The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

mrbelding
My apologies, I assumed that by mentioning a VPN it would imply that I meant over SSL. The attacks you mention are not attacks on SSL/VPN but at exploiting the use of them, most people on a simple VPN are not going to be in a serious enough situation to have people trying man in the middle attacks on their network and if someone is in a situation to be paranoid about this they are bound to be far more cautious in the first place.

We could debate network security but this isn't exactly the topic at hand. My point is that I don't agree with the FUD that watching a couple of TV episodes online is going to get you locked up and I frankly dislike people preaching it. One example is TV shows that air in the US which we have no means of watching. If I could watch ad supported live Dexter for example I would, but if I have to torrent it just to be able to watch it, I will. When torrent sites/sites that stream such material get shut down they don't go after the users, they go after the people running it, going after the average users is simply not profitable.

Digital Economy Bill is indeed scary, but only scary if you're one of the people getting caught file sharing in the first place (which is a small percentile of total users I'd guesstimate). Hopefully the bill will be overturned as it is a massive assault on your and my own liberties.

Are you trying to be condescending for any particular reason or just the hell of it? It's quite tiresome really. There is far more hostility here than there needs to be.

You'd be very surprised though. Local councils have been known to abuse RIPA powers for looking over people suspected of littering, and moving house to get their kids into a better school. Attacks on the use and implementation of SSL exist, and of course x-headers and addresses are unavoidable by-products of proxy usage. Most people watching TV online are unlikely to be accessing sites through an SSL-encrypted VPN overseas connection.

It's fine that you don't like it being "preached", but at the end of the day, it has happened and it will undoubtedly happen again (referring to going after the users, as well as the hosts and contributers). To assertively say that it won't happen shows naivity, as it';s's happened in the past, and a major bet, given current capability.

I do hope the DEB gets overturned, primarily because it wasn't even debated properly in Commons before being pushed through by a bunch of clueless MPs running in for voting (my local MP being one of these such people - he didn't have a clue what it was about when I asked him).

All I'm saying is that what you're denying will happen has happened in the past, and can't be ruled out from happening again. Probability and chances are another matter, because sure, it's unlikely, but it's not a definite safety.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
While this thread is very interesting in a technical aspect, TV Licensing authority aren't actually allowed on campus.
Reply 22
cunningstunt87
There's no hostility fella, and if you didn't come across as smug I wouldn't come across as condescending.

I could well have been, festival flu seems to be influencing my writing style. Mrh.

DarkWhite
I do hope the DEB gets overturned, primarily because it wasn't even debated properly in Commons before being pushed through by a bunch of clueless MPs running in for voting (my local MP being one of these such people - he didn't have a clue what it was about when I asked him).

All I'm saying is that what you're denying will happen has happened in the past, and can't be ruled out from happening again. Probability and chances are another matter, because sure, it's unlikely, but it's not a definite safety.

Agreed about the rushed bill, it was very disgraceful. And yes to be fair I understand that it does and will happen, but I still believe it's a risk worth taking for most (and most will!).

Ah well, sorry if I came across offensive and/or smug.
mrbelding
I could well have been, festival flu seems to be influencing my writing style. Mrh.

Agreed about the rushed bill, it was very disgraceful. And yes to be fair I understand that it does and will happen, but I still believe it's a risk worth taking for most (and most will!).

Likewise, it was just that one assertive comment. Yeah, I watch shows on such sites all the time :smile:
mrbelding

And please accept my apologies for my condescending remarks.
Reply 25
DarkWhite
Likewise, it was just that one assertive comment. Yeah, I watch shows on such sites all the time :smile:

I have heard rumors of lots of tasty cake on campus, can you confirm? Might have to bring along an extra spoon :smile:
May I just ask (sincde there seem to be lots of contradicting comments on this thread and technical doo dahs that i don't understand) do i need a TV license if all I plan on watching is iplayer, itvplayer, youtube tv shows and 4od? All are just playback things on the internet, would be watching through my laptop... not planning on watching any live tv or stuff like that.
edithwashere
May I just ask (sincde there seem to be lots of contradicting comments on this thread and technical doo dahs that i don't understand) do i need a TV license if all I plan on watching is iplayer, itvplayer, youtube tv shows and 4od? All are just playback things on the internet, would be watching through my laptop... not planning on watching any live tv or stuff like that.

No - TV License only applies to live broadcasts (AFAIK)
Reply 28
edithwashere

You only need a TV licence if you plan to watch any live transmissions, be it by aerial, sky, virgin media cable, or live broadcast streams, eg the live channel feeds on iPlayer or services such as TV Catchup.

You don't need a licence for watching catchup services, such as iPlayer, ITVPlayer, 4od etc, as these are not counted as live broadcasts.

There is an exception to this though: you can watch live broadcast streams on a battery powered device (eg your laptop without the charger plugged in) as long as your parents have a licence.
alex-hs
You only need a TV licence if you plan to watch any live transmissions, be it by aerial, sky, virgin media cable, or live broadcast streams, eg the live channel feeds on iPlayer or services such as TV Catchup.

You don't need a licence for watching catchup services, such as iPlayer, ITVPlayer, 4od etc, as these are not counted as live broadcasts.

There is an exception to this though: you can watch live broadcast streams on a battery powered device (eg your laptop without the charger plugged in) as long as your parents have a licence.

In that case, can I watch freewire on my battery laptop when my parennts (living down in london nowhere near notts) have a tv license?
edithwashere
In that case, can I watch freewire on my battery laptop when my parennts (living down in london nowhere near notts) have a tv license?

Yes providing your laptop is unplugged from the mains (not that they can tell)
Reply 31
^^^

which is exactly why you can watch live tv on your laptop...assuming we all have parents with a license.
OrangeStu
Yes providing your laptop is unplugged from the mains (not that they can tell)

:confused: If they can't tell, then can't they just say I'm watching it when its plugged in and so can hold it against me?
Reply 33
Innocent until proven guilty is one of the many wonderful features of our system of law
5Stories
Innocent until proven guilty is one of the many wonderful features of our system of law

It's also one of the biggest flaws.
Reply 35
Considerably better than the alternative.
5Stories
Considerably better than the alternative.

Wanna ask a rape victim whose attacker walked free due to a lack of evidence, her word against his?

No? Thought not.
Reply 37
You can't set the precedent that you can lock someone up without evidence. I don't think you'd like that very much either. No system is perfect but what you are suggesting is barbaric and dangerous to every innocent person's liberty. We don't live in a fascist state, thank god.
5Stories
You can't set the precedent that you can lock someone up without evidence. I don't think you'd like that very much either. No system is perfect but what you are suggesting is barbaric and dangerous to every innocent person's liberty. We don't live in a fascist state, thank god.

So, supposing for a second, that someone you cared about was raped, and they knew the person and could identify the person that did it. But, in court, they could prove that intercourse had taken place but couldn't prove whether there was consent. As a result, the victim had to watch as her attacker walked free from court. That's acceptable?

The system you're championing is also barbaric and dangerous to every innocent person's liberty.
cunningstunt87
Well done! Have a cookie.

you got done son

Latest

Trending

Trending