The Student Room Group

Maths vs. Chemistry [A2]

Hey, I'm gonna cut to the chase - I need to drop either Maths or Chemistry for A2. I got As in both at AS, and I don't mind either. I found Chemistry AS relatively easy but the A2 stuff is a lot harder. Maths has never been my strong point but it's a subject where practice makes perfect. I need to decide by tomorrow morning :p:

I don't have a specific career in mind, but I'm looking at doing Geography or Natural Sciences (Geog, Psycho/Biology/Anthropology) at university.

What do you think I should drop? If you have anything to say about Maths/Chemistry A-levels for the future/their importance/their usefullness etc then please do!

If it helps, my other A2s will be Geography and Biology.

Thanks for any advice :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Maths, if I was you:wink: you are more likely to get an A and you wont have to deal with ISAs like in chemistry...:sigh:
Reply 2
Keep both :wink:
Like you said practice makes perfect, so by having maths you practice everyday for C3, C4 and S2 you can easily get an A.
Remarqable M
Maths, if I was you:wink: you are more likely to get an A and you wont have to deal with ISAs like in chemistry...:sigh:

Haha true about the practicals.. But I understood Chemistry reallyyyy well last year; we've had a few A2 lesson and my brain's gone BANG. On the other hand, maths is just maths - I don't particularly love it or hate it =\

Hanz_a93
Keep both :wink:

I actually could, but General Studies makes up my 4th A-Level :p:
CityOfMyHeart
Haha true about the practicals.. But I understood Chemistry reallyyyy well last year; we've had a few A2 lesson and my brain's gone BANG. On the other hand, maths is just maths - I don't particularly love it or hate it =\

I actually could, but General Studies makes up my 4th A-Level :p:

for the love of God:facepalm2: drop general studies and do both:p: unless your aiming for low ranked universities.
Remarqable M
for the love of God:facepalm2: drop general studies and do both:p: unless your aiming for low ranked universities.

General Studies is compulsary, do you really think I'd be doing it otherwise? :p: And it's 'done at home' so it takes up no time what-so-ever. Yay.

The thought of doing both maths and chemistry is making me want to cry :p:
Reply 7
You won't have to waste time doing stupid chemistry coursework if you take maths.

Anyway, i'd decide based on whether you're going to follow the natural sciences or geography route. For natural sciences, chemistry will come in more useful as you'll have to do biology that includes a lot of chemistry so grounding at A2 level would be a massive help. If you're going to be more likely to go for geography then go for maths; chemistry is unlikely to come up much in geography. Maths would avoid the chemistry coursework and you can never have too many mathematical skills.
Reply 8
I'd say stick with Chem. You may find it harder than Maths but if you're going for Natural Sciences, with more emphasis on bio, then chem will be more relevant.
Reply 9
KEEP BOTH KEEP BOTH KEEP BOTH

But if you HAVE to pick....... maths I guess, it's just a good one to have as it has transferable skills and can be applied to all sorts of other things yadda yadda yadda..... BUT KEEP BOTH
Reply 10
Keep them both.

General Studies requires NO time whatsoever

If you got As in both Chemistry and maths, you'll easily get at least a B in both.
Reply 11
CityOfMyHeart
General Studies is compulsary, do you really think I'd be doing it otherwise? :p: And it's 'done at home' so it takes up no time what-so-ever. Yay.

The thought of doing both maths and chemistry is making me want to cry :p:

Ooo, just realised you take Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Geography and General Studies. I took all 5 to A2 level and got B's in Chemistry and General Studies. I wouldn't take all 5 if i went back; it was a lot of work just to keep them on track especially after i messed my life up a bit in september to december; this made my 2010 really hard. Also, unis only look at 3 grades usually so it's best to take 3. However, Oxbridge (usually Cambridge) do sometimes make 4 A level offers if you take 4 so it would be best just to take 3 and get higher grades in them.
orca92
You won't have to waste time doing stupid chemistry coursework if you take maths.

Anyway, i'd decide based on whether you're going to follow the natural sciences or geography route. For natural sciences, chemistry will come in more useful as you'll have to do biology that includes a lot of chemistry so grounding at A2 level would be a massive help. If you're going to be more likely to go for geography then go for maths; chemistry is unlikely to come up much in geography. Maths would avoid the chemistry coursework and you can never have too many mathematical skills.

You've described my dilemma exactly :frown: Because I don't know what I want to do, I can't really choose. I doubt I'd do Bio in my Natural Sciences course but I might change my mind. I'm definately more a Geog/Anthro kinda-gal. CHOICES CHOICES!

ScrubZ
I'd say stick with Chem. You may find it harder than Maths but if you're going for Natural Sciences, with more emphasis on bio, then chem will be more relevant.

Some Anthropology courses contain Biological anthropology.. I'm wondering if I need Chemistry because I haven't seen it stated anywhere - though I haven't really looked properly :o:

TLDR
KEEP BOTH KEEP BOTH KEEP BOTH

But if you HAVE to pick....... maths I guess, it's just a good one to have as it has transferable skills and can be applied to all sorts of other things yadda yadda yadda..... BUT KEEP BOTH

LOL I sense a bit of bias :p:
Reply 13
Do chemistry.
qiaoyu.he
Keep them both.

General Studies requires NO time whatsoever

If you got As in both Chemistry and maths, you'll easily get at least a B in both.

Thing is, is having 4 (proper :p:) A-levels worth it? =\

orca92
Ooo, just realised you take Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Geography and General Studies. I took all 5 to A2 level and got B's in Chemistry and General Studies. I wouldn't take all 5 if i went back; it was a lot of work just to keep them on track especially after i messed my life up a bit in september to december; this made my 2010 really hard. Also, unis only look at 3 grades usually so it's best to take 3. However, Oxbridge (usually Cambridge) do sometimes make 4 A level offers if you take 4 so it would be best just to take 3 and get higher grades in them.

I'm not going to apply to Oxbrige; the highest I may go is Durham - not sure though. And yeah, I don't want to take 4 A-levels if it's going to be a waste of time.. but then I don't know how to choose between maths and chem =\ FFS maaaayn.
Kinkerz
Do chemistry.

Reason? :smile:
Reply 16
CityOfMyHeart
Reason? :smile:

You seem to be inclined to a geological/biological/psychological route. I think chemistry is more suited, but that's just my opinion.

Any maths you'll need will be relatively easy to pick up. The chemistry you'll need might not.
Reply 17
CityOfMyHeart
Hey, I'm gonna cut to the chase - I need to drop either Maths or Chemistry for A2. I got As in both at AS, and I don't mind either. I found Chemistry AS relatively easy but the A2 stuff is a lot harder. Maths has never been my strong point but it's a subject where practice makes perfect. I need to decide by tomorrow morning :p:

I don't have a specific career in mind, but I'm looking at doing Geography or Natural Sciences (Geog, Psycho/Biology/Anthropology) at university.

What do you think I should drop? If you have anything to say about Maths/Chemistry A-levels for the future/their importance/their usefullness etc then please do!

If it helps, my other A2s will be Geography and Biology.

Thanks for any advice :smile:

I did both for A levels and I found that like you at AS chemistry was easy and then it got harder so I had to put a lot more effort, with maths if you can do it requires minimal revision. It kinda depends on what board you are doing. Btw I struggled at A2 chemistry cos most of it was biology!
Kinkerz
You seem to be inclined to a geological/biological/psychological route. I think chemistry is more suited, but that's just my opinion.

Any maths you'll need will be relatively easy to pick up. The chemistry you'll need might not.

Fair point. Hmm I don't know what the Chemistry requirements for most courses are - do you know if most Biology-related courses need AS level chem or A2? I shall look into it more.. After Eastenders :p:
Prince11
I did both for A levels and I found that like you at AS chemistry was easy and then it got harder so I had to put a lot more effort, with maths if you can do it requires minimal revision. It kinda depends on what board you are doing. Btw I struggled at A2 chemistry cos most of it was biology!

I'm on EDEXCEL for both maths and chem. A2 chemistry looks really hard =\

Latest