The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

W.H.T
Yeah as though other politicians don't do the same as soon as they are away from the cameras :rolleyes:

I am quite sure that they do. As i said B&B destroyed my faith in the political process, but the expenses scandal turned me into a political ,cynic-although we must give full credit to the forty odd MP's who weren't being economical with the truth. How can 'call me dave' talk about dole fraudsters when despite his millions,he had is hand in the back of the till.
Reply 41
He (Blair) is on right now... On BBC 2 with some bloke whose name I forget... as he continues to speak, I like him less and less... he is totally consumed and deluded by his own celebrity (IMHO)... SMH

I am a little saddened by this if I am honest...
Blair on top of Brown?

Dear god the image!
Reply 43
vnupe
According to the Guardian article, Blair stated he knew Brown would be a disaster...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/aug/31/tony-blair-gordon-brown-disaster

Blair ego/meglomaniac of the highest order or truth-teller? Or just bookseller provocateur?

Discuss...

People wouldn't buy it in a few years, they will have forgotten about Brown, or at least not so bothered about the gossip. Mandelson and Campbell did the same. Brown should do the same just to get his own back.
Reply 44
Typical Tory :rolleyes:
I am not surprised. Typical Blair - the supreme master of fiendish BS and media spin. He needs something to sell those copies.

Blair was the disaster, the dog that pissed on the carpet. Brown was the dog caught licking it up.
Reply 46
I support Labour, but apart from the whole "Pakistan oops" incident, I think DC is an alright guy, certainly not the toff he's portrayed as.

And, he has a hot wife. :sexface:
Reply 47
Altruistic1
Only ignorant people would think Brown did a poor job - he was the longest serving chancellor in over a hundred years, economists around the world supported him and even Tony Blair admits he was the 'best chancellor for the country'. The USA and other countries followed his lead.

Blair stimulated the 'boom' by borrowing, Brown was left to deal with a naturally-occuring financial disaster which was always going to hit us hard and the consquences of the deficit. Blair and Brown probably made the best choices, despite where we're at right now. Blair has, however, let Brown take the fall which is pretty sad, but quite expected of a such a politician. Brown has of course made mistakes too, although people tend to notice the bad and ignore the good.
'Anyone who disagrees with me is a retard'.
This tends to get you ignored.
Teveth
Labour would have lost that election no matter who was our leader.

This is very much political speculation. If you study the history of British government's, some successfully managed to pull themselves up, and back into government, even despite some very controversial issues. You can not say that this was an election for Labour to loose, there is no substance supporting this speculation. That is obviously rejected by the fact that Labour lost because the PEOPLE lost confidence in its style of leadership.

Teveth
Brown actually did very well to stop the Conservatives running away with it.

Yes, and he sabotaged his opportunity to create a coalition deal with the Liberal Democrats. He made his bed, and now he is lying in it.

Teveth
Cameron FAILED to win the election and as a result the Tories have a watered down government with the Lib Dems.

:lol: do you seriously think that we have a watered-down Conservative administration? where have you been since the general election?

The Liberal Democrats have abandoned party principle in favour of influence from Cameron. Steep spending cuts, a down-sizing British government, restrictions on immigration, and so fourth are all traditional CONSERVATIVE principles and values. This partnership is very much the "next best thing" to an all out Conservative victory. Gordan Brown failed to prevent this. He should be called out for that.

Teveth
Brown was very popular in many areas, eg Scotland, Wales and parts of Northern England.

:rolleyes:

Labour always performs in these regions, you should see the figures on welfare for these regions. Naturally, they will be harcore Labour regions for many years - regardless of the Labour party leader.
Teveth
Labour did not leave us with a ridiculous amount of debt, the global financial crisis did. It hit us out of the blue and nobody was able to stop it.

Perhaps, but some government's were able to secure themselves from the full-on impact of this crisis. Countries like Australia and Germany, who favoured spending cuts alongside bail-out options. Labour seldom cut spending in its last 13 years of government, despite fore-seeing the recession back in 2000.
At this point the Australian and German economies are experiencing growth and stability, America and Britain are experiencing something more "mysterious".

Teveth
You should be grateful to Brown for handling the crisis so well. His decisions kept us from falling into a near-depression.

This is political-bias at its worse. He could have gone much further to secure the British economy, and did not.

Teveth
Had the Tories been in power, they self-admittedly would have refused the bailout of the financial system. Which almost certainly would have caused the country to fall into a depression.

There were other options. Spending-cuts and further investment in volatile sectors of the economy would have sufficed in my opinion. One size does not fit all.

Latest

Trending

Trending