The Student Room Group

Birmingham University

Hello Everyone!

I really want too study medicine at Birimingham (Im in year 10 going into 11.) However, on their website they specify 6-7 A*'s at GCSE. I know a lot of people say A level grades are more important (AAA needed) but if I achieve this without the 6-7 A*'s would I still stand a shot, especially if I volunteer at a hospital. By the way what age is best too start volunteering?

Any help would be SO helpful.

Thanks guys!
xxxx

Scroll to see replies

If you don't meet the minimum admissions criteria there is no point in applying. It doesn't matter how good the rest of your application is, you'll just get rejected.
Reply 2
You will be rejected from Birmingham if you have less than 8 A*s (may even be 9 A*s by the time you apply) unless if you have a good reason why you 'underperformed'.
littlelamb123
Hello Everyone!

I really want too study medicine at Birimingham (Im in year 10 going into 11.) However, on their website they specify 6-7 A*'s at GCSE. I know a lot of people say A level grades are more important (AAA needed) but if I achieve this without the 6-7 A*'s would I still stand a shot, especially if I volunteer at a hospital. By the way what age is best too start volunteering?

Thanks guys!
xxxx

Any applicant having anything less than 8A*s at GCSE would be binned at Bham instantly. Sorry if this freaks you out but that is the harsh reality at Bham. I got told by the admissions tutor not to apply and I have 7A*s. He said for 2011 entry (this year) it has been upped to 8.5A*s and as the above poster said it might be upped even further for your entry.
Reply 4
:frown: I better revise my butt off then!

Thanks guys!
Reply 5
littlelamb123
:frown: I better revise my butt off then!

Thanks guys!

Or choose a less ****** med school tbh.
Reply 6
:L fair enough:smile:
Reply 7
littlelamb123
However, on their website they specify 6-7 A*'s at GCSE. I know a lot of people say A level grades are more important (AAA needed) but if I achieve this without the 6-7 A*'s would I still stand a shot, especially if I volunteer at a hospital.

No. For Birmingham grades are everything... you wouldn't have even got an interview with 7A* this year.
Reply 8
Birmingham? Lmao..... :moon:
Reply 9
Like everyone else says, no.

Also, inb4peoplecomplainingaboutbirmingham'ssystemjustbecausetheydon'tmeetthegrades.
Don't stress about the admissions requirements at this stage - just focus on getting the best GCSE results you can. Once you have your results you can check the medicine wiki and see which medical schools are likely to be a good match given the grades you have - hopefully Birmingham will be among them :smile: If you don't get a silly number of A* grades then don't worry - medicine is still possible. All the best.
Reply 11
littlelamb123
:L fair enough:smile:

Nah it's completely up to you. I just think Bham's approach to admissions is ***** :wink:
Reply 12
littlelamb123
Hello Everyone!

Thanks guys!
xxxx

No, and it's 8A*s now.
Reply 13
Hmm what do you think the entry requirement will be for dentistry? i know it's AAA for a level buts for GCSEs..?
I'm sure its not as demanding as medicine ..
Reply 14
Abed1993
Hmm what do you think the entry requirement will be for dentistry? i know it's AAA for a level buts for GCSEs..?
I'm sure its not as demanding as medicine ..

Its something like 4-5 A*s at GCSE.
>8/9 A*s = 100% of offer
<8/9 A*s = 100* of rejection.

Simples.
Alex D
Nah it's completely up to you. I just think Bham's approach to admissions is ***** :wink:

I agree, though having a BMAT or a UKCAT cut-off is the same thing really.

EDIT: The success rate post-interview is the thing that is frankly disgusting.
Woah, you're an early bird...I don't even think I knew Birmingham University existed when I was in Year 10
Reply 18
Nucleolus
Woah, you're an early bird...I don't even think I knew Birmingham University existed when I was in Year 10

My thoughts exactly...I used to still play Pokemon in Year 10. :facepalm2:

And stop hating on Birmingham. :adore: It's my only realistic chance of getting into med school.
Reply 19
Ohh, I think Birmingham have such an excellent admissions process, in which you are practically guaranteed a place providing you have 8* + at GCSE. I mean, GCSE grades are such a good indicator of intelligence, and academic ability and all that........

Latest

Trending

Trending