The Student Room Group
Reply 1
i applied for 05 entry and had a written.. well, i wouldn't quite call it a test, it's more "here's a poem, just write about/analyse it". you've got something like 45 mins for it and after your interview you just get sent down to this room with tables set up in a rectangle, and you do the test (without any teacher/supervisor in there) starting whenver you enter, and there'll be people doing it at the same time around you.

the poem we were given seemed to be a four quatrain poem by someone like byron or browning (roughly around that period anyway). i think it was byron because there was something to do with shelly in it, if i recall correctly.

anyway, it's nothing to worry about. my ucl interview was probably just as intense as the oxford one, if not, more. but then again i don't think i'm that good at interviews. actually, i don't know why i juxtaposed the first two sentences of this paragraph, but oh well. all i mean is that if you get through the interview fine, the written test shouldn't be too much of a problem at all.
Reply 2

Do you know when the tests/interviews are roughly?

Did you get an offer?
Reply 3
test was mid jan i think, and it took around 4 weeks or so for the rejection to come through.

my terrible performance in the interview (not having the faintest about something i was meant to be doing on the syllabus at school) and pompous style towards the end of the written test (saying things like "it doesn't take one to pick up their latin-english dictionary in order to see the clear etymological links between the title of the poem and its context" didn't really help my application :redface:
Reply 4
Haha! interesting :wink:

Thanks for your help to my queries. Now i shall i have to flip a coin between UCL and Warwick.
Reply 5
I got in. Piece of piss.
Reply 6
I applied a while ago (for 2001 entry). I was given a Donne poem to prac crit. And there was an interview, that has completely vanished from my memory (odd: I remember the Cambridge ones). Except that, there were two people interviewing me, which I found tricky.

Warwick interviews as well, you know....
Reply 7
anycon
I got in. Piece of piss.

:rolleyes:
Reply 8
tests make me nervous !!!!!
Reply 9
Tests have a funny habit of making me write absolute drivel. Strange that.

Latest

Trending

Trending