The Student Room Group

For A Level: History/Geography?

Hey, I've hit a bit of a dilemma with two subjects I'd consider doing for A-level.

HISTORY OR GEOGRAPHY??

One, (History), got an A in GCSE;I've done a unit of the AS a year early, which was Britain during the 1960s social revolution. This is an interesting course if you're wishing to study politics and current affairs, but to me and a few of my other friends, it doesn't feel like history... :hmmmm:
I got an E in my recent History Unit, but surely if I re-take it next year I have a head-start?

Two, (Geography), got an A* in my GCSE, but only found geography interesting when I was revising it! But the teacher is/was brill, and I feel like geography is fresh and interesting, and wish to learn a bit more...

I plan to go into Theology at Uni, and for this History might be better than Geography.

Any advice would be helpful, anyone who has taken geography for example - what's the AQA course like?
For now, it looks like I'll be doing History but I could always change my mind...

Thanks for reading, Jen.
If History is better for your course at uni, then shouldn't you take History?
Also can you not take both?
Reply 2
The.Night.Watch.Woman
Hey, I've hit a bit of a dilemma with two subjects I'd consider doing for A-level.

HISTORY OR GEOGRAPHY??

One, (History), got an A in GCSE;I've done a unit of the AS a year early, which was Britain during the 1960s social revolution. This is an interesting course if you're wishing to study politics and current affairs, but to me and a few of my other friends, it doesn't feel like history... :hmmmm:
I got an E in my recent History Unit, but surely if I re-take it next year I have a head-start?

Two, (Geography), got an A* in my GCSE, but only found geography interesting when I was revising it! But the teacher is/was brill, and I feel like geography is fresh and interesting, and wish to learn a bit more...

I plan to go into Theology at Uni, and for this History might be better than Geography.

Any advice would be helpful, anyone who has taken geography for example - what's the AQA course like?
For now, it looks like I'll be doing History but I could always change my mind...

Thanks for reading, Jen.

i did AS geog this year and absolutely loved it :p:
if you concentrate in class and have a decent essay-writing ability its also quite easy to do well in the exams with little revision.

what are your other AS subjects? hist must be more relevant for theology but geog isn't irrelevant either... is there a subject you could drop and do both of these?

i can't stress how much more fun geog was than any of my other courses (one word- trips!) but history's an extremely highly regarded subject as well.
Reply 3
Whichever one you find more interesting, go for it.
Kobie
what are your other AS subjects? hist must be more relevant for theology but geog isn't irrelevant either... is there a subject you could drop and do both of these?.

Hey Kobie, my other AS subjects are French, Religious Studies and English Lit, and then (because of sixth form option blocks) I'd do either History/Geography. :yep:
Reply 5
I'd pick which ever one you enjoy the most, which for you seems to be Geography. I took it last year and loved it (partly because we went on a school trip, my first in years!!). Can't wait to start the A2 next week :smile:
Reply 6
How are you even getting a choice in this? Surely you should have enrolled by now. Unless I'm missing something...
The Mole
How are you even getting a choice in this? Surely you should have enrolled by now. Unless I'm missing something...

Hey Mole, well we have an enrollment day on Friday of this week, where we can confirm any last minute decisions, so it will be possible (if i want to) to change the subjects I've already said I'd do.

Well thanks guys, it's been a great help! It's put my mind at rest anyway; I'm most likely sticking with history as it fits and appears more relevant to what I want to do :smile:
Reply 8
I did both history and geography at GCSE and A Level. I really really enjoyed them at GCSE but found once I got to A Level, geography got much harder and I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as I did. I did the AQAa board and whilst I did find it interesting (although I didn't really enjoy the human aspects of it too much) I did enjoy it far less than history which I really did love.

For studying theology at uni, I'd definetly recommend history over geography but
Reply 9
The.Night.Watch.Woman
Hey Kobie, my other AS subjects are French, Religious Studies and English Lit, and then (because of sixth form option blocks) I'd do either History/Geography. :yep:

oh english lit covers much the same skill base as hist., if you want variety take geog for sure. it'll keep your options more open in the long term, especially alongside RS and french!
Reply 10
After doing History and Geography for GCSE, I also had the option to pick either geography or history but I always knew I wanted to continue history over geography since... start of year 11.

I think for me personally, the two differences with the subjects was I found Geography more forced learning. With AQA Geo at GCSE, we just sat in class, copied, memorised and learned case studies. There wasn't much interaction in the subject. The exam/exam papers weren't hard provided you memorised all the facts.

I found History much more enjoyable, learning about the past and I found certain areas fascinating. There were different methods of learning including made up acronyms. The exam paper was also quite interesting, you didn't need to learn a whole stream of information, you just needed basic information and in the exam as long as you justified your opinions and reasons you would get the mark, it made the exam much more enjoyable :P

Pick the one you enjoy more :smile:

Latest