The Student Room Group

Not sure what subject to drop at A2

My As results were this

A - history and general studies
B - maths
C -Chemistry and biology
D - politics

I want to do forensic sciences at Uni but i'm not sure which one to drop. I'm definitely dropping politics but want to drop one other. I'm either going to drop Chemistry or history. Although i am better at history, i prefer chemistry. Overall if i dropped chemistry, i think i could get AAB in Maths History and Biology, whereas if i dropped History i think i could get ABB in maths chemistry and biology.
Which would look better for forensic sciences? and how important is Chemistry?
jhines
My As results were this

A - history and general studies
B - maths
C -Chemistry and biology
D - politics

I want to do forensic sciences at Uni but i'm not sure which one to drop. I'm either going to drop Chemistry or history. Although i am better at history, i prefer chemistry. Overall if i dropped chemistry, i think i could get AAB in Maths History and Biology, whereas if i dropped History i think i could get ABB in maths chemistry and biology.
Which would look better for forensic sciences? and how important is Chemistry?

Have a look at uni requirements. I can imagine that forensic science requires Chemistry surely? If not, then it doesn't matter what you drop though it may be better to take Chemistry to show your interest to be honest... Could look strange for someone declaring they're passionate enough for forensic science to want to do a degree in it to drop Chemistry at AS...
Reply 2
are you mad? surely chemistry is more useful for forensic science than history!
Why don't you drop Politics, if you got a D in it? I shouldn't think it's needed for forensic science...
Reply 4
I would have thought that forensic science requires chemistry. However, you've done really well in history so it would be pointless to drop it. I'd say either don't drop anything or drop politics.
Reply 5
Surely you are dropping Politics?
Reply 6
also, it is darn near impossible to do a self-study a-level in chemistry when you've left school, due to the practical components (I looked into this when considering doing a biochemistry/forensic science degree recently) so grab the chance whilst you can!
Reply 7
lattywatty
Have a look at uni requirements. I can imagine that forensic science requires Chemistry surely? If not, then it doesn't matter what you drop though it may be better to take Chemistry to show your interest to be honest... Could look strange for someone declaring they're passionate enough for forensic science to want to do a degree in it to drop Chemistry at AS...

Different Uni's that i've looked at say different things, some ask for chemistry, and some for chemistry or biology. I know what you mean though it would look strange dropping chemistry. It's not that i don't prefer it to history it's just that i am better at history, so was wondering if it's better to have higher grades without chemistry, or slightly lower ones with chemistry
Bella Occhi
Why don't you drop Politics, if you got a D in it? I shouldn't think it's needed for forensic science...

This.
Reply 9
Bella Occhi

Agree. Definitely keep chemistry for its usefulness, and if you want to boost your grades then keep history (which you're good at) and drop politics.
Reply 10
Bella Occhi

I am dropping politics anyway. I only had 1 hour lesson a fortnight in it, as our history teacher thought it would be a good idea to try out politics because of some cross over with history. But i want to drop one other and i'm not sure whether to drop chemistry or history.
Reply 11
drop history it will get you nowhere in life.
jhines
I am dropping politics anyway. I only had 1 hour lesson a fortnight in it, as our history teacher thought it would be a good idea to try out politics because of some cross over with history. But i want to drop one other and i'm not sure whether to drop chemistry or history.

Oh ok. Well I'd definitely recommend dropping History, I shouldn't think you'd get very far applying for forensic science if you haven't taken Chemistry at A2 :yep:

Latest