The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'd bring Hitler with me.
All those who passionately believe in Marxism?
Haha, but no. I'd randomize it. Maybe.
Reply 22
Me, 100 ugly male nerds, and the rest beautiful women.
Reply 23
The 1,000,000 richest people on Eath
Also there'd have to be an age limit.
Can't be wasting a spot on somebody who can't even reproduce....
Skills/intelligence/areas of expertise, and atheism.
Anyone watched any of the Macross series? That's all I think about right now.
TheRealDarthVader
Especially since women in close proximity synch up their periods. It would be like one of the seven plagues of Egypt.

Lmao. Except there's only so much the waste disposal can handle.
TheRealDarthVader
Especially since women in close proximity synch up their periods. It would be like one of the seven plagues of Egypt.

Lol the guy wouldn't last. They'd all want children at some point, well most of them, and one guy ... erm yh yu get where im going :P
Margaret Thatcher

Area of expertise. Get the people you need to start a new life.

IQ and academics don't mean anything compared to experience.
Reply 30
This guy for entertainment purposes:

Then clever people after that, no serious criminals, no fat people(less fuel required).
Margaret Thatcher
The world governments found this out in advance, so were able to create advanced spaceships that can hold 1 million people. Therefore, 1 million people from the planet can be saved, and the rest will perish. These new spaceships can house life for centuries, but it is likely the inhabitants will search for a planet or moon to colonise.

Hypothetically, you have to decide the requirements for choosing the 1 million people. How would you decide?

Completely random? Like a lottery, so there's no discrimination?

Or, would you specify requirements, such as:

- IQ?
- Academic qualifications?
- Area of expertise? So there's a sufficient number of doctors, engineers, scientists, and so on.
- Atheism? So the new human civilisation avoids conflicts caused by religion.
- Looks? So the 1 million isn't just full of average/ugly people.
- Criminal background?

IQ 110+
2.1 Degree and above for areas of expertise, everything from doctors to theologicians.
Atheists, Buddhists and Christian - Muslims not allowed
With regards to looks, only the women need to be good looking.
Only care about "violent/distasteful crimes", rapists, murders and arsonists are out. white collar crimes are ok, they show inititative.

Also, no FAT people allowed.

So now we have a pool of what, a billion people? Then draw the lottery.
Margaret Thatcher
So, you would have the world's leading geniuses left behind, in the name of fairness? Life isn't fair, that's why the world is being destroyed and billions of people will die.

One of the stratas would be intelligence, but I certainly wouldn't leave all of the less intellectual people behind. I would consider it more important to save society rather than create a better own, because nobody has the right to dictate who deserves to live in a society.
There's well over a million scientists in the world, so I'm spoilt for choice really :awesome:

Anyway, I'd probably allocate
- 150,000 for scientists and engineers
- 150,000 for skilled labourers
- 200,000 for basic manual labourers
- 75,000 for artists, musicians, sculptors, photographers, etc.
- 1,000 for the leaders and their administration
- 24,000 managers and logistical personnel
- 50,000 elite military personnel (doubling up as security)
- 25,000 crew for the ships (assuming lots of automation, here)
- 25,000 dedicated hydroponics engineers and geneticists to attend to food production
- 200,000 as limited space for one family member per person, assigned through lottery amongst all other sections of the population
- 100,000 as lottery spaces

Criteria for the 700,000 non-lottery skilled spaces:
- Pass a comprehensive psychological evaluation
- Suitably qualified in relevant field, e.g. PhD for scientists, certain level of experience and training for military
- No violent criminal history
- Speaks at least one major world language (Esperanto courses would be mandatory to facilitate communication)
TheRealDarthVader

LMAO:rofl:
Reply 35
i'd just chuck in all the fundamentalist muslims and christians and see what happens. good entertainment i think
Aphotic Cosmos
There's well over a million scientists in the world, so I'm spoilt for choice really :awesome:

Anyway, I'd probably allocate
- 150,000 for scientists and engineers
- 150,000 for skilled labourers
- 200,000 for basic manual labourers
- 75,000 for artists
- 1,000 for the leaders and administration
- 49,000 managers and logistical personnel
- 50,000 elite military personnel (doubling up as security)
- 25,000 crew for the ships (assuming lots of automation, here)
- 200,000 as limited space for one family member per person, assigned through lottery amongst all other sections of the population
- 100,000 as lottery spaces

You gave this a lot of thought?
But if there is only one ship, as the OP implies, what if the leader of the USA wants more people from the USA to get on the ship than people from the UK?
Looks like you'd need to subdivide each category by country... darn it.
Reply 37
Another thing to consider; would you save any animals?
Margaret Thatcher
The world governments found this out in advance, so were able to create advanced spaceships that can hold 1 million people. Therefore, 1 million people from the planet can be saved, and the rest will perish. These new spaceships can house life for centuries, but it is likely the inhabitants will search for a planet or moon to colonise.

Hypothetically, you have to decide the requirements for choosing the 1 million people. How would you decide?

Completely random? Like a lottery, so there's no discrimination?

Or, would you specify requirements, such as:

- IQ?
- Academic qualifications?
- Area of expertise? So there's a sufficient number of doctors, engineers, scientists, and so on.
- Atheism? So the new human civilisation avoids conflicts caused by religion.
- Looks? So the 1 million isn't just full of average/ugly people.
- Criminal background?

important scientists (to keep science alive), historians (to keep records of human's past) and atheists, humanity will thrive better without religion
SatanIsAwesome
You gave this a lot of thought?
But if there is only one ship, as the OP implies, what if the leader of the USA wants more people from the USA to get on the ship than people from the UK?
Looks like you'd need to subdivide each category by country... darn it.

Ideally the selection for boarding of the ship would be a UN operation.

Although perhaps there could be an national allocation of of the 100,000 lottery seats to ensure that at least somebody from most non-*******-tiny countries gets on the ship, and so that the ethnic diversity of the planet is preserved.

Latest

Trending

Trending