The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
BR1
This is total nonsense!
1.For a start how is the planet "soon going to be beyond liveable capacity"? You listen to far too much main stream media crap! Do a little of your own research or some simple mathematics and you will quickly discover that the WHOLE world population could fit into Australia and have 1/4 acre to live on EACH

2.Your argument is very ignorant and self centered! Much of the suffering in the lesser developed countries is caused by westerners. Maybe if we hadn't raped and pillaged African's from their own land as slaves they could have developed it further, Instead we now blame them for many problems in society and expect them to honour us regardless of what westerners have done in the past.

3. Educated yourself, make your world view bigger.

Seriously...a quarter of an acre? will we just eat the soil then? Australia doesnt have the environment to sustain everyone on earth.
Reply 21
Ruthi-SH
Seriously...a quarter of an acre? will we just eat the soil then? Australia doesnt have the environment to sustain everyone on earth.

Before making derogative comments you should acknowledge what I am saying. Did i say that we must all live in Australia? No I said that the Earth's current population could fit into such a space thus illustrating that we are far from over crowded
Reply 22
BR1
Before making derogative comments you should acknowledge what I am saying. Did i say that we must all live in Australia? No I said that the Earth's current population could fit into such a space thus illustrating that we are far from over crowded

So could you explain how we are meant to live off a quarter of an acre each. If you didnt mean that then why say such a pointless statement
erowiki
The population of the planet is rising ever more dramatically and is soon going to go beyond liveable capacity (it has already gone beyond comfortable capacity).

Most of the people on Earth live in the poorest parts that demand the wealth and support from the hard working westerners, we are expected to somehow apologise for being rich and not lounging in our own faeces like many African, Arab and Asian countries do. China is growing very wealthy but per head it is still one of the poorest nations out there. If these over populated countries become righter per capita, then they will start demanding more and more resources, taking away from us in the west - this is selfish yes, but we are selfish creatures.

So really, for disasters like that going on in Pakistan, are they necessary for us in the western world to maintain our high standard of living? Are the deaths of millions of poor people from 3rd world countries really that bad for us? Or is this just how nature keeps control of people who can't understand that if you can't look after yourself, then maybe you shouldn't have 15 children?

The lesson is that the Pakistani government should have saved up for a rainy day.
Reply 24
erowiki
LOL you idiot! 1/4 acre to live on EACH! Because that's loads of land and you could really raise livestock, grow grain and grow watermelons and chickens for the Africans on 1/4 acre each.

We are self-centred creatures, get used to it. And if we hadn't taken the natural resources that are under the African soil they would somehow be better off than they are now? No, they would still be doing rain dances and circumcising their daughters - only they would be doing it on top of billions of dollars worth of oil. Western use of African resources is actually bringing an economy to these people, if we left then the ****-storm would only get more funny.

1. Your right I'm clearly an Idiot! I mean I wish my mind was advanced enough to use the example to understand the scale of it rather than to limit it to it.

2. Who says we are self centered creatures? Why should I get used to it? Why should I accept your narrow minded determinist view as true? Can people not exercise free will and show unselfish acts of kindness? I think you will find they can. People are how they wish to be. If you see the world as self-centered then it says more about you than the world we live in
Reply 25
concubine
What we really need is ******* WAR and GENOCIDE.

RIGHT GUYS?!

no mate. Zombie apocalypse :yep:
Reply 26
Samrout
no mate. Zombie apocalypse :yep:

That would be so much fun :biggrin: ill get the machete
Reply 27
Ruthi-SH
So could you explain how we are meant to live off a quarter of an acre each. If you didnt mean that then why say such a pointless statement

I am not saying we must live off a 1/4 of an acre each. I said the population of the entire world could fit into Australia with 1/4 of an acre of land each. Obviously the world is far larger than Australia therfore we can have MUCH more than 1/4 of an acre. I was trying to show the scale of it as people keep saying the world is over crowded when it really isnt!
Reply 28
BR1
I am not saying we must live off a 1/4 of an acre each. I said the population of the entire world could fit into Australia with 1/4 of an acre of land each. Obviously the world is far larger than Australia therfore we can have MUCH more than 1/4 of an acre. I was trying to show the scale of it as people keep saying the world is over crowded when it really isnt!

So now that we know the population fits into australia would you like to take finite resources into account and our current usage. Its all fine saying YAY WE ALL FIT INTO AUSTRALIA THEREFORE WE HAVE ENOUGH LAND FOR CROPS EACH but we rely on other things.
I'm afraid you lost this debate when you said 'growing watermelons and chickens for the Africans'!!!
Reply 30
erowiki

We are self-centred creatures, get used to it. And if we hadn't taken the natural resources that are under the African soil they would somehow be better off than they are now? No, they would still be doing rain dances and circumcising their daughters - only they would be doing it on top of billions of dollars worth of oil. Western use of African resources is actually bringing an economy to these people, if we left then the ****-storm would only get more funny.

You don't really seem to mind supporting the notion of a western society. People aren't just purely self-centered, they're community oriented otherwise altruism wouldn't exist.

You're idea of what the future would be like is just laughable really.
Reply 31
Ruthi-SH
So now that we know the population fits into australia would you like to take finite resources into account and our current usage. Its all fine saying YAY WE ALL FIT INTO AUSTRALIA THEREFORE WE HAVE ENOUGH LAND FOR CROPS EACH but we rely on other things.

What finite resources?
Reply 32
Tombola
You don't really seem to mind supporting the notion of a western society. People aren't just purely self-centered, they're community oriented otherwise altruism wouldn't exist.

Finally, someone with some maturity!:woo:
easter_bunny
I'm afraid you lost this debate when you said 'growing watermelons and chickens for the Africans'!!!

This.
Reply 34
Ruthi-SH

To be honest, we've got enough food for all the starving people out there. Overpopulation is just the idea that there's not enough resources within a particular region. That only occurs because people suck at sharing, and consume at a horrendous rate.

But that was all pointed out by Aphotic Cosmos earlier on =/
Reply 35
typical mentality
Reply 36
Tombola
To be honest, we've got enough food for all the starving people out there. Overpopulation is just the idea that there's not enough resources within a particular region. That only occurs because people suck at sharing, and consume at a horrendous rate.

Yeah I must agree! Credit to Aphotic Cosmos and yourself. Like you say we waste more food than the developing world consumes
Reply 37
Tombola

Well, altruism doesn't supersede ones own desire to survive and prosper for most people.

Anyway, what are you on about when you say I don't mind supporting the notion of a western society?
Reply 38
Tombola

Marxist bull-****. People like you love to sit and criticise the western world for being successful and having more than others but I don't think any of you realise what life would be like if we did actually "share" and stop consuming. You wouldn't have the computer you're typing on for a start.

The word "share" is in quotation marks because it translates into stealing wealth from those who earned it and giving it to backward countries who have done nothing.
Reply 39
erowiki
Well, altruism doesn't supersede ones own desire to survive and prosper for most people.

Anyway, what are you on about when you say I don't mind supporting the notion of a western society?

I'm sure most people are happy to sacrifice their lives to save a family member. Then there are people who are willing to go to war against other countries in order to protect their own nation. This will most likely change if we ever discover extraterrestrial life and move onto the next stage.

These are all cases of altruism. It's obvious that people look out for their community as well as their selves. Anyhow, the point about how we're all self-centered individuals that should only care about our well being is just pointless.

All I can say: You're just shooting yourself in the foot in the long run with such an attitude. Dictatorships always get taken down after a while.

Latest

Trending

Trending