The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 1
You can live quiet cleverly on £50 a week: £15-£20 for food, £30-£35 for all other non-necessities.

Having been at uni before, I'd say around 60% of freshers didn't follow this but the latter parts of every term have this poverty feel to them so not spending much/budgeting hardcore (12p noodles FTW) becomes the norm.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Well see how much cash you have left over after paying for halls and whatnot, then divide it by however many weeks you're there for.
£20 a week for food? What do you live off, Cornflakes?
Owh, this thread was already made but apparently failed!

Well how much do you have at your disposal to make a weekly budget with? I'm in catered accommodation and I will be sent £95 a week, which I really don't think I'll spend all of haha.
Reply 5
Last year I was in self -catered halls, and lived quite easily off £50-60 a week. Planning your meals/sharing cooking with others is the key to keeping your food costs low. Plus the odd trip to Home bargains to stock up! I rarely spent more than £20 a week on food.
ill have about £60 a week i think, but ill see how it goes if i need more ill just spend more of my wages ha! :biggrin:
Alexandra1234567
Owh, this thread was already made but apparently failed!

Well how much do you have at your disposal to make a weekly budget with? I'm in catered accommodation and I will be sent £95 a week, which I really don't think I'll spend all of haha.

Thats unreal. I got less than that in self-catered.
residentmaths101
Thats unreal. I got less than that in self-catered.

That doesn't surprise me! But, like I said, I won't be spending all of that. The plan is to save as much as possible so that I can cover myself for when I'm not at uni, and for any unexpected costs that might crop up.
Alexandra1234567

i will have over £100 per week, yet somehow im still scared it wont be enough!!
Im in self - catered though and receiving no help from parents!
AnetaLovesYou
i will have over £100 per week, yet somehow im still scared it wont be enough!!
Im in self - catered though and receiving no help from parents!

That'll be plenty. I reckon I'd be getting ~£120 if I was self catered, and I wouldn't have worried at all :smile:

Just don't take the first week as a benchmark :wink:
Reply 11
So from the comments I will try and budget for about 60-70 a week and see how that goes...although I am guessing freshers week will be a little more :smile:
Reply 12
£20 max. Unless you spend all your money on alcohol and smoking. Buy a bus card in advance if you live far away.
Woah, some people must be rich if they can afford £100 a week! All your maintenance loan goes on accommodation and it doesnt even cover accommodation costs!
Reply 13
angielska
£20 max. Unless you spend all your money on alcohol and smoking. Buy a bus card in advance if you live far away.
Woah, some people must be rich if they can afford £100 a week! All your maintenance loan goes on accommodation and it doesnt even cover accommodation costs!

What 20 for food and everything in one week?? Admittedly I do smoke so that won't help, but still.
Hundred quid a week i have, catered hall. What i dont spend i get to spend on holiday over christmas.. hostelling in south east asia :smile:

******* mega :biggrin:

If i count my maintenance loan, that makes about 150 p/w. Im plannin on saving about 75-100 of that pw.. wanna go travellin with about 1k.
Reply 15
ajeffreys
What 20 for food and everything in one week?? Admittedly I do smoke so that won't help, but still.

Yea. I spent £10 a week (unless I was doing something special/ had to buy textbooks etc). I thought that was plenty enough :p:
I guess I'm just frugal. I even tried paying off part of my loan straight away with money I'd saved :smile:
Reply 16
angielska
Yea. I spent £10 a week (unless I was doing something special/ had to buy textbooks etc). I thought that was plenty enough :p:
I guess I'm just frugal. I even tried paying off part of my loan straight away with money I'd saved :smile:

Maybe it will be much cheaper then I thought then :smile: Although not quite sure if I can be quite that frugal :biggrin:

Latest