Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Blair on Brown... Why?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kinky title caught my attention.

That is all.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nowrin)
    OR because they left us with a ridiculous amount of debt.
    Another victim of Tory-media propaganda, I see.

Labour did not leave us with a ridiculous amount of debt, the global financial crisis did. It hit us out of the blue and nobody was able to stop it, and as a result the government were forced to borrow vast amounts of money in order to keep the public sector functioning and to keep the country from falling into a deeper recession. The only criticism I accept as fair is that the gov' could have stashed reserves away for a rainy day, but if you have a look at other governments around the world, very few were doing that.

You should be grateful to Brown for handling the crisis so well. His decisions kept us from falling into a near-depression. Had the Tories been in power, they self-admittedly would have refused the bailout of the financial system., which almost certainly would have caused the country to fall into a depression. Brown won statesman of the year for 2009 for his handling and leadership of the crisis, but of course the Tory media refused to report that.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    Blair is one of the few politicians I respect. Everyone knew Brown would be a failure...
    Can i ask why you respect him? He's one of the politicians that make me sick. Career politician springs to mind, looks at his wealth now for example and his numerous houses he holds. Also he took us into Iraq. This is another obvious popularity stunt, he craves popularity and media attention.

(Original post by Teveth)

Labour did not leave us with a ridiculous amount of debt, the global financial crisis did. It hit us out of the blue and nobody was able to stop it, and as a result the government were forced to borrow vast amounts of money in order to keep the public sector functioning and to keep the country from falling into a deeper recession. The only criticism I accept as fair is that the gov' could have stashed reserves away for a rainy day, but if you have a look at other governments around the world, very few were doing that.

You should be grateful to Brown for handling the crisis so well. His decisions kept us from falling into a near-depression. Had the Tories been in power, they self-admittedly would have refused the bailout of the financial system., which almost certainly would have caused the country to fall into a depression. Brown won statesman of the year for 2009 for his handling and leadership of the crisis, but of course the Tory media refused to report that.
    Get your facts right, obvious labour fan boy.

Sure anyone who says it was all Labour's fault is stupid. But Labour messed a lot of things up by making a ridiculous amount of spending which is impossible to maintain in our economy. Plus before leaving power they made a ridiculous amount of financial pledges which was impossible to maintain, but i guess as they knew they were going out of power they tried to make it as hard for the tories as possible. I simply cannot see how anyone can defend Labour fully for their last term in office. Sure they did some good things, i believe the minimum wage was one good thing but the system they maintained was impossible to maintain over time. They planned short term for a big boom then a big bust.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

1. Lol.
    2. We were getting into debt whilst in boom times; the amount of spending is completely and totally unrealistic. This year we are in some £160 billion in debt... just this year. And we're somewhat growing this year. The idea that we can sustain this amount of spending on an annual basis is absurd.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Only ignorant people would think Brown did a poor job - he was the longest serving chancellor in over a hundred years, economists around the world supported him and even Tony Blair admits he was the 'best chancellor for the country'. The USA and other countries followed his lead.

Blair stimulated the 'boom' by borrowing, Brown was left to deal with a naturally-occuring financial disaster which was always going to hit us hard and the consquences of the deficit. Blair and Brown probably made the best choices, despite where we're at right now. Blair has, however, let Brown take the fall which is pretty sad, but quite expected of a such a politician. Brown has of course made mistakes too, although people tend to notice the bad and ignore the good.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Labour would have lost that election no matter who was our leader. Brown actually did very well to stop the Conservatives running away with it, because let's face it, it should have been a Tory landslide given the public feeling towards Labour fuelled by Tory media bias. Cameron FAILED to win the election and as a result the Tories have a watered down government with the Lib Dems. Brown can take some credit for that.

Despite what the media would have us believe, Brown was very popular in many areas, eg Scotland, Wales and parts of Northern England.
    I agree with this.
    Brown's biggest mistake was trying to follow what Blair started, in my opinion. Otherwise, I certainly don't think he was a bad Prime Minister, and definately not compared with who we have now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    Am I the only one who got a disgusting image in their head upon reading 'Blair on Brown'?
    Was waiting for someone to say this XD
    agree.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    Yeah as though other politicians don't do the same as soon as they are away from the cameras :rolleyes:
    I am quite sure that they do. As i said B&B destroyed my faith in the political process, but the expenses scandal turned me into a political ,cynic-although we must give full credit to the forty odd MP's who weren't being economical with the truth. How can 'call me dave' talk about dole fraudsters when despite his millions,he had is hand in the back of the till.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    He (Blair) is on right now... On BBC 2 with some bloke whose name I forget... as he continues to speak, I like him less and less... he is totally consumed and deluded by his own celebrity (IMHO)... SMH

I am a little saddened by this if I am honest...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Blair on top of Brown?

Dear god the image!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vnupe)
    According to the Guardian article, Blair stated he knew Brown would be a disaster...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...brown-disaster

Blair ego/meglomaniac of the highest order or truth-teller? Or just bookseller provocateur?

Discuss...
    People wouldn't buy it in a few years, they will have forgotten about Brown, or at least not so bothered about the gossip. Mandelson and Campbell did the same. Brown should do the same just to get his own back.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Both were awful, in my opinion. We saw the lies, deceit and mollycoddling with Blair, and we saw the flat out disaster through transparent screens with Brown.

It boils down to whether you want to be told everything is going great whilst heading into a ditch, or whether you want to see it for yourself.
    Typical Tory :rolleyes:
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am not surprised. Typical Blair - the supreme master of fiendish BS and media spin. He needs something to sell those copies.

Blair was the disaster, the dog that pissed on the carpet. Brown was the dog caught licking it up.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think I know what I'm talking about because I've done GCSE Economics. Also, I'm so blinded by my Toryism, I can't see past the policies to the people themselves.
    I support Labour, but apart from the whole "Pakistan oops" incident, I think DC is an alright guy, certainly not the toff he's portrayed as.

And, he has a hot wife. :sexface:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Altruistic1)
    Only ignorant people would think Brown did a poor job - he was the longest serving chancellor in over a hundred years, economists around the world supported him and even Tony Blair admits he was the 'best chancellor for the country'. The USA and other countries followed his lead.

Blair stimulated the 'boom' by borrowing, Brown was left to deal with a naturally-occuring financial disaster which was always going to hit us hard and the consquences of the deficit. Blair and Brown probably made the best choices, despite where we're at right now. Blair has, however, let Brown take the fall which is pretty sad, but quite expected of a such a politician. Brown has of course made mistakes too, although people tend to notice the bad and ignore the good.
    'Anyone who disagrees with me is a retard'.
    This tends to get you ignored.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Labour would have lost that election no matter who was our leader.
    This is very much political speculation. If you study the history of British government's, some successfully managed to pull themselves up, and back into government, even despite some very controversial issues. You can not say that this was an election for Labour to loose, there is no substance supporting this speculation. That is obviously rejected by the fact that Labour lost because the PEOPLE lost confidence in its style of leadership.

Brown actually did very well to stop the Conservatives running away with it.
    Yes, and he sabotaged his opportunity to create a coalition deal with the Liberal Democrats. He made his bed, and now he is lying in it.

Cameron FAILED to win the election and as a result the Tories have a watered down government with the Lib Dems.
    :lol: do you seriously think that we have a watered-down Conservative administration? where have you been since the general election?

The Liberal Democrats have abandoned party principle in favour of influence from Cameron. Steep spending cuts, a down-sizing British government, restrictions on immigration, and so fourth are all traditional CONSERVATIVE principles and values. This partnership is very much the "next best thing" to an all out Conservative victory. Gordan Brown failed to prevent this. He should be called out for that.

Brown was very popular in many areas, eg Scotland, Wales and parts of Northern England.
    :rolleyes:

Labour always performs in these regions, you should see the figures on welfare for these regions. Naturally, they will be harcore Labour regions for many years - regardless of the Labour party leader.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Labour did not leave us with a ridiculous amount of debt, the global financial crisis did. It hit us out of the blue and nobody was able to stop it.
    Perhaps, but some government's were able to secure themselves from the full-on impact of this crisis. Countries like Australia and Germany, who favoured spending cuts alongside bail-out options. Labour seldom cut spending in its last 13 years of government, despite fore-seeing the recession back in 2000.
    At this point the Australian and German economies are experiencing growth and stability, America and Britain are experiencing something more "mysterious".

You should be grateful to Brown for handling the crisis so well. His decisions kept us from falling into a near-depression.
    This is political-bias at its worse. He could have gone much further to secure the British economy, and did not.

Had the Tories been in power, they self-admittedly would have refused the bailout of the financial system. Which almost certainly would have caused the country to fall into a depression.
    There were other options. Spending-cuts and further investment in volatile sectors of the economy would have sufficed in my opinion. One size does not fit all.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 1, 2010
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.