The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
are you fishing for compliments? a maths degree is pricesless.

you can get into stock broking, financial jobs ect...
thats where all the money is, and a maths degree gives you that chance
Not my cup of tea at all, but I can see how it could be very useful.
Reply 22
Look, there are 3 types of people. Those who can count and those who can't.

Personally i've failed maths so many times I can't even count. When am i ever going need to use the binomial theorem?
Reply 23
Lots of people say it gives you useful skills that can be applied in real life, like thinking logically. But this it what maths professors tell you. Do you really need to know all that gobbledogook to learn how to make logical decisions in business and whatnot? Evidently you don't.
please do not make me smack you Maths is one of the most important things in the universe and everyone should do it for they're own good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00dwf4f/b00dwf1w/The_Story_of_Maths_The_Language_of_the_Universe/
Lazy92
Look, there are 3 types of people. Those who can count and those who can't.

Personally i've failed maths so many times I can't even count. When am i ever going need to use the binomial theorem?

I do hope this was worded in this way deliberately.

And you won't ever need to use the binomial theorem, but a vast number of people in probabilty and statistics areas will, and it's quite nice.
Reply 26
you can do actuarial which has huge salary i guess more than a dr. As you take exams along after uni
Reply 27
but i wonder like log where can you apply in the real life.
Reply 28
a level stuff sometimes doesnt make sense
Reply 29
i did math a level just 2 make me busy
Reply 30
anyway math has many doors
Reply 31
anyway math has many doors so many careers you can approach to
al_habib

Please try to group all your comments into one post, there's no need to flood the thread....
Reply 33
ForGreatJustice
I do hope this was worded in this way deliberately.

And you won't ever need to use the binomial theorem, but a vast number of people in probabilty and statistics areas will, and it's quite nice.

Yeah, well it's no accident. I'll just stick to what i do best...addition and subtraction.
Reply 34
yes, yes it is...
Reply 35
A lot of people do Maths degrees because Maths is awesome and they can't get enough of it. That's pretty much my excuse... but then that also invariably ties into a career based around Maths (e.g. academic research, teaching, code-breaking for the gov't). There are other Maths-related careers that a lot of people go into (e.g. IB, other finance jobs), and then there's the world of jobs which require "a degree" rather than a degree in anything specific.

The actual things you learn in a Maths degree really aren't going to be very useful in everyday life (unless you're in a career directly related to it); but when is anything in any degree going to be? Are you ever going to need all the facts you learn in a History degree to be good at middle-management in an office? People always ask when what you learn is Maths is ever going to be useful but never ask the same question about other subjects, and I really don't understand why not.

kratos90
Lots of people say it gives you useful skills that can be applied in real life, like thinking logically. But this it what maths professors tell you. Do you really need to know all that gobbledogook to learn how to make logical decisions in business and whatnot? Evidently you don't.

Speaking of logic, if the skills you obtain aren't necessary it doesn't mean they're not sufficient; and the way the job market is these days, having "necessary" skills isn't enough.

al_habib

Oh my jeebus, please stop posting!
Have you not seen 'Good Will Hunting'? You can get laid by Mini Driver and strike up a really good friendship with Robin Williams and Ben Affleck if your good at Maths!

What are you waiting for?
Reply 37
wivout mafz cannabiz wud be rubish n every1 b hipiez, fkin hipiez
No, there's actually a variety of jobs that you can go into with a maths degree, as well as others.
Reply 39
Focus08
1) Get A*A*A*, and the STEP requirement you need
2) Go to COWI, get at least a 2.1
3) Off to Goldman Sachs
4) Watch it rain $$$$$$$$

lol

Latest

Trending

Trending