The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 1
Bank of Scotland offer up to £3000 over 5 years, rather than RBS which is only £2000. So it depends on how much you think you'll be needing. Clydesdale also offer up to £3000. Co-op are supposed to be good as well. Lots of good info on here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/Student-bank-account
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Ragardless of bank account your sig is awesome! :biggrin:

(I'm with Santander and they've been great.)
Reply 3
I went into RBS in Newcastle only to be told that I had to actually be in Scotland to get the rail card. I was unamused but I'll head along to RBS on the Monday of Freshers Week, get it set up and then ring Student Finance to update my details.
Reply 4
LGF92
I went into RBS in Newcastle only to be told that I had to actually be in Scotland to get the rail card. I was unamused but I'll head along to RBS on the Monday of Freshers Week, get it set up and then ring Student Finance to update my details.

You can apply for in online and then send your passport and stuff to them.
I did this because there is no RBS in Northern Ireland.:frown:
Reply 5
Oh-WOW

That's the thing, there are two and a half weeks left so I might actually just be better off waiting til I get there. :P:
Reply 6
LGF92
That's the thing, there are two and a half weeks left so I might actually just be better off waiting til I get there. :P:

Yeh. I guess so.
I'm still waiting on RBS sending me the information, a week later. I hope it gets here in time for me to send it back and to get my passport back before I get there.
Reply 7
I can't recommend Lloyds TSB highly enough – they've been very helpful to me when I've needed it. RBS on the other hand, who I was originally going to go with, were nothing but useless.
My parents moved to Scotland in July, which means I am ordinarily resident in the UK now, but had been living outside of the UK prior to that.

According to RBS today, I could not open a Student Account because I hadn't been living in the UK for the past 3 years. Anyone else have experience with this?
Reply 9
charlotteee123
My parents moved to Scotland in July, which means I am ordinarily resident in the UK now, but had been living outside of the UK prior to that.

According to RBS today, I could not open a Student Account because I hadn't been living in the UK for the past 3 years. Anyone else have experience with this?

No bank will consider you for any kind of credit (student accounts, credit cards, overdrafts) until you have a 3 year residence history in the UK. It's terrible news for any overseas student.
predius is right. They will give you basic bank facilities though, a cash card and an account. Maybe a debit card if you're lucky.
Reply 11
Oh-WOW

Were you able to get the railcard by doing this? When I tried to apply from NI, they removed any mention of the railcard...
Reply 12
AdvWar
Were you able to get the railcard by doing this? When I tried to apply from NI, they removed any mention of the railcard...

I had no problem. I filled in a form online and they sent me stuff out in the post. I just posted it all back to them today.
I hope I still get the railcard because thats why I went with RBS.
You could phone them and ask?

Latest

Trending

Trending