The Student Room Group

Dogs tongue cures athletes foot?

Well basically, I've been suffering from quite bad athletes foot around my little toe on my right foot for a couple of months. I've been to see a GP who gave me some cream to help with the swelling and another to get rid of the fungal infection. These never seemed to work and if anything it got worse.

Now here's the weird bit. Last week I was sitting in the living room, bare foot because my socks were rubbing against the toe and the dog comes in and begins licking the toe. At first I was a bit weirded out and stopped him from doing it, thinking it may hurt my foot further or give the dog some infection. However, he insisted on carrying on (it felt quite nice lol) so I let him. Within a couple of days, the infection was clearing up and the swelling reduced massively.

Is there some kind of cleaning qualities a dogs tongue has which means it can clean infections etc? I don't think it's coincidence...
Reply 1
Anonymous
Well basically, I've been suffering from quite bad athletes foot around my little toe on my right foot for a couple of months. I've been to see a GP who gave me some cream to help with the swelling and another to get rid of the fungal infection. These never seemed to work and if anything it got worse.

Now here's the weird bit. Last week I was sitting in the living room, bare foot because my socks were rubbing against the toe and the dog comes in and begins licking the toe. At first I was a bit weirded out and stopped him from doing it, thinking it may hurt my foot further or give the dog some infection. However, he insisted on carrying on (it felt quite nice lol) so I let him. Within a couple of days, the infection was clearing up and the swelling reduced massively.

Is there some kind of cleaning qualities a dogs tongue has which means it can clean infections etc? I don't think it's coincidence...

Well, a dog's saliva is full of antiseptic and antibacterial enzymes...
Reply 2
v-zero
Well, a dog's saliva is full of antiseptic and antibacterial enzymes...

That would probably explain it.

Cure to athletes foot = Get a dog
Reply 3
Anonymous
That would probably explain it.

Cure to athletes foot = Get a dog

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2005/10/18/saliva-for-athletes-foot/

Latest