The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I visited a lot of unis when I was looking into which unis to apply to (so back in 2006)..and Warwick most definitely does not have the ugliest campus. It's actually one of the best (not that I'm biased :P).. Sure I'd describe some of the original buildings as ugly due to the era in which they were built - the library in particular.. But the newer buildings are much more pleasant.. Besides it's not just the buildings that makes a campus beautiful - it's the surrounding scenery. Warwick is one of the greenest and most well-kept uni campus out there (having visited other unis - I can definitely say some are not well kept at all. including ones which are supposedly great). Plus there's ducks and little ducklings everywhere.. ponds, a lake etc..

..So my point is - it aint' ugly.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 21
im so academic

Picture 3 - imo the most ugliest thing on campus. What were they thinking??
Serenity
Picture 3 - imo the most ugliest thing on campus. What were they thinking??

Yeah but the flowers are nice. :h:

It really is hard trying to look for good pictures tbh. :s-smilie:
Reply 23
Pictures really don't cover warwick, to be honest.

It's a strangely eclectic mix of peaceful, leafy green downs and a bunch of modernist architecture. Whilst it's not the prettiest university, it is academically excellent with good facilities (warwick arts centre is awesome) and (imo) somehow the best student bubble of the unis i'd visited due to the leafy, expansive, peaceful nature of the campus.

That said, I didn't apply because I live about 15 minutes away...
Reply 24
im so academic
Yeah but the flowers are nice. :h:

It really is hard trying to look for good pictures tbh. :s-smilie:

Depends on if you like modern architecture..
woo

there's a picture of Stumpy!

It's either him or his evil twin. Regardless, the true stumpy is AWESOME. he's so friendly and he's a good papa too.

I :heart: stumpy
im so academic

Probably one of the most "nicest" departments they have tbh.

I'm gonna be going in and out of here for 3 years :woo: :thumbsup:
Reply 27
screenager2004
Hamptonia, first floor :P Three of the blocks in Westwood have an identical layout so it's pretty confusing.

In that case he lived in the flat above you! Small world :p:
Reply 28
Ugliest campus? Get outta here. Warwick's got far and away the nicest modern campus (check out Keele, York, Exeter, Lancaster etc) and the best facilities of any campus.
Reply 29
I think people confuse it's isolatefd location with its 'ugliness'. TBH the campus is absolutely :love: but it's not situated in the most idealist places. But oh well you can't get everything. Still love the campus which is why I might apply to 2 courses there
Reply 30
The students aren't particularly hot though.... :hmmm:
Reply 31
Reems
The students aren't particularly hot though.... :hmmm:

Bad skin, eh...?
Reply 32
Focus08
Bad skin, eh...?

Funnily enough, that's what I noticed the most when I went up there.
I love the campus, but if you're looking for dreaming spires then you should already know it's not for you. It has a modern feel, but the only buildings I would really call ugly are Old Rootes (sorry guys :biggrin:). The new union is awesome as well.

P.S. All these pictures are making me feel warm inside, I wanna go back already!
megaduck
Ugliest campus? Get outta here. Warwick's got far and away the nicest modern campus (check out Keele, York, Exeter, Lancaster etc) and the best facilities of any campus.

not really got the best facs of any campus. that's a bit of a mega lie there tbh.

but it has decent facs.
Reply 35
Warwick is like a modern, pretty and a miniature town in the middle of nowhere. Pretty much sums it up. :wink:
Reply 36
Totally Tom
not really got the best facs of any campus. that's a bit of a mega lie there tbh.

but it has decent facs.

Ok Totally Tom, name me a campus uni in the UK with better facilities. Go on. :hmmm:

And it's got to be facilities actually belonging to the university, not just general town amenities close by.
Original post by Ultimate1
Warwick is like a modern, pretty and a miniature town in the middle of nowhere. Pretty much sums it up. :wink:

pretty maybe if you like the 70s architecture, middle of nowhere definitely, but not a miniature town just a campus. i am worried that the limited social scene will get boring after a year or two...?
Reply 38
I'm in that situation at the moment. I'm at Kent, on Medway campus and I enjoy my course but I don't think much of the campus and I really don't like the area.

Conversely, when I was at Royal Holloway, I loved the campus but I didn't like my course.

I felt happier at Royal Holloway, but here in Kent I feel so much more satisfied when I do well. As there's not much to do in the area I find I do much more work which can only be a good thing :smile:

You also have the bonus of knowing that Warwick is a really great university which should encourage you :smile:
Original post by Clueless0rach
You're probably right about that, but i figure that the early i start looking, the earlier i might work out what i acutally want! :yep:

I worked that out the hard way, after I spent 4 years thinking I wanted to do medicine, and choosing all of my GCSE options accordingly. Then I realised i HATE science. Fail. :rolleyes:

... and this is why you should always take things one step at a time. Don't DECIDE you want to do English at university before you're even in sixth form. Take English and some other subjects you like at AS and have an open mind. I was pretty convinced I wanted to apply to Oxford for English - ended up neither applying to Oxford, nor for English.

Latest