The Student Room Group
Reply 1
The 'simplest' (in terms of knowledge) method is just to write r = (x, y, z); then to take the vector equation as 3 simultaneous equations, and eliminate the two variables you don't want (the :biggrin: and :wink: in your post).

You can also go via an equation of the form r.n = d, or once you get more familiar with them you'll be able to write out simple ones like that directly, but the above is the basic solution.
Reply 2
the problem i have is that the 3 equations i get are x= 2 + :biggrin: ; y= 1+ :biggrin: ; z= 1+:wink: and since i suck i dont know how to eliminate those two variables.
Reply 3
Well you can easily get a relationship between x and y. z can be any value.
Wikiwa
the problem i have is that the 3 equations i get are x= 2 + :biggrin: ; y= 1+ :biggrin: ; z= 1+:wink: and since i suck i dont know how to eliminate those two variables.

Eliminate :biggrin: to get a relationship between x and y. The parameter :wink: isn't actually relating z to either of x or y here (and of course nor is :biggrin:), which implies that z is independent of x and y, and so won't show up in the resulting equation. :smile:

If it helps, consider a simpler problem: find the Cartesian equation of the line r = (2, 1) + :p:(0, 1). (But before you do that, draw it so that it's obvious what the answer's going to be.)
Reply 5
really o.o? thats the answer? z can be any value? so i just write x-y=1? bah i was thinking about z being any value in the bus >_>
i came here in search of a discussion about jet engines
Reply 7

lol :P sry for misleading tittle
THE STUDENT RUSE

me too :frown:
Reply 9
Bloody hell, I got a brain freeze by the second post
I came here to tell you all I kknew about commercial airplanes :s-smilie:
What the ****? You can use :biggrin: and :wink: in maths?!
Reply 12
OP, if you find a vector (say, (:smile:,:s-smilie:,:mad:) ) which is perpendicular to both (1,1,0) and (0,0,1) then dotting both sides with it will give you something in the form (:smile:,:s-smilie:,:mad:) · (x,y,z) = (2,1,1) · (:smile:,:s-smilie:,:mad:) [the other two vectors on the RHS disappear because they're perpendicular to the vector you've dotted them with]. Expanding both sides of this gives you an equation in Cartesian form.

Unbiased Opinion
What the ****? You can use :biggrin: and :wink: in maths?!

There's no reason why not... what makes letters so special?
nuodai
There's no reason why not... what makes letters so special?

I don't see them as letters or whatever, I just see them as smiley faces. :teehee:
Reply 14
What the???

The title is so misleading :frown:
Reply 15
****, i don't remember anything about planes
Reply 16
ranbow99
What the???

The title is so misleading :frown:

Well it's question, and it's about planes, and it's in the maths forum :p:

Latest