The Student Room Group
what was his study about again?

wasn't it something to do with the size of some lines?
saiyamana
what was his study about again?

wasn't it something to do with the size of some lines?

Oui, c'etait
Reply 3
There's loads of studies where participants were deceived to a greater extent than in this one, and about much more serious things. Milgram's study of obedience, for example. But I suppose the principle is the same. I've never thought that deception of participants was really bad though, most studies wouldn't get reliable results if they didn't lie to their subjects a bit. This experiment also gave a big insight into conformity, which is really relevant to jury decision making. I think it was majority influence in this case?
Reply 4
we talked about this last year. As Rose64 said, there have been planty of studies which have used deception on a much larger scale like Milgrams study, and Zimbardos study pretty much threw ethics out of the window but all 3 were studies wchih played a large role in understanding majority influence and obedience.

We had to do an essay on this last year, i found it really interesting but IMO i think they were justified because of the results and findings they lead us to. :smile:
Reply 5
I definately think it was justified, I meana s previous posters have said there are so many other studies such as Milgram and Zimbardo whos deception was much mworse on social scales, But they all recieved results that can be seen to far exceed the deception used. In the case of ethics, Its mainly down to wether the sacrifice of something of deception to the participants is outweighed by the social benefits in the case. In this circumstance it was :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending