The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Firaila
I'll admit it, I was at a Chelsea game, I put on a slight mockney accent, calling Tim Cahill a "fackin' cant" :ahee:

Did you see that ludicrous display last night? :ahee:
Reply 101
Bonged.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night? :ahee:

Which?
Reply 103

I see

Well played...sort of. :cool:
I think you're getting confused. A typical London accent sounds nothing like American gangsters.. I'm not sure what you're on about.

But it is a legit accent. Why are you finding it hard to accept people from London talking with a London accent...
MasterJomi
I think you're getting confused. A typical London accent sounds nothing like American gangsters.. I'm not sure what you're on about.

But it is a legit accent. Why are you finding it hard to accept people from London talking with a London accent...

This. People these days eh?!
Bonged.
Why do some people force themselves to adopt an accent according to their colour?

Because some people like following stereotypes? :confused:
I've no idea why.
Reply 107
i'm worried i force my accent because it's much thicker than that of anyone i know and my friends sometimes make fun of it.
i don't know how it happened though
Stettin
ugh the amount of white people who don't know ****. Yet feel necessarily to make a comment.

First of all. This form of slang is called Multicultural London English. It's not an imitation of Jamaican patois. If you have ever meet a Jamaican born and raised in Jamaica. You would notice that most of MLE has nothing in common with it. Words like blud and bowcat (something i suspect the op is) have been borrowed. Yet the vast majority of words and sentence structures aren't of Jamaican origin.

My English teacher told me that Queen Mary did a study and they found that MLE is a combination of Cockney,Bangladeshi and West Indian. Most of the influence comes from Londoners.

If you don't like it. Thats fine. I don't like a lot of dialects and accents in the UK. Just STFU about it. Complaining on the internet is just sad when we both know you would never step up to someone who speaks like that in real life and give them your two cents.

Eco said it best tbh.

You're points were
*Idiot white people speak MLE
*Black people speak like that.

What does that say about your opinion of black people?

That's not what the OP was talking about. They were talking about people who put on an accent because they're black/some other ethnic minority.

What on earth do you mean MLE isn't an imitation of Jamaican patois? It's almost a direct ripoff. When kids call each other 'bumbleclots' and 'blud', talk about their 'bredren' and say 'whinin' instead of 'winding', you're honestly trying to say they're not imitating Jamaicans?

And the culture, too? When they go to dance clubs and dance to songs about 'battys' and 'whinin down on da girls ya dun kno', you're saying they're not imitating Jamaica yet again?

And you probably wouldn't 'give your two cents' (an Americanisation by the way, notice how this works?) to someone who spoke like that because they'd say "What you sayin' blud? Fam I'll bang you in da face" before promptly stabbing you in the stomach. Sorry to say.
Reply 109
najinaji
That's not what the OP was talking about. They were talking about people who put on an accent because they're black/some other ethnic minority.

What on earth do you mean MLE isn't an imitation of Jamaican patois? It's almost a direct ripoff. When kids call each other 'bumbleclots' and 'blud', talk about their 'bredren' and say 'whinin' instead of 'winding', you're honestly trying to say they're not imitating Jamaicans?

And the culture, too? When they go to dance clubs and dance to songs about 'battys' and 'whinin down on da girls ya dun kno', you're saying they're not imitating Jamaica yet again?

And you probably wouldn't 'give your two cents' (an Americanisation by the way, notice how this works?) to someone who spoke like that because they'd say "What you sayin' blud? Fam I'll bang you in da face" before promptly stabbing you in the stomach. Sorry to say.

:yep:
Reply 110
najinaji

Thats the kind of talk of someone who doesn't know anything. You're only noticing the surface. Blud, batty and bamberclat are words that are easily spotted because they aren't normal english words. The vast majority of words and sentence structures has nothing to do with Jamaican. Out of the two sentences you've said. Only one word had anything to do with Jamaican patois.

Let me ask you one question. Have you even heard of Jamaican patios? Have you? If you have. If you actually meet Jamaicans. You can spot that MLE has barely anything other then a few loan words in common.

p.s. Loaning words is something that is common. 30% of the English language is basically borrowed from other countries. English is a Germanic language yet our language is filled with french and Latin terms.

Are english people imitating the french and the Italians?
Stettin
Thats the kind of talk of someone who doesn't know anything. You're only noticing the surface.

I live in a pretty 'diverse' area, so I've seen plenty of Jafakens in my time. I'd say I'm a fair judge on the subject.

Stettin
Blud, batty and bamberclat are words that are easily spotted because they aren't normal english words. The vast majority of words and sentence structures has nothing to do with Jamaican. Out of the two sentences you've said. Only one word had anything to do with Jamaican patois.

Language goes a tad further than that, though. The accents kids put on, saying things like "ma wifey was whinin down on me lyk ya dunno fam" has a lot of Jamaican influence, surely? Or "ay blud, dem teachers were chattin sh** about me". I would agree that there's a dollop of American influence too, but a large dose of Jamaican is definitely there.

Stettin
p.s. Loaning words is something that is common. 30% of the English language is basically borrowed from other countries. English is a Germanic language yet our language is filled with french and Latin terms.

Are english people imitating the french and the Italians?

There's a difference between the evolution of a language over time and a dialect. If someone were to say "Ziz rosé, le scent was trés magnifique", you could rightly say they were copying the French. However, if you were to say "That woman has a certain allure about her", it's simply saying a word that has been in common usage for some time and happens to have been borrowed from the French.
Reply 112
najinaji
I live in a pretty 'diverse' area, so I've seen plenty of Jafakens in my time. I'd say I'm a fair judge on the subject.

Note. Diversity doesn't equal = MLE.

Language goes a tad further than that, though. The accents kids put on, saying things like "ma wifey was whinin down on me lyk ya dunno fam" has a lot of Jamaican influence, surely? Or "ay blud, dem teachers were chattin sh** about me". I would agree that there's a dollop of American influence too, but a large dose of Jamaican is definitely there

I'm actually questioning if you know what you're debating about let alone the merits of the language. That bolded part is just wrong. Not only that. The Jamaican influence on it is just one word. I'll say it again. People who say Jamaican imitation are people who are barely exposed to it. When these people hear Jamaican words they focus on that and ignore the rest of the sentence.

There's a difference between the evolution of a language over time and a dialect. If someone were to say "Ziz rosé, le scent was trés magnifique", you could rightly say they were copying the French. However, if you were to say "That woman has a certain allure about her", it's simply saying a word that has been in common usage for some time and happens to have been borrowed from the French.

That line you gave as an example. Out of 7 words. Only one was english and the other was a mangled word. MLE is nothing like that. It's closer to the your second example. If you disagree. Then thats more then enough evidence that your chattin ****.
You know what I hate even more OP? When non-Americans use American spellings. Nothing pisses me off more:

Mom - mum
Math - maths
Airplane - aeroplane
Pedophile - paedophile

Etc, etc. Me and the States just don't get on I suppose...
MasterJomi

Landan Landan Landan accent aye.

I had to recently sit on a plane with a few Southerners recently, who had the cheek to tell my my (Manchester) accent was 'fanny'.

Shudder
:zomg:
Stettin

I'm actually questioning if you know what you're debating about let alone the merits of the language. That bolded part is just wrong. Not only that. The Jamaican influence on it is just one word. I'll say it again. People who say Jamaican imitation are people who are barely exposed to it. When these people hear Jamaican words they focus on that and ignore the rest of the sentence.

That line you gave as an example. Out of 7 words. Only one was english and the other was a mangled word. MLE is nothing like that. It's closer to the your second example. If you disagree. Then thats more then enough evidence that your chattin ****.

I think we should just agree to disagree. I've heard plenty of 'MLE' (far too much) and I still think it rips off Jamaican patois. There you go.

MLE: "Wagwan blud. Safe fam, safe fam. Blud knows me an' ting."
(Patois highlighted in bold)
Stettin

I think we should just agree to disagree. I've heard plenty of 'MLE' (far too much) and I still think it rips off Jamaican patois. There you go.

Reply 117
lovely_me
You know what I hate even more OP? When non-Americans use American spellings. Nothing pisses me off more:

Mom - mum
Math - maths
Airplane - aeroplane
Pedophile - paedophile

Etc, etc. Me and the States just don't get on I suppose...

Or every goddamn book I had to buy for English Lit being written in bastardised english. Sorry I mean bastardized.
Stettin

Let me ask you one question. Have you even heard of Jamaican patios? Have you?

Actually, I've got one. It's looking great in my garden at the mo :ahee:

Spoiler

najinaji

"fam" is not patois. "blud" is not patois. Try again please darling

Latest

Trending

Trending