The Student Room Group

I hate my teeth

My teeth are white, they're just really, really crooked. I can't smile in pictures without them looking horrible. I always cover my mouth with my hand when I laugh, and I just feel uncomfortable smiling with my mouth open. I get constantly paranoid that people keep looking at my mouth when I'm talking. My parents have reassured me that they're not that bad, but I just feel that they are.

I got offered braces when I was about 13 but I'd have to have several teeth taken out and I was already terrified of dentists. I've overcome that fear now, but I feel that if I get braces now I'll feel like smiling even less and feel so unconfident for 2 years. I'm really close to my boyfriend of 2 years but haven't even told him how insecure I am about my teeth. He's really good looking and I'd feel worried that he'd fine me unattractive with braces in. I really want ivnisalign but there's no way I can afford it - does anyone know how much it costs? I know it's thousands!
Seriously get braces. They will save your life :smile:

Invisalign varies on treatment, but yes, thousands.. 3,4k+... at least.
Reply 2
I've heard in Japan they love that type of thing? :dontknow:
I wear Invisalign which are basically invisible braces. All I say is no one notices it (you'd need to be about 10cm away to notice them), I'm so used to it now that it's feels weird having them out. There are obvious drawbacks which include cost of up to 4.5K(they don't go on NHS), your eating habits change a lot and the constant brushing a flossing.

Fire some question at me if you want. :smile:
Reply 4
I was watching a dental surgery on a man with really crooked teeth and i have to say that the result was brilliant. I have no idea how they did that but his teeth were so straight and ofcourse i think that is worthy the money,however i dont how much does that cost.
When i see threads like that i thank god mine are super straight! :teeth: :biggrin:
Reply 5
get normal braces, they really arent that bad, and just talk to your bf, if you've been going out for two years then im sure he'll understand! I really doubt he'll dump you for it!
Good luck, with whatever you choose :smile:
Get them 2 years is worth a life time of great teeth. And if your boyfriend finds you unattractive with them than you can do a lot better than him.
Go for the braces. Can't you get invisible ones? :dontknow:
Reply 8
yoyo462001
I wear Invisalign which are basically invisible braces. All I say is no one notices it (you'd need to be about 10cm away to notice them), I'm so used to it now that it's feels weird having them out. There are obvious drawbacks which include cost of up to 4.5K(they don't go on NHS), your eating habits change a lot and the constant brushing a flossing.

Fire some question at me if you want. :smile:

I thought they'd be that expensive :frown: how crooked were your teeth before, if you don't mind me asking? I think mine aren't as bad as I think they are, but I've seen 'before and after' pics on the net and the people's teeth weren't really that bad in the first place! I've heard that Invisalign may not be possible if the patient's teeth are 'too crooked'. :frown:
there's different types of braces you can get, but it depends on what your teeth are like and how they meet.
On the NHS I think you have to be under 18 and in full time education (not sure though), to get them for free, and they will be the metal type of braces.
There are also some others called ceramic braces, I have these right now. When I was younger I had the metal and my teeth managed to get bad agai, haha, so I have braces for the second time and I am much happier this time. the ceramic braces are translucent so they look the same colour as your teeth, they aren't invisible, but a lot of people haven't noticed them as of yet.. just when you're talking and stuff they don't show that much. These I do't think are done on the NHS and cost a bit more than the metal ones, but work as well.
Next is invisalign. These are like the retainers you wear after you've had braces on. They are very costly and can actually only achieve optimal results in some cases... wheras with the convnetional braces you can get the best results. Although invisalign look the best, they have other drawbacks - you need to wear them for at least 20-22 hours a day, you need to brush after every meal and drink when you have them or it can lead to cavities on your teeth, and you normally have to wear about 20-30 different sets, personally I actually find the convinence of having braces fixed to my teeth a lot easier than having things I could remove and choose when I want to wear... if you get invisalign you HAVE to be really good with the amount of time you wear it or it will end up being a waste of money.
Finally, theres lingual braces. these are like the metal ones, but are at the BACK of your teeth, so not seen when you smile and stuff. They are very expensive again because each one on each tooth is custom made, they take longer to work as well generally, and when placed on the lower teeth they can cause difficulty with speaking.

At the end of the day, all types of braces have positives and negatives... but I thoroughly recommend if you are unhappy with how your teeth are, that you get it fixed because the boost in your confidence will be worth it. If you want a good website look at www.bracesreview.com, they have loads of people who are wearing braces and talk about their own experiences with them, drawbacks, positives etc. Good luck :smile:
Reply 10
your right invisalign isnt available for everyone if your teeth are too severely crooked - my work place has now started offering braces which are placed lingually and palatally so they go along the back of your teeth rather than front - this way no one can see them and the train tracks are the best way to straighten teeth....but this does cost £6000 :/ ...the normal ones that go along the front cost £3000 and they're not that bad - we do clear brackets so you cant see the little boxes on your teeth - the only thing visible would be the wire but its very thin and most of the time you cant even tell its there....if your very severely depressed about this you can get it done on the NHS but its very rare....its more for people who feel suicidal about appearance
Reply 11
kookoo_koochoo
x

damn you beat me to it :p:
Reply 12
My advice to you is to get braces... I'm guessing you're still eligible for them free.

They can be annoying at times, painful for like 1 day when they are adjusted but you get used to them so easily and I used to be similar to you (though not quite as bad) I hated my teeth, and it makes me so happy now to have straight teeth, I can actually smile with my mouth open like a normal person and look like I'm actually smiling in photos and I still have my braces on, it's gonna be even better when I get them off!

Although if you really don't want them then try looking at your parents. It was one thing I considered when deciding if I should have them- I realised my natural teeth were EXACTLY the same as my mums, and she has got on just fine in life and smiles and looks beautiful... so it can be done. But if it's making you unhappy then go for braces- you may as well while they're free! Plus so many people have them nowadays you won't be the odd one out.
Anonymous
I thought they'd be that expensive :frown: how crooked were your teeth before, if you don't mind me asking? I think mine aren't as bad as I think they are, but I've seen 'before and after' pics on the net and the people's teeth weren't really that bad in the first place! I've heard that Invisalign may not be possible if the patient's teeth are 'too crooked'. :frown:

I know how you feel, everyone says they don't look bad but you feel like they're horrendous. Pretty much everyone who knows I have them in (which is very very few) have said 'why do you have them you have straight teeth'. I don't mind you asking me since I've become a lot more confident when it comes to my teeth. They weren't crooked, I had quite straight teeth but they were arched out too much (an overbite) which I didn't like. I've only had my aligners in for about 12 weeks and I can already see the difference not just in my teeth but with my confidence, I smile soo much more and I'm much more confident when I speak to people :biggrin:.
Reply 14
I have ceramic braces at the moment and they've cost me £2200

How old are you? Its pretty difficult to get braces on the NHS if you're over 18 and there are massive waiting lists if you do manage it. The only person I know who is an adult who is having braces is 27 and has been on the waiting list for 3 years, and she needs jaw surgery so is quite a severe case.

The orthodontist that I go to is an NHS and Private one, but most of the parents of the children are actually paying for their treatment, which suggests to me that its actually more difficult to get braces on the NHS than people think. I have a feeling the rules in relation to orthodontics may have changed recently so a lot more teenagers are being refused treatment.

By the way - I also saw 3 dentists for Invisalign before deciding on the ceramic ones. The cheapest consultation I had was £2500 but she wanted to charge £500 on top for every adjustment that was needed (and she didnt know how many, bit of a con really!!) and the most expensive was just under £4000.
I would go for ceramic braces which i have, they are a lot less noticeable than standard braces. Mine cost £1800 and i could pay in installments.

Latest