The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

invictus_veritas
Errm Warwick certainly has an economic history module in first year although I can't remember if it's compulsory or not but it covers the political economy side in the core micro and macroeconomics courses in first and second year if I remember rightly, but doesn't split them into another paper as Cambridge rather generously does.

Generously? :rofl: Those papers require about twice as much work as the others put together to even scrape 2.1s.

invictus_veritas
I say generously because it's easier to pass modules on political economy and get a 2:1 in them but it's much easier to both fail and get a first in standard economics modules. At least that's what I've found although (for better or for worse I'm not sure!)

Haha no - Economic History always results in the worst marks and hardly anyone gets a 1st. Politics is a little better but also not great.

invictus_veritas
I think my course has a core element which is more quantitative than Cambridge's...

Maybe in 1st year when all the quantitative parts are put in one paper (Quantitative Methods [essentially pure maths and stats]), but in 2nd year it gets heavily integrated into the Micro and Macro, as well having an essential Econometrics paper. Obviously I don't know what your course is like, but our 2nd year was very mathematical (which I liked :biggrin:).
It's ok. I am guessing you're applying for mixture economics + X rather than straight? If so, you're ok.
Yes (but not by much), but if you get good AS grades (90+) then it could make up for it.
Lack of A*s.
Honestly, focus on your A levels and then worry if you don't get what's expected. GCSEs do matter in the sense that, my friend, who was wanting to study Biology, didn't quite get the grade he needed in Biology to be accepted onto the course. They looked at his GCSE results though and he'd got an A in Biology so they gave him the benefit of the doubt. They may use it to decide between 2 students (if one had all A*s/As and the other As/Bs, they're more likely to choose the A*s/As candidate). I really shouldn't worry about it, just choose your A levels wisely and study hard for them and you'll be fine.
Warwick has got a lot more competative, but my brother is there doing Physics and although he got 3 As at A level (this was before A*), for GCSE he got 2A*, 3As, a B and 4Cs. Granted, he says that he has lower GCSE results than all his friends there, but his A*s and As were in Maths and Sciences, which is what is most important for his course. If he was applying to do English (which he got Cs in), I doubt he would've been accepted though. As long as the good grades are in the relevant subjects, it shouldn't matter as much.

EDIT: Also, can I add that he is on track for a first in his degree, whereas one of his friends who was more of an all-rounder, didn't get through to the 4th year of the course. Basically, say for a Physics degree, just cos you're good at English, it doesn't make you any better at Physics and I'm sure top universities will know this.
thegenius31416
Just got my GCSE results and I underperformed a bit. I should have got 9A*s and 2As (with A in Add Maths) but I ended up getting 7A*s and 4As (with A in Add Maths).

My question is: Since Warwick and LSE are now asking for so many A*s (according to this forum, 9), how badly will my chances at these universities be affected by the fact that I have not quite achieved the number of A*s they seem to be looking for?

Thanks.

Lol Warwick? You might as well roll around in dirt.
Nope. Soft/hard is irrelevant at GCSEs.
Forgot the remark. You still have Good GCSEs and if you get good A levels, then there isn't much of a problem. Also, if you ever considering applying to US universities (Top ones HYPS etc), your GCSEs won't count against you. The economics course at LSE is there star and PPE is - arguably - Oxford star, so these two courses are of course going to be very competitive.
Reply 29
Chunderonme
Lol Warwick? You might as well roll around in dirt.

Lol Theology?
roginho
Lol Theology?

Lol, Netherlands? At least I live in a real country.
It's only 1 UCAS space.
Chunderonme
Lol, Netherlands? At least I live in a real country.

He did A levels, studied at LSE and will study at Cambridge. How does he not live in the same place as you?
Annoying-Mouse
He did A levels, studied at LSE and will study at Cambridge. How does he not live in the same place as you?

You don't have to live in the place you study. :fyi:
Chunderonme
You don't have to live in the place you study. :fyi:

:lolwut: If I go and study in the USA, I live in the USA but i'm from the UK.
Reply 35
no they are awful GCSEs Thames valley better watch out!
Annoying-Mouse
:lolwut: If I go and study in the USA, I live in the USA but i'm from the UK.

Not if you commute :fyi:
You have 6A*, most applicants have 7/8A*, you're not that far behind everybody else. I am sure people have gotten in with the same amount.
Chunderonme
Not if you commute :fyi:

Commute from Netherlands to UK regularly?
Annoying-Mouse
Commute from Netherlands to UK regularly?

Yes. Via Hot Air Balloon. :fyi:

That's what your mum said anyway.

Latest