The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
StudentJ
Hey guys! I am about to go into my fourth year of Comp Sci at Warwick this year! So if anyone has any questions about first year modules, I would be happy to help (If I can remember back that far :P )

Can you tell us what the work loads like in the first year ?

How much programming do we do, 1 programming assignment a week ?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 61
racshot65
Can you tell us what the work loads like in the first year ?

The work load isn't excessive, no big projects till second year! Maybe a few problem sheets every week. But you will still have plenty of time to go out, join socs etc.

racshot65

How much programming do we do, 1 programming assignment a week ?

In terms of programming, at Warwick there is quite a bit of theory as well as programming. In my first year we had two mini java projects in 1st term, and a larger one towards the end of the academic year ( I cannot remember the exact dates )

There are also a number of labs you are marked on, however these are quite straight forward and are just to help you develop your programming skills.

While this may seem a lot it is well spread out and unless you leave things to the last minute you should have no trouble keeping on top of things. Also there is always someone, lecturers, PHDs, even some older years :smile: , that are willing to help explain stuff if you are stuck!

Hope this has been of some help! All this info is based on my first year so may have changed a little by now but hopefully it has been some help! :biggrin:

Warwick is a great uni and I am sure you will enjoy your time there!
Reply 62
I'm thinking

CS134 Introduction to Computer Security - 15 cats
IB104 Mathematical Programming I - 12 cars
ST104 Statistical Laboratory I- 12 cats

Thats 39 Cats

Any comments / Is that too many ?
Reply 63
racshot65
I'm thinking

CS134 Introduction to Computer Security - 15 cats
IB104 Mathematical Programming I - 12 cars
ST104 Statistical Laboratory I- 12 cats

Thats 39 Cats

Any comments / Is that too many ?

CS134 I found very interesting, was a few tricky bits.
IB104 was just messing around with spread sheets for coursework, plus was an open book exam when I did it :woo:

As for ST104 I have no idea as I didn't do it as I very much dislike stats :p:

I wouldn't worry about being slightly overcatted , sometimes it can work in your favour! :biggrin:
Reply 64
Like StudentJ I'm going into the 4th year of CS at Warwick (hi! I wonder who you are given there's only about 16 of us left now :tongue:)

For optional modules generally you can't go far wrong if you pick modules with the Computer Science Department as you know they'll always teach you any basics and won't assume you know stuff from elsewhere unless it's been taught. With modules from other departments you sometimes might have to read up on stuff.

ST104 is with the stats department and I did it along with a guy who did maths from my halls. It's an optional module for other departments as well and there were A LOT of mathematicians who did it. The class size was much bigger than anything you get for CS modules so you at least get to see some of the bigger lecture theatres and meet more people from out of your course. As for the actual module, it's very basic introductory stats. If you've done any stats before, even just like a single module during maths then chances are you'll have done much of it before. And again, it's an open book exam which is nice

What I tend to do is go to the first 1/2 lectures of all the optional modules that seem half interesting and then choose from there. You don't need to have decided anything before you get here. For optional CS modules you can drop them much much later in term (some other departments are more strict with registering and dropping modules)
Reply 65
BelowPar
Like StudentJ I'm going into the 4th year of CS at Warwick (hi! I wonder who you are given there's only about 16 of us left now :tongue:)

For optional modules generally you can't go far wrong if you pick modules with the Computer Science Department as you know they'll always teach you any basics and won't assume you know stuff from elsewhere unless it's been taught. With modules from other departments you sometimes might have to read up on stuff.

ST104 is with the stats department and I did it along with a guy who did maths from my halls. It's an optional module for other departments as well and there were A LOT of mathematicians who did it. The class size was much bigger than anything you get for CS modules so you at least get to see some of the bigger lecture theatres and meet more people from out of your course. As for the actual module, it's very basic introductory stats. If you've done any stats before, even just like a single module during maths then chances are you'll have done much of it before. And again, it's an open book exam which is nice

What I tend to do is go to the first 1/2 lectures of all the optional modules that seem half interesting and then choose from there. You don't need to have decided anything before you get here. For optional CS modules you can drop them much much later in term (some other departments are more strict with registering and dropping modules)

Thanks for your advice I think I'll do what you suggested

I did two stats modules at AS level and did really well and I enjoyed it as well so I will probably end up taking it

The only thing is it says on Warwicks website I get my timetable the day after I pick my modules ?

Do I not have to pick them before October 4th for this to work ?
Reply 66
racshot65

The only thing is it says on Warwicks website I get my timetable the day after I pick my modules ?

Do I not have to pick them before October 4th for this to work ?

As you are able to drop modules easily (as long as you don't leave it too late) I tend to register for any modules that I think sound interesting, knowing I am going to drop some, then go to all the lectures for the first week.

After week 1, I then drop the ones I know I won't enjoy until I have the right amount :smile:
Reply 67
Does anyone know anything about:

PH123 Elements of Scientific Method - 6 cats

?
Reply 68
Hey guys! Unlike StudentJ and BelowPar, i will be going into my 2nd year of Comp Sci this year and one thing for sure is that my first year was awesome.

Generally, the workload is alright as you would be getting on average one assignment per week and these should be fairly easy to work out if you follow your lectures and do some extra reading ( don't think people ever do extra reading but it would have helped me a lot if i did!) The assignments are mostly the maths modules like CS130 and CS131 and are normally due the following week upon release. I strongly recommend attending the seminars because these are where you can actually learn something and point out any queries you have on topics taught during lectures.

To be honest, lectures are the most boring place to be because there doesn't seem to have any interaction between lecturer and students and this is where half of the class ends up having sweet dreams. (But its funny watching those who sleep and the worst ones would rock their heads and me and a friend would call them 'fishing'). One lecture i can warn you of boredom is CS133, you'll find out for yourself and it gets progressively boring throughout the term!:eek3:

For most computer scientists, you'll be curious to know what programming languages you'll be adopting, projects to be done, programs to write or even robots to program, don't worry the first term will be based entirely on learning the Java language (that is for the CS118 module - Programming for computer Scientist) and developing a program to control a robot to find its way in a maze! This will be a project that will cost you relentless hours of work in front of your PC but in the end it will all pay off. However for those of you with no computer background you need not worry because the project will be done in numerous stages and each stage contains step by step instructions to write the programming. The good thing there are plenty of people to help you if you are stuck, be it friends, lectures or even students from 2nd and 3rd years as many would be around in the department.

i will not say further but this is pretty much the 1st term of comp sci and the rest is for you to experience and enjoy. One fact is Computer science and systems will count 10% towards your final degree which i find unfair as most courses don't count. regardless of that, its only your first year so make as many friends as possible, join as many socials you can try and try a sport and of course balance your studies too then you will have no problem in your first year! Good luck to all of you joining us this coming year! Keep me posted for any advice...
Reply 69
racshot65
Does anyone know anything about:

PH123 Elements of Scientific Method - 6 cats

?

lol..i did not do this module but i remember checking one past paper and one question was - What is life?. funny enough this small module is from the philosophy department and still many people take it to slightly over CAT. Two common optional modules are CS134 - Security and IB104 - mathematical programming which totals up to 27 CATS.
Reply 70
Ivan888
lol..i did not do this module but i remember checking one past paper and one question was - What is life?. funny enough this small module is from the philosophy department and still many people take it to slightly over CAT. Two common optional modules are CS134 - Security and IB104 - mathematical programming which totals up to 27 CATS.

Thanks for the description of the first year :smile:

I dont think 'Elements of the Scientific Method' is for me then lol
Reply 71
So how are we going to know who we've been talking to here when we get there ?

Do we want to ? :lolwut:
racshot65
So how are we going to know who we've been talking to here when we get there ?

Do we want to ? :lolwut:

Elementary my dear Watson :holmes:
Reply 73
I suggest we all come dressed as Spartan Warriors to make it easy to identify each other ?
racshot65
I suggest we all come dressed as Spartan Warriors to make it easy to identify each other ?

If we're all spartan warriors how will we know who's who?

also do you mean halo spartans or greek spartans?
Reply 75
Greek ?

and Tattoo our usernames across our chests ?
racshot65
Greek ?

and Tattoo our usernames across our chests ?

lol I'll do it but I know I'll be the only one.....
Reply 77
XD tbh i don't think im going to be coming in topless first day
Reply 78
The easiest way to get to know each other before hand is to join the Comp Sci group in Facebook! Done..
Reply 79
link?

Latest