The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

DimitriK
how is A*A*A low prediciton grades lol. i got 1 A* 6 A's n 4 B's :/

On another thread, you said you'd be predicted AAB. I posted on this thread before you'd mentioned this new prediction. Even so, universities don't seem to be trusting A* predictions yet and the predictions are still in weak subjects. Also, you're only doing 3 A2s. I don't mean to be harsh, but your GCSEs will be considered relatively low too (unless you went to a bad school maybe?). On the other hand, LSE seems to focus a lot on the personal statement, so if you write an amazing one, you might have a chance :smile:

DimitriK
do you know anyone doing the government course who got in with an AAB-AAA?

I'm starting the Politics & Philosophy course at LSE in a few weeks (which is based in the Government department, so has the same admissions tutors) and I got AAAABB at A2, AAAA at AS (with extenuating circumstances) & 8A*s 2As at GCSE. Other people I know on Politics/Government courses at LSE have similar/better grades than me.
DimitriK
ive been told to try for LSE to do the government course but others have said i dont really stand a chance :/. Im kinda confused so are there any LSE students out there that could you help me out? Be brutaly honest, i dont want to get my hopes up :frown:

Politics: A (178/200) 89%

Sociology: A (194/200) 97%

Law: B (156/200) 78%

History: C (139/200) 69.5%, I'm getting this one remarked and hopefully it will get up to a B, im confident the marks wouldn't drop by 19 marks.

im dropping history

look at the enrty requirements.
Do you have what is required?
Are you 1 grade away?
Will you be predicted the entry requirements?
If so, then yes. If no, then no

:smile:
Reply 22
I'm starting the Politics & Philosophy course at LSE in a few weeks (which is based in the Government department, so has the same admissions tutors) and I got AAAABB at A2, AAAA at AS (with extenuating circumstances) & 8A*s 2As at GCSE. Other people I know on Politics/Government courses at LSE have similar/better grades than me.
THATS ****** INSANE!! WELL DONE! :biggrin: wooah well i went to a ****** secondary school lol well im still gonna be predicted atleast AAA and my politics teacher says my personal statement is really good so i might aswell give it ago :smile: but i wont be gettin my hopes up dw. thanks guys :smile:
caroline147

You MUST go for the Philosophy Departmental Parties- amazing, simply amazing fun- the best at the LSE by a mile. There is a Departmental band called The Critique of Pure Rhythm- including 3 elderly professors- that usually plays- check this out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv026bpPFL0
DimitriK
im still gonna be predicted atleast AAA and my politics teacher says my personal statement is really good so i might aswell give it ago :smile: but i wont be gettin my hopes up dw. thanks guys :smile:

As they say, you never know....it helps if you have relevant work experience too?
caroline147

And avoid the Government parties. Utterly crap. 'Refreshments provided' = we went to Tesco at 1am and bought out the Value section.
The Edwinnator
And avoid the Government parties. Utterly crap. 'Refreshments provided' = we went to Tesco at 1am and bought out the Value section.

:sad: I was hoping the LSE parties were a good way to get free food.
1am Tesco trips sound fun, though :woo:

The Edwinnator
You MUST go for the Philosophy Departmental Parties- amazing, simply amazing fun- the best at the LSE by a mile. There is a Departmental band called The Critique of Pure Rhythm- including 3 elderly professors- that usually plays- check this out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv026bpPFL0

Oh, wow, I can't wait now :shock:
caroline147
:sad: I was hoping the LSE parties were a good way to get free food.

What planet are you living on? LSE giving things away for free? Only the first departmental introductory thingy in the afternoon is good for free food. (decent sandwiches, but this was 2 years ago).

caroline147
Oh, wow, I can't wait now :shock:

See you at the first one! Say hello, I'll be a-hanging with the third year philosophy slickers, who will probably also be running the Philosophy Society. I hope you aren't too keen on Continental philosophy, tis a dirty word at the LSE....
The Edwinnator
What planet are you living on? LSE giving things away for free? Only the first departmental introductory thingy in the afternoon is good for free food. (decent sandwiches, but this was 2 years ago).

See you at the first one! Say hello, I'll be a-hanging with the third year philosophy slickers, who will probably also be running the Philosophy Society. I hope you aren't too keen on Continental philosophy, tis a dirty word at the LSE....

Haha, sounds like fun. & the reason why I wanted to get onto the LSE course was my hatred of Continental philosophy, so I should fit in just fine. See you there :p:
Reply 29
The Edwinnator

How dare you call Alex Voorhoeve an elderly? Blasphemy!
RamlakU
How dare you call Alex Voorhoeve an elderly? Blasphemy!

Alex is a not a professor. And he's not attractive either!

(For the common benefit of First Year Students and Applicants, Alex is a somebody at the Department of Philosophy who quite literally fills his lectures...not with students, but with women there solely to perve on him)
Reply 31
The Edwinnator
Alex is a not a professor. And he's not attractive either!

Not as attractive as Mischa, I'll grant you that.
RamlakU
Not as attractive as Mischa, I'll grant you that.

I swear this must be the umpteenth time I've had this bloody conversation!

Who's the female TA that the gaggly firs' years keep trying to match-make with someone else in the department?

Oh, and I'm sure you've heard of the legendary Dr. Erik Curiel...
RamlakU
Nope, but his personal web-page contains multiple copyright infringements!

If I ever meet you in person I have an oh-so fantastic story to propagate....
caroline147
Only ~16% of applicants to LSE Gvt receive offers; your chances (with weak subjects, relatively poor AS grades & presumably a relatively low prediction for A2) aren't great. Then again, it might be worth wasting one UCAS spot on a longshot if you really like LSE. What are your GCSEs like?

Where did you get the 16% stat from?
Reply 35
AfghanistanBananistan

It's 3.7%, actually.
AfghanistanBananistan

Well, the LSE website states that, in 2008, 6.12% of applicants actually got places. They over-offer by 10%, so around 16% of applicants got offers. In 2009, 3.69% of applicants got places, so that would have been ~14% of applicants receiving offers. It probably would've been more accurate to say ~15%.
RamlakU
It's 3.7%, actually.

No, that's the figure for people who actually matriculated, not how many people received offers.
Reply 38
caroline147
No, that's the figure for people who actually matriculated, not how many people received offers.

Where do you have the figure for offers given from?
Reply 39
caroline147

Apparently they give out x2 offers than places, so the applicants:redface:ffer ratio is more like 7%.

In 2009, they halved the intake for Government. In 2008, there were around 25 students (I can't remember the exact figure), in my year it is only 12 or so.

Latest

Trending

Trending