The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bonged.
Thats having an opinion. Unless the essay is wrapped around a bomb.

An opinion can still make someone look radical.
Reply 21
deathbeforeimmortality
An opinion can still make someone look radical.

Why would it be radical for an atheist to voice their opinion but expected for a preacher.
Reply 22
Broderss
No one has attacked anyone in the name of atheism.

Touche!

Or ironic, depending what side you're on.
There are lots of examples of religious persecution by atheists in favour of atheism. Yes, mainly by "communists". That these regimes usually ended up replacing religion with a cult of personality or the "religion" of their political ideology is interesting as a side point.
Reply 24

French revolution? Really?
It might do you well to remember that religious extremism is not merely religious extremism. It is political and its religious bent does not make it any less political. Religious terrorists do not simply have religious motivations and intentions, they have political ones as well. You seem to fail to understand that there is not always a difference and historically there has generally been much less of a difference than there is now.
Reply 26
littleshambles
There are lots of examples of religious persecution by atheists in favour of atheism. Yes, mainly by "communists". That these regimes usually ended up replacing religion with a cult of personality or the "religion" of their political ideology is interesting as a side point.

Example?
Bonged.
Example?

You've already been given examples. The Soviet Union was officially atheist, taught atheism in schools and (sporadically and with varying enthusiasm) attacked the existence and institutions of other religions.

I would be in perfect agreement with you that the standard for being called "militant" or "extreme" for atheists is far too low, and that you can be called an extremist and "just like the people you claim to blah blah blah" merely for stating your opinion. That doesn't mean no atheist has ever committed atrocities in order to promote atheism and destroy religion. Because they have. A lot.
Reply 28
You misunderstand the term 'atheism'.
Reply 29
Small123
You misunderstand the term 'atheism'.

No I don't.
Denial of a deity.
Which is why I'm pointing out that it's impossible to link atheists to militancy.
Reply 30
Not directly relevant to the thread, but relevant to people interested in this topic - while it's a bit slippery to find atrocities comitted "in the name of atheism", you can find them having been carried out for just about every other reason under the sun, religion being just one.

People always manage to find something worth fighting over.
Reply 31
khmer rouge? why are you such a bender anyway? Maybe it is in the wrong context but you know just as well as I do that the term "militant" with regards to atheism is an exaggerated yet nonetheless relevant point as to how self proclaimed atheists like yourself, dont just use their position to stimulate debate, rather bombard people who think otherwise with insults and patronising comments.

People like you have successfully turned atheism from an interesting and through empirical evidence, strong point of view into some side that you seem intent on fighting for in the form of pushing it onto others who hold differing beliefs.
Reply 32
adam_zed
khmer rouge? why are you such a bender anyway? Maybe it is in the wrong context but you know just as well as I do that the term "militant" with regards to atheism is an exaggerated yet nonetheless relevant point as to how self proclaimed atheists like yourself, dont just use their position to stimulate debate, rather bombard people who think otherwise with insults and patronising comments.

People like you have successfully turned atheism from an interesting and through empirical evidence, strong point of view into some side that you seem intent on fighting for in the form of pushing it onto others who hold differing beliefs.

lol wut.

where?

No I'd never fight someone over their beliefs, thats stupid. By pushing onto others do you mean stating my opinion, defending it, and trying to convince others that I am correct? That is simply debate.
Reply 33
Bonged.
lol wut.

where?

No I'd never fight someone over their beliefs, thats stupid. By pushing onto others do you mean stating my opinion, defending it, and trying to convince others that I am correct? That is simply debate.

bender comment was a bit uncalled for lol my bad. very ill and tired. Stating your opinion is one thing ie "I dont believe there is a God". Defending it is when someone then says "But there most definitely is and you are wrong".

but when you create thread after thread with topics related to why do people think there is a God, where you and other people make patronising comments about those who think differently then this is different. Fair play if you have your own opinion. I have had my own opinion shaped by some very smart atheists on TSR who have explained their own views in a decent and intelligent way. I wouldnt say that I am atheist but it certainly gave me an altered perspective. Trying to denounce a religion as violent and openly trying to provoke followers of that religion as you did with your thread last night is non of the things you said.

If someone then wen
littleshambles

Well you can't really say the communists were doing it in the name of atheism if it was being done with the purpose of getting rid of potential opposition to their power. In the same way, if you had a dictator cynically using religion to keep the people he ruled under control, that wouldn't be the fault of the religion.
There aren't any (as I suspect you already know). Why? Because who's willing to die in the name of nothing?
Reply 36
No-one. It's not possible to go from a simple rationale on the origin of the universe, to a case of murder and terrorism. Just how I highly doubt that it's possible for a deist to murder or terrorise in the name of deism. The true problem comes from the type of person who believes that a divine author is giving him warrant to commit such an action. This rules out atheism in so many ways.
Reply 37
Some fag atheist started on me for coming out of a church one evening.
I forgot to turn the other cheek.
Reply 38
TheBigCh
Some fag atheist started on me for coming out of a church one evening.
I forgot to turn the other cheek.

Lol. You sound like a lovely peaceful worshipper.

Are you serious?
meowmeowmutiny
Well you can't really say the communists were doing it in the name of atheism if it was being done with the purpose of getting rid of potential opposition to their power. In the same way, if you had a dictator cynically using religion to keep the people he ruled under control, that wouldn't be the fault of the religion.

There were other ideological reasons for attacking religion. It was not simply about power. You can argue that everything is actually a power struggle in this sense, anyway. I think the point is empty.

And as I hoped to imply with my next post, I would argue that very few atrocities are committed solely in the name of religion.

Latest

Trending

Trending