eco is more respected

Very well.
Reply 3
I'd say Option 1.
Reply 4
I would have thought Computing would be more useful. I had looked at electronics too, but it's rather new and quite limited. I did Computing for A-Level, and I have modules about programming this year.
Reply 5
Id go with 2 as i hate essay subjects. And tbh youll probably only be doing Maths FMaths and Physics to A2 anyway, so the as level is pretty irrelevant.
Reply 6
Jammie1
I would have thought Computing would be more useful. I had looked at electronics too, but it's rather new and quite limited. I did Computing for A-Level, and I have modules about programming this year.

Yeah I was told that Computing or Electronics is more useful for Engineering. That's what I was advised to take as a fourth option by an Engineering doctorate.
Reply 7
jontylol
Id go with 2 as i hate essay subjects. And tbh youll probably only be doing Maths FMaths and Physics to A2 anyway, so the as level is pretty irrelevant.

Yeah I can understand that. But there is also the argument that it balances out my study options.
Reply 8
all the options are really good for engineering but i would pick the one where u change school
Reply 9
whizz-kid
all the options are really good for engineering but i would pick the one where u change school

So option 2 then I take it?
Relik93D
So option 2 then I take it?

only if your happy like this :woo: and this:yep:
Reply 11
whizz-kid
only if your happy like this :woo: and this:yep:

I'm stuck in between as Economics will make me a more well rounded candidate and is a more traditional subject but Computing will be of more use probably in Engineering. :eek3:
Computing will be much more use in engineering seeing as programming skills on things like Excel and Matlab are quite important.
Reply 13
Turns out Computing or Electronics won't be an option for option 2. So I suppose Chemistry will be a fine subsidy?
Probably.

What's an economics A-level like? If you have to do some essays/reports for it it could come in handy for practise at engineering reports (just not as handy as practice at programming or electronics).
Reply 15
Smack
Probably.

What's an economics A-level like? If you have to do some essays/reports for it it could come in handy for practise at engineering reports (just not as handy as practice at programming or electronics).

I quite enjoy Economics. Really it consists of essay writing and keeping up to date with modern affairs in the world. It also intertwines with Politics slightly.

I know it isn't as useful as Computing or Electronics but it seems like schools are giving up providing these subjects due to the lack of numbers for students, so it is now unavailable to me for study and Chemistry will replace it. So I will most likely continue with Option 1.
Relik93D
I'm stuck in between as Economics will make me a more well rounded candidate and is a more traditional subject but Computing will be of more use probably in Engineering. :eek3:

Ok. Just stop. Maths, FM and Physics to A2 will make you the ideal candidate. AS does NOT matter out of those two.

Do the one you'd feel most happy in the most happy place. Sod what you appear like. If your heart isn't in it, you won't succeed.

Latest