The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - What course/university should I pick for my 5th choice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Has anyone applied for Medicine and Pharmacology as their 5th choice? Is it a "safe" option? I'm just trying to find possible alternatives to Biomedical sciences.
Organ
I thought this and then realised that if I came out with ABB then I couldn't reapply, however if I apply smart it would be enough to get me on a relevent science course, and once finished I could apply for graduate medicine. The 5th option I'm applying to (biomedical genetics at Newcastle) also allows a small number of people to transfer into the medicine course at the end of the first year.

Are you only applying to AAB medical schools? I went with a mix and ended up with an AAA firm and AAB insurance. I wouldn't have risked turning down a med school offer for an ABB course, even if it meant I missed having a place if I dropped two grades.
Reply 62
OrmondDrone
Are you only applying to AAB medical schools? I went with a mix and ended up with an AAA firm and AAB insurance. I wouldn't have risked turning down a med school offer for an ABB course, even if it meant I missed having a place if I dropped two grades.

I don't understand your question :s-smilie: Most medical schools are no longer AAB as of this year - and no, as it stands all my options are AAA. Why would I be turning down med school offers?

My point is that I might as well apply for the course because I may on results day get ABB, this will mean I will miss any offers I have, it will also mean that I won't be able to take a gap year and reapply (because my grades will be too low). Therefore I will go on the ABB biomedical course and apply for GEP....
Organ
I don't understand your question :s-smilie: Most medical schools are no longer AAB as of this year - and no, as it stands all my options are AAA. Why would I be turning down med school offers?

My point is that I might as well apply for the course because I may on results day get ABB, this will mean I will miss any offers I have, it will also mean that I won't be able to take a gap year and reapply (because my grades will be too low). Therefore I will go on the ABB biomedical course and apply for GEP....

AAB is still possible at a couple of places isn't it? Keele for instance? And Manchester say that they want AAA but will still consider people who miss by a grade (presumably not in chemistry). My point was just to ask if you got an AAA and an AAB offer, whether would you reject one of these as your insurance in favour of ABB to do a biomedical course? Just curious as I'd still go with the two med school offers - even at AAA - and pray for leniency.
Reply 64
My 5th choice will be pharmacy at Aston University, Birmingham.

Will i have a good chance there with a medicine personal statement.
Reply 65
Renal
Why do you care?

Because I do. I do not wish to take a gap year. I'd rather complete a science degree and apply as a graduate both inside and outside of the UK. Most medical schools outside of the UK are graduate entry anyway so it's all good (: Plus I'm not quite sure if I could score the HL 6 in English needed by most universities.

So do you think I'll have a chance at Edinburgh for Biomedicine?
Or is that too idealistic?
Reply 66
la.polista
Because I do. I do not wish to take a gap year. I'd rather complete a science degree and apply as a graduate both inside and outside of the UK. Most medical schools outside of the UK are graduate entry anyway so it's all good (: Plus I'm not quite sure if I could score the HL 6 in English needed by most universities.

So do you think I'll have a chance at Edinburgh for Biomedicine?
Or is that too idealistic?
Fine. You have a chance at Ed, less than you would at East London and more than you would at Cambs.

p.s. It's not a gap year unless you have a place.
Reply 67
Spongy

I would suggest offering to write them a pharmacy personal statement, to boost your chances. I would suggest contacting them before anything else. Mind you - you have to be prepared to spend the next 4 years studying pharmacy and potentially having to do it for the rest of your life. Are you up for that?
Reply 68
Fusilero
I would suggest offering to write them a pharmacy personal statement, to boost your chances. I would suggest contacting them before anything else. Mind you - you have to be prepared to spend the next 4 years studying pharmacy and potentially having to do it for the rest of your life. Are you up for that?

It will be my fifth choice, if worse comes to worse i wouldn't mind becoming a pharmacist but i will consider that if i receive no offers. I'm not keen on taking a gap year but my view might change. I'm not interested in doing a biomedical science degree. I've only chosen it as a backup - ideally i want to do medicine :rolleyes: .
Reply 69
Renal
Fine. You have a chance at Ed, less than you would at East London and more than you would at Cambs.

p.s. It's not a gap year unless you have a place.

Right.
Cheers for the insight, it's either Edinburgh or UCL for fifth choice then.
what is a good 5th choice which is not lab based but is respected for graduate medicine?
UCAS deadline tommorow:

For my 5th choice I was considering Biomedical sciences at southampton or leicester but bioscience courses are predominently lab-based anyone got any advice on other courses I could look at?

Thanks!
:smile:
Reply 72
Neuroscience always interested me personally - do you think I would be able to use this as my 5th choice with the possibility of graduate entry for medicine? :smile:
Reply 73
sweetdiamond
UCAS deadline tommorow:

For my 5th choice I was considering Biomedical sciences at southampton or leicester but bioscience courses are predominently lab-based anyone got any advice on other courses I could look at?

Thanks!

I know that you prefer non-lab based degree as the 5th option but have you considered applying for Mpharm? I know it sounds a bit weird but research about it online or through UCAS. There are certainly better job prospects than ,say ,Biomedical science for example. (IMO :p: )
Reply 74
Spongy

You needn't to worry. I know plenty of people (me included) who got offers from pharmacy courses with a completely medicine orientated personal statement.
sweetdiamond
UCAS deadline tommorow:

Thanks!

Not all bioscience courses are predominantly lab-based o_O The Life Sciences courses at manchester have a blend of lectures, seminars and lab practicals, and Manchester is totally better than Soton or Leicester. And they interview you, which means you get some experience in what a uni interview is actually like (Imo it helped me when my medical interviews came around)
Reply 76
please can some1 with honest intentions guide me because i honestly have no clue what to do.my college sucks, they dont know anything ....
so for my AS i got ABB, im being predicted a*bb , the b's in bio &chem

theres no way i'll get in2 medicine with that so i AM considering a gap year but i still want to apply this year, (in the case of me not getting A's at A2- then i dont want 2 retake a2 coz my chances will be even lower and i dont have any extentuating circumstances)-
so im thinking of applying to 2 pre-med courses and no idea for the rest!
my personal statement is medicine based-
i dont know what bio med is like and neuroscience either-they all sound fun on the prespectus but i want 2 know what its actually like..
can some1 suggest and plan out my life 4 me basically..thanks. lol
So I'm applying for medicine for 2011 entry. I was just wondering whether - since I'm gonna put Speech Sciences as a fifth choice - it would be detrimental at all to my application for Speech Science, if I don't end up getting in anywhere for medicine, because my whole application would be about medicine and nothing on Speech Sciences.

Is it an acceptable insurance choice? Or should I just aim to apply for something else like biomed?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
(edited 13 years ago)
diskohuelga
So I'm applying for medicine for 2011 entry. I was just wondering whether - since I'm gonna put Speech Sciences as a fifth choice - it would be detrimental at all to my application for Speech Science, if I don't end up getting in anywhere for medicine, because my whole application would be about medicine and nothing on Speech Sciences.

Is it an acceptable insurance choice? Or should I just aim to apply for something else like biomed?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

I'd ring up wherever it is you want to apply for Speech Science and explain that you'd be applying with a medicine PS, and you could always ask if you could send them separately a PS dedicated to Speech Science. Either that or they may want to interview/meet you to test your dedication to SS. I applied to Pharmacy as my 5th and was fine, but I think that depended on the uni you applied to as to whether or not they'd accept it.
Reply 79
Th best thing to do is e-mail the university and ask if they'll accept a different Personal statement. I applied for Biomed last year as my fifth choice and was rejected by them first for "not showing any interest in the course" so this could happen with any course in reality.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending