The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lmao, this OP is too funny. :p:

genxxx
Just be yourself… I myself hate it when white people approach me with the “I love bob Marley” line or start trying to put on some Caribbean dialect or a bit of slang, I find it sooo patronizing. We don’t expect to you to be what your not. Just be you.

What about if i say that i love Nicki Minaj?
Reply 61
Chocothunder
Hey all,

First of all, I feel I should begin by stating categorically that in no way am I racist, and that I am a firm believer in equality and harmony between different races, religions and sexes.

That said, I have a major problem with black people: I just don’t know how to speak to them. I think that the problem is that I’m terrified of unwittingly saying something insensitive to them, and being accused of racism/apathy towards black issues. Because of this, whenever I speak to a black person, I find myself almost trying to suck up to them and their cultural heritage, e.g. I constantly address them as ‘mate’ or ‘bro’ (which sounds incredibly odd due to my received pronunciation), compliment the achievements of people like Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks, pretend to be in awe of reggae and rap artists (whom I actually despise), claim to be Samuel L Jackson’s biggest fan etc. :s-smilie: It’s weird, because every time I start doing it, it sounds really forced and untrue, and I vow never to do it again, but I always do… Most of the time I don’t even make a constant decision to do it, it just happens because I’m so nervous. And recently it’s got even worse: I’ve started peppering my speech with ‘black slang’, e.g. I’ll greet them with a friendly ‘yo’, talk about my ‘crib’ and say things are ‘hip’. :s-smilie:

Is this normal? Is it something that I should be worried about? What could I try and do in order to be less nervous around black people and to be able talk to them as I would with anyone else?

Thanks. :o:

Every time they come in the room just beat box like they did to me at school, for being black obviously.

Shoot, now that I look back, that was quite racist actually....
Reply 62
There's nothing to be afraid of. Be yourself and treat everyone with respect, regardless of their skin colour... I don't understand where this behaviour stems from, but it calls for some self-analysis.
Reply 63
QwentyJ
Just buy them a KFC and you will find that all tension you had with them will dissapate. :awesome:

Haha!!
I was about to get offended, but this is so true!
Chocothunder
Hey all,

First of all, I feel I should begin by stating categorically that in no way am I racist, and that I am a firm believer in equality and harmony between different races, religions and sexes.

That said, I have a major problem with black people: I just don’t know how to speak to them. I think that the problem is that I’m terrified of unwittingly saying something insensitive to them, and being accused of racism/apathy towards black issues. Because of this, whenever I speak to a black person, I find myself almost trying to suck up to them and their cultural heritage, e.g. I constantly address them as ‘mate’ or ‘bro’ (which sounds incredibly odd due to my received pronunciation), compliment the achievements of people like Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks, pretend to be in awe of reggae and rap artists (whom I actually despise), claim to be Samuel L Jackson’s biggest fan etc. :s-smilie: It’s weird, because every time I start doing it, it sounds really forced and untrue, and I vow never to do it again, but I always do… Most of the time I don’t even make a constant decision to do it, it just happens because I’m so nervous. And recently it’s got even worse: I’ve started peppering my speech with ‘black slang’, e.g. I’ll greet them with a friendly ‘yo’, talk about my ‘crib’ and say things are ‘hip’. :s-smilie:

Is this normal? Is it something that I should be worried about? What could I try and do in order to be less nervous around black people and to be able talk to them as I would with anyone else?

What a ****.
Reply 65
As a black person I will say just to be yourself. Don't act fake or do none of that rubbish. We're people just like you so don't worry. I can't say anything bad about you because, maybe, to you our culture is just different and we just seem 'different' but just relax and let your personality shine through. You'll be fine. :smile:
Reply 66
if OP isn't trolling, I'd be interested to know where he's grown up/lives??
Just act normal? dont change for nobody!
Reply 68
you're an idiot. act like yourself for God's sake, they can probably see right through you and laugh about you behind your back. They're humans like the rest of us, they don't like suck-ups or fakers.
Chocothunder
Hey all,

Well dude, just be yourself...

Personally, I usually see through a caucasian who tries to talk in a weird way because they feel they have to talk that way to interact with me. They are usually surprised by the time I start having conversations with them, because I suppose I speak properly, I like Rock , I enjoy golf/swimming and basically I dont fit into their preconceived perception of being black..... They end up feeling/looking stupid and i see clearly right through the fact that they are trying to say/talk in a certain way because I am black.

I think the best thing to do is to be true to yourself. As long as you are not being offensive(to me you sound like a pretty decent guy)

I think as an individual, you will agree with me that you will appreciate a person who is true to themselves when around you instead of trying to be what they are not ...wouldn't you?

Goodluck
Asha5692
Haha!!
I was about to get offended, but this is so true!

LOL
Reply 71
As long as you have your body armour on, you should be ok.
Chocothunder
Hey all,

I'm black, just act like you do around any other people. But that depends if you're talking about black people or BLACK people. I'm on TSR so it pretty much goes without saying I'm a black person. My friends are pretty racist to me but in a joking way so it doesn't really matter what you say. Some rumours have been spread but their are some stereotypes I can live with, if you know what I mean. :sexface:

QwentyJ
Just buy them a KFC and you will find that all tension you had with them will dissapate. :awesome:

Also, this is true.
Oh please troll
Reply 74
Just act normally. The only time when you should act differently around them is when they act like they’re Crips/Blood from the ghettos in the US. In that case, just don’t hang around them :biggrin:
Reply 75
Hooray_henry
I once said, 'sizzle on my nizzle, bizzle' as a friendly joke to a black person. He walked off afterwards. Since then I have been nervous.

LOL!
to call this a troll thread is to not give it the credit it deserves. This is social commentary executed through the art of satire
Reply 77
TheSownRose
No, he's Spanish.

So what you're saying is 'all non-white and non-British people look and are the same'? Racist pig. :mad:

Damn right I'm saying that! But at least I act the same when I'm around ethnic minorities: violently.

:ahee:
Chocothunder
Hey all,

lmfao, nah just lmao
how fake can ya get, in fact suck out u emo faggot
Reply 79
Chocothunder
Hey all,

But if serious

Why would you change who you are just because someone is a different ethnicity? All that shows is you're insecure in yourself.

Latest

Trending

Trending