The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Carpet21
I'm ashamed to say I was born in Manchester. :sad:

tut tut...I suppose we can make an exception for you...

My sister was born in Iraq though, and she is well on her way to being a dentist. :laugh:

true Iraqi

You can imagine the stick I get when I explain to people that I want to do medicine of my own accord (truth). :rofl:

haha, I get the same...they never seem to believe me when I say I actually want to do medicine and that my mum isn't forcing me...she wants me to do law :itsamystery:
Carpet21
I'm sorry to butt in but so am I! :ninjagirl:

OP - The admissions tutor at BSMS told us that they can automatically disregard several hundred applications simply because they haven't met the basic requirements. :woo:

Hey

R u talking about darren beany???and did u attend that 3 day brightmed compact course this summer?:woo:
Tzarchasm
I disagree that we would disagree too much.

Manchester is similar to Mosul so it's all good.

My mum keeps on repeating that she never forced me to head into medicine but when I ask her if I can do something else she says no.

I think we need to solve this the Iraqi way.....an empty road...2 AK-47s...and whole load of bullets.....

then best one to do the crazy wedding dance in which bullets are fired into the air wins :biggrin:

haha, Manchester is probbably more dangerous..so its cool

My mum says she will let me do whatever I want to do....

as long its medicine, law or dentistry...that's her way of bieng free thinking and liberal :yep:
Reply 63
goodboy4444
Hey

R u talking about darren beany???and did u attend that 3 day brightmed compact course this summer?:woo:

Yes!! And no I didn't have to because I had done the course over 4 and a half years, but my friend did! Darren is a total legend. :yep:
Reply 64
Tzarchasm
Manchester is similar to Mosul so it's all good.

My mum keeps on repeating that she never forced me to head into medicine but when I ask her if I can do something else she says no.

True true. :cool:

So you don't actually want to do medicine?! :p:

infernalcradle
haha, I get the same...they never seem to believe me when I say I actually want to do medicine and that my mum isn't forcing me...she wants me to do law :itsamystery:

I know!! Although my mum wants me to be a teacher...she became an engineer in Iraq, so I think she now wants to live her dreams through me. :rofl:
Sparkly-Star
I swear it said 'hello anecdotal evidence thread' when I clicked reply? :erm: :p: Anyways! Hi! How's everything going? :grin:

yeah that was my above comment :p:
then i quoted you :h: yeah I'm all good, counting down the days till uni :biggrin: yourself?

got so many of my mates into iSketch :teehee:
mel3
But if I am applying for philosophy how am I supposed to have relevant work experience. I always thought that the personal statement should be focused on the academics only, apart from stating one's motivation. I would assume that most people don't have work experience that is actually relevant, or?

To quote the Cambridge site:
"Unlike some universities, we do not make offers based on UCAS points and we do not regard extra-curricular activities as being in any way necessary for success in our courses."

you know you are in the medicine forum, right?

edit: for philosophy you can't do any work ex, but could do some volunteer work and claim you extracted polemical viewpoints from it
I doubt it really matters though, just do a shed load of reading and referrencing
Reply 67
WrigglyMammoth

By the way I'm sorry we've turned your thread into the most unrelated thing ever. :rofl:
Carpet21
True true. :cool:

So you don't actually want to do medicine?! :p:

I know!! Although my mum wants me to be a teacher...she became an engineer in Iraq, so I think she now wants to live her dreams through me. :rofl:

haha, my mum wanted to be a doctor, but ended up as a pharmacist...I daresay that she has been using reverse psychology on me to get me to do medicine....which is even worse as I do psychology and so should know about it....
Carpet21
By the way I'm sorry we've turned your thread into the most unrelated thing ever. :rofl:

I don't mind

at least my thread is getting attention
Carpet21
Yes!! And no I didn't have to because I had done the course over 4 and a half years, but my friend did! Darren is a total legend. :yep:

He is really cool!!4 years....:eek:...did u attend that medical conference in worthing?
Tzarchasm
You did what?! How did baba, mama, ammo and every other member of the extended family react?

Yo yo!

Was anyone actually born in Iraq? I was. :biggrin:

I was born in Iraq, too, haven't been back since.

Baba and mama - I got into a good university for psychology so they hung onto that for a little while.
Extended family - "... but habibti, you're so smart."

You can imagine the number of phone calls that took place the month I decided to apply for medicine. :wink:
Reply 72
Phalanges
You get some. Someone at my Newcastle interview didn't know what a foundation year doctor was.

I only decided about a month before the deadline that I wanted to do medicine. I wouldn't say that meant I wasn't serious about it.

No, but you probably a) didn't do it on a whim b) knew what the entrance exams were c) knew how long the course was (I kid you not) ... etc
Reply 73
Phalanges
I'd done the UKCAT and had work experience, but I hadn't decided whether to apply for medicine or not yet.

^ See, you actually knew something about it. He didn't have any work experience, and didn't know about the UKCAT when he sent his UCAS off. He slammed it (i'm talking near 800) and is apparently good at interviews -- hence offers. The Uni's he got into had a high UKCAT cut off and put emphasis on it.. the one that doesn't he didn't get into.

although you hadn't decided you'd clearly actually looked into it and were considering it seriously. Which is different from being like 'oh medicine cool' 2 weeks before.

It does make you wonder though :eek3:
JordanCarroll
yeah that was my above comment
then i quoted you :h: yeah I'm all good, counting down the days till uni :biggrin: yourself?

got so many of my mates into iSketch

Oh okay. :mmm: Going through the scary process of applying to uni (for med) and preparing for the UKCAT. :yep: Haha! Good! :laugh: I am going to play it right now. :mmm:
Reply 75
Phalanges
I'd done the UKCAT and had work experience, but I hadn't decided whether to apply for medicine or not yet.

same here, + running out of time :s-smilie:
Reply 76
goodboy4444
Hey

I was at the 3-day course, you too? :smile: I was too late to make the deadline for the worthing conference though. Weird I could actually have seen someone on TSR in real life,,,
Fusilero
I've been looking at the barts website for where those cut offs are, can you tell me please? Thank you. :smile:

They're not published. If you ring admissions they'll confirm my figures. They set the cutoff based on that years cohort. So the cut off isn't defined untill they've received all the applications for that year.

Latest

Trending

Trending