The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 61
London accent is awesome
Norfolkadam
I think it's hilarious when white people pretend to be black.

But that's just me.

I agree with you.
Reply 63
+ polarity -
I agree with you.

+99999999 internets for Necrophagist vid in sig.
Bonged.
+99999999 internets for Necrophagist vid in sig.

:lol: Thank you :blush:

I had this before :ninja:

but I think the current cover-er is better :yep:
This is what annoys me about 'street' culture, they put on these ridiculous fake accents, so they can appear more like their hip hop idol, or yardie/gangster/street idol, until it becomes their identity, then when it comes time to getting into university, or getting a job, they come out with things like, ah people judge us because we're from the street, people have such a negative view of us, we never get any breaks in life, everybodys out against us, they are 'hating' if you will. People from London probably see this a lot, I had the misfortune of being sick for a year, and had to claim benefit, and it is SUCH a common feature among those at the bottom of the ladder. How about you get words like 'blud, bruv, cuz, fam, innit, ya get me, hatin' out of your vocabulary, at least try to pronounce what you say with a little class, and people might actually see you as valued members of society. And I'm not just talking about black people, yes they sometimes can be more susceptible to doing it as a lot have Jamaican/African ancestry, but the whites and asians are doing it a lot too.
Reply 66
+ polarity -
:lol: Thank you :blush:

I had this before :ninja:

but I think the current cover-er is better :yep:

Woah. Hot chick likes death metal can shred like crazy. I will find this woman. :biggrin:
Bonged.
Woah. Hot chick likes death metal can shred like crazy. I will find this woman. :biggrin:

*ahem*
Reply 68
+ polarity -

Lol u stalker. Im adding her. I stalk from time to time...
Bonged.
My parents are irish. They speak with an irish accent in the house. However I was born in England, grew up here, and hence speak with an english accent. If I did speak with an irish accent to my friends, they would be amused and puzzled, they wouldn't adopt the accent and they would take the piss. Why? Because we live in England and grew up here. I would be a monumental tool if I forced an Irish accent, and they would be worse if they then copied my false irish accent.

Back to my OP point, the kids I knew previously had home counties and cockney accents, so yes, they were forcing it when they changed their accent and yes they were pretending.

Their not putting on a Jamaican accent you mug. They are talking with a British accent that has Jamaican influence
A lot does have to do with fitting in. I went back to England in July, and everyone mentioned how I'd gone from being broad Yorkshire, to have a very thick American accent. All I can put this down to is that the only time I actually speak and hear English (as I live in Germany and only write when I speak to home as opposed to the phone) is when I spoke to people of a native language. One of my all-time best friends comes from Las Vagas and so I speak with him a lot and then my boyfriend has a good hint of Texas in his accent. I didn't even realise I was doing it, and yet everyone back home thought that I was putting it on. Yet, after a week of being around my family and friends, I have my yorkshire accent back (sadly :p:). I'm slowly getting my American accent back. It might also have a lot to do with the person and how well they pick up accents. I guess having a year learning German I have tried my hardest to pick up the regional accent here (in German) so I guess I am more sensitive even in my mother tongue to picking up accents.
Reply 71
Tha_Black_Shinobi
Their not putting on a Jamaican accent you mug. They are talking with a British accent that has Jamaican influence

Which, far removed from jamaica, jamaicans and jamaican culture as my classmates were, makes the accent forced.
Reply 72
one thing i don't get. why are "afro-american"'s called so if their origin is jamaica? obviously their origin is africa. :s
Bonged.
Which, far removed from jamaica, jamaicans and jamaican culture as my classmates were, makes the accent forced.

so in a class that was apparantly filled with black kids not one of them was Jamaican :rolleyes:
Reply 74
SpiritedAway
A lot does have to do with fitting in. I went back to England in July, and everyone mentioned how I'd gone from being broad Yorkshire, to have a very thick American accent. All I can put this down to is that the only time I actually speak and hear English (as I live in Germany and only write when I speak to home as opposed to the phone) is when I spoke to people of a native language. One of my all-time best friends comes from Las Vagas and so I speak with him a lot and then my boyfriend has a good hint of Texas in his accent. I didn't even realise I was doing it, and yet everyone back home thought that I was putting it on. Yet, after a week of being around my family and friends, I have my yorkshire accent back (sadly :p:). I'm slowly getting my American accent back. It might also have a lot to do with the person and how well they pick up accents. I guess having a year learning German I have tried my hardest to pick up the regional accent here (in German) so I guess I am more sensitive even in my mother tongue to picking up accents.

?????????!!!!!!!
Yorkshire accent is way better than american!!
c2010
?????????!!!!!!!
Yorkshire accent is way better than american!!

I think it sounds dull - and no one can understand me when I use my Yorkshire accent :dontknow:
Bonged.

if thats not an embarrassing forced attempt at adopting Americanism into your speech then I don't know what is. :facepalm: You need to slap the **** out of yourself with your dumb double standards
Reply 77
SpiritedAway
I think it sounds dull - and no one can understand me when I use my Yorkshire accent :dontknow:

keep it!! :wink: it only sounds dull because it's you that's saying it! :smile:
c2010
one thing i don't get. why are "afro-american"'s called so if their origin is jamaica? obviously their origin is africa. :s

what the **** are you even talking about
Reply 79
Tha_Black_Shinobi
so in a class that was apparantly filled with black kids not one of them was Jamaican :rolleyes:

It wasn't filled. It was mixed. No there wasn't a jamaican. Maybe someone with a jamaican father. Most of the black kids lived with white mothers in white families. The only foreign black kid I remember was a girl called victory from uganda. The school, and most of its pupils, was based in a white majority 1930s housing estate in south west london.

Latest

Trending

Trending