The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! I'm a third year now going into my second year in JBH! Congratulations you've landed the best hall in St Andrews!
I'm sure you'll have a great time, there is at least one other user on here who has also been allocated JBH, he's a fresher too. As for the detailed info on the hall, I wrote a pretty long and detailed description in the Ultimate St Andrews Accommodation thread here (I was avoiding an essay at the time hence the amount of detail!): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=24023822#post24023822

It's also a good idea to join the facebook page for JBH-10/11 if you haven't already, there's info on freshers events, a useful list of stuff to bring and you can ask what your room is like too, I'm sure one of the boys will know!

JBH is small, but has a great community spirit. We do enjoy a good party, but if thats not your thing then don't worry, there's more to us than that! :biggrin:
(Also, I see you're doing computer science, well there's a guy in hall who also does that and is I think coming into his 4th/5th year...he's posted on the facebook page so if you announce that that is your subject on the discussion board then I'm sure he'll be able to then answer any questions you have!)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
I'm going to JBH, I'm on the ground floor of the annexe though!
Reply 3
yodude888
I'm going to JBH, I'm on the ground floor of the annexe though!

Ooo the annexe is lovely, I recently stayed in there during the Open but I live in the main hall during the year. There's a good mix of people in there, I believe the kitchens are the place to hang out with other annexe dwellers, otherwise the main hall is the place for the more social of the annexe people :yep:
Reply 4
Wasps26
Ooo the annexe is lovely, I recently stayed in there during the Open but I live in the main hall during the year. There's a good mix of people in there, I believe the kitchens are the place to hang out with other annexe dwellers, otherwise the main hall is the place for the more social of the annexe people :yep:

Ah very cool! Is there any way of coaxing some of the main-hallers to the kitchens of the annexe, using but the promise of food not containing potato? :wink:

I'm sure I'll spend most of my time in the annexe though! If the piano's really out of tune I might go mad enough to try to raise money to pay for its tuning haha
Reply 5
Wasps26

So does my address mean I'm in the main hall? :smile:

And thanks for the reply, I read your article about the accommodation and it seems to suggest that it is a bit irregular for me to receive a single room as a fresher?

It sounds great though :p: party hall all the way sounds ideal to me.
Reply 6
WHITKA
Hello All,

I have just got my accommodation offer through for John Burnet Hall :smile:

Not sure what to make of this as I know relatively little about it / I was wondering if anyone else had also received this accommodation. :yep:

JB/2.08 John Burnet Hall

:smile:

Looks like I'm just down the hall from you. Looking forward to meeting you.
Reply 7
Oharad
Looks like I'm just down the hall from you. Looking forward to meeting you.

Oh really, whats your address :smile:

yeah you too.
Reply 8
Shall we try and round up all the second floorers?

If I wanted to bring in a guest to my room or something, is there any fuss over it? i.e, are non JBH allowed in the building?
Reply 9
Oharad
Shall we try and round up all the second floorers?

If I wanted to bring in a guest to my room or something, is there any fuss over it? i.e, are non JBH allowed in the building?

Sounds like a plan :smile: Hope not - already got some people wanting to come stay :biggrin:
Reply 10
Can't wait for the new year, although I actually have to do work this year :frown: But still it'll be great!

WHITKA - yep you're in main hall! All Annexe rooms have 'A' before the room no. and that is weird for you to get a single, it doesn't have 'a' or 'b' after the room no. does it?! If not then that is a single and is quite rare! Bit of a win there, but then some people love sharing so it depends if you're bothered or not!

Oharad - Non-JBHers are allowed in hall yes, but we have to be careful who we let in! It used to be a bit of an open door policy until a couple of incidents; one night a load of very drunk ex residents came in and trashed the place :frown: Another night a weird man was found wandering around Killmallie (the girls section of hall) who claimed to be looking for somebody but gave the name of a girl who nobody had ever heard of and most definitely did not live in hall :frown: Ever since we've been a lot more careful about who we let in!
Obviously if it's just mates from other halls visiting randomly you just let them in yourself, but if its people coming to stay overnight then you'll need to sign them in in the book in front hall. Not quite sure what the deal is in terms of beds etc but thats something you can ask about when the time comes!

Yodude888 - Many a main-haller will love you if you promise to feed them exotic things!! And in JBH anything not including potato in one form or another is considered exotic! And thats a great idea actually we should start a fund in hall to get the piano tuned! Can you play? I play a bit but I'm not great, but there are some pretty good pianists in hall actually :biggrin:

Looking forward to meeting the three of you, it'll be another great year I'm sure!
Wasps26

Yodude888 - Many a main-haller will love you if you promise to feed them exotic things!! And in JBH anything not including potato in one form or another is considered exotic! And thats a great idea actually we should start a fund in hall to get the piano tuned! Can you play? I play a bit but I'm not great, but there are some pretty good pianists in hall actually :biggrin:

Looking forward to meeting the three of you, it'll be another great year I'm sure!

Wahey! Piano tuning has to be done, I'm determined lol. I'm ok, but not brilliant. I've been playing for 7 years but I've never taken any lessons. (jazz/blues/etc.)

I promise I will figure out some exotic stuff to cook for you then :p:

Can't wait to be over
Reply 12
I can't wait to get to John Burnet! I've been speaking to a couple of second and third years on facebook and it sounds absolutely brilliant!! I took the purity test and got 45.
Paul92
I can't wait to get to John Burnet! I've been speaking to a couple of second and third years on facebook and it sounds absolutely brilliant!! I took the purity test and got 45.

Lol oh **** I got 34.
Reply 14
If you live at JBH, what do you enter your term time address as?

Line 1: Room number
Line 2: Building
Town: St Andrews
County: Fife
Postcode: Whatever

Is this correct?
Reply 15
Oharad

Is this correct?

There are a couple of ways of doing it, the automatic fill in thing puts the 'University of St Andrews' in there but most people tend to do it as follows:

6.66 John Burnet Hall
Links Crescent
St Andrews
Fife
KY16 9JF

That postcode by the way is the genuine postcode for JBH, as is the street 'Links Crescent' but you can leave that off. If you want to put 'University of St Andrews' on there then either before the John Burnet Hall line of after is the norm but again you dont need to put it on. With forms and stuff its a good idea to put your room no. down but with mail you don't have to as long as the mail has your name on it (can't think why it wouldn't!) because all the mail is put in the dining room and not sent to your room!
And as a note to potential stalkers: this is an example, not my actual room number or anybody elses! There aren't six floors :wink:
Reply 16
Oharad

Is this correct?

What time do you reckon you'll arrive on the Saturday? :smile:
Reply 17
Really unsure.

I'd like to get there for about 2-3ish so I've got time to unpack, settle in and meet people before the dinner at 6pm.

Is the dinner the only event I need to worry about that day?
I'm on fl 2 as well... PM if you are desperate to network :biggrin:
anyone in annexe?

Latest

Trending

Trending