The Student Room Group

Any other Languages applicants for 2011?

Scroll to see replies

Callum Riseley
I'm applying for German and Spanish, my heart is set on Glasgow. I will be doing Spanish ab initio (although I will have a GCSE in it by the end of the year!)

Oooh we are applying for the same course! :smile: Only with the ab initio/post a-level the other way round; I'm applying for Spanish and ab initio German...I can't wait to start learning German! (If I get any offers!)
Karishma.18
Hi, I don't know which universities you are considering applying to but I know that Newcastle and some others allow you to take 3 languages as part of the modern languages course (I'm not sure whether they offer the combination you want though!)
In terms of picking between French and German I would definitely agree with you about graduates in German being in higher demand than those with French, so it depends what you want to get out of your course. If you want to go and do something you love and won't struggle too much with then you could choose French, but if you are setting out from the start to maximise your employment prospects then maybe German would be better for you. I will also be applying for German :smile: Best of luck making your decision x

Yup Newcastle and Birmingham are the only two I can find that offer the 3 languages I want. So hopefully one or both of them will like me...
Thanks for the advice, I think German's probably a better idea :smile: And from talking to admissions tutors it's often possible to switch languages (if there's room on the course) so I suppose I can change my mind although probably best not to bank on that. Good luck applying for German :smile:
I haven't made my mind up yet, I'm considering either doing French and Spanish (both post A level) or doing a BA modern languages and picking up german as well :s-smilie:
Me!!! :biggrin: Scandinavian Studies with a concentration in Swedish! Although, I'm rather interested in getting into some Norwegian, as well, but not so far in depth.
Reply 64
IllnessIllusion
Does anyone have any opinions on French/German? I want to do Japanese, French and German, but most places only let you do two languages so I'll have to pick French or German.
I'm about equal standard in both languages (in my AS there was one mark difference), and I enjoy them more or less equally. I do find that French comes more naturally but I've heard (and can imagine) that German is a) less competitive and b) graduates are more in demand. I know I have to make the decision for myself but any advice anyone has would be appreciated =)

My friend is studying French German and Japanese at Manchester Met starting this year. She seems pretty happy with the place! Three languages does give you greater career prospects, but it's alot of hard work.

I already have a deferred place at Sheffield for Japanese next year, so maybe I'll be seeing some of you there?? I didn't like the city so much as SOAS or Oxford, but the reputation led me there in the end- and I'm very happy with my choice. Then again, I live in Lancaster, so Sheffield cannot possibly be any gloomier than here....
Reply 65
I've applied for French and German (Ab intio German) at Manchester, Cardiff, Nottingham, Liverpool and Lancaster :-) I'd ideally like to go to Manchester :-)
Thats my UCAS in! :smile:
Newcastle, Lancaster, Aberdeen, Hull & Ulster :smile:
Reply 67
dcampbell609
Thats my UCAS in! :smile:
Newcastle, Lancaster, Aberdeen, Hull & Ulster :smile:

Come to Hull ! :woo:
Paparazzi
Ooh, other languages applicants!! Well I'm applying for English Lit and Spanish joint at Oxford, Leeds, Manchester and Lancaster probs. Don't know about a 5th option as the course isn't offered at many places... suggestions (something in the ABB-BBB sort of region)

http://www.le.ac.uk/ugprospectus/courses/modern_languages/rq43.html
This course has some aspects of English language in it too, but is still quite literaturey IMO :smile: I considered this before deciding I want to study 2 languages. Best of luck! x
jeg_o
Oooh another Cambridge applicant. What college?

Trinity Hall, you?
Reply 70
juxtai
My friend is studying French German and Japanese at Manchester Met starting this year. She seems pretty happy with the place! Three languages does give you greater career prospects, but it's alot of hard work.

I already have a deferred place at Sheffield for Japanese next year, so maybe I'll be seeing some of you there?? I didn't like the city so much as SOAS or Oxford, but the reputation led me there in the end- and I'm very happy with my choice. Then again, I live in Lancaster, so Sheffield cannot possibly be any gloomier than here....

My heart is set on Sheffield at the moment, want to study Modern Languages there - French, Spanish & ab initio Russian if they offer it.

I have Sheffield, Nottingham, Bristol, Leicester and Exeter down as my 5 choices, just got to do my work experience at the local newspaper and tweak my personal statement a bit and I'll be sending off by application by the end of October.
French and Italian (both post A level) at Durham, Leeds, Bristol, Warwick and Birmingham :biggrin:
Reply 72
OllieCT
My heart is set on Sheffield at the moment, want to study Modern Languages there - French, Spanish & ab initio Russian if they offer it.

I have Sheffield, Nottingham, Bristol, Leicester and Exeter down as my 5 choices, just got to do my work experience at the local newspaper and tweak my personal statement a bit and I'll be sending off by application by the end of October.

Awesome. I may indeed see you there then! I did fall in love with Sheffield after seeing it, so I'll cross my fingers that you get in. :smile:
French, Spanish and Russian, eh? That's quite some combination though! :eek:
Reply 73
I assumed one course the same as me :biggrin:
Good luck
(edited 3 years ago)
blahblah16
French at UCL, Oxford, KCL, Nottingham & Bristol
Anyone else going for just French?

:hi: I am!
(edited 13 years ago)
blahblah16
You're also applying to Bristol :smile: Have you already applied? It's the only place that has actually emailed me acknowledging me!

They haven't acknowledged me as of yet, no. Although my college only sent my application to UCAS yesterday so that's why! :p:
Have you visited Bristol? It's one of my wildcard choices (so to speak) as I've never actually visited it, just done loooads of research. :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
blahblah16
Never visited either but I definitely will if I get an offer. It's not my top choice though but it looks really good!

Same here, if they're kind enough to offer me a place then I'll go and have a snoop around. :p: They don't have many single honours French students (28 rings a bell) and I quite like the sound of a smaller department, you'd feel less like a number. Well that's what I'd hope anyway.

What's your first choice? I'm tied at the moment between Warwick and Sheffield, I loved them both!
blahblah16
Oxford or UCL although I doubt I'll get in. It's just the waiting at the moment that's annoying me!!

Oh la la! Extremely good unis. :biggrin:
Tell me about it! Mine was only sent off yesterday but I'm already anxious. Just keeping my fingers crossed that somewhere will want me! :o:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 78
juxtai
Awesome. I may indeed see you there then! I did fall in love with Sheffield after seeing it, so I'll cross my fingers that you get in. :smile:
French, Spanish and Russian, eh? That's quite some combination though! :eek:

Yeah same, I'm set on going there, I'd be devastated if I didn't get there.

Yeah I did Russian at Business Language level so would be good to pick that back up and become highly skilled in it.

I'm also applying for Journalism & Hispanic Studies at Sheffield now. Hopefully will see you there, will probably comment back here when offers have come back etc and tell you the (hopefully) good news!
German and Spanish!
Applying to Oxford, Bristol, Sheffield, Durham and Cardiff :smile: Only got acknowledgements from the latter 2, still waiting on the rest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending