The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Koalas Ate My Toes
That's just a ridiculous thing to say man. :s-smilie:
I'm working class and I've dreamed of going uni for years but promised myself I'd pay my own way to show people who think like you. I've saved for years and have now landed myself an unconditional at a top uni (yeah, funnily enough working class people can be intelligent but self-esteem is what holds people back.) Are you really saying class or money should stop a person doing this and breaking away?

We don't live in the 1970's anymore mate, grow up and have a closer look at the real world around you.
Sorry about the rant but I feel strongly about this

He's on our side lol.
Reply 61
Tefhel
Lol at this thread. You are moaning about snobbery and then doing the exact same thing yourself (except reverse snobbery). You get offended at people stereotyping the working class but think you should be allowed to stereotype middle class people? Hypocrisy much? Maybe if you showed respect to everyone regardless of class then you'd get some back.

Where is the reverse snobbery.
Reply 62
Bonged.
Not me or my friends.

That was a little cheeky, but the self righteousness and smugness gets annoying when the only reason these snobs are wealthy is because of the luck of the draw at birth.

Er.. ok. Will remember to help myself more to get rich. After I've finished my work tomorrow I'll buy a lottery ticket.

I grew up in a working class area, when I finished school I worked in working class jobs ( order picker and builder) I was given lots of negative comments because of my racial background and social class at work.

So I left my job and enrolled on a course for engineering. I got a place in a top uni after achieving good results and now I can look forward to a bright future.

Its not that difficult but it was something I was forced to do. I guess these people need a kick to get them going.
Reply 63
Mr Sparkles
No, because academics aren't working class. They're middle class. Aww bless, you think you're working class :h:

But I live on a council estate. My academic father is from a council estate. So by your, and most of TSR's definition, we are dangerous delinquents.
Bonged.
You define class by amount of money earned. Teachers, nurses, policemen and academics are all obviously more intelligent than you but likely earn less per year than your daddy. Also , by your definition all people who aren't wealthy are delinquents. I can't remember the last time I saw Mr Hardy my philosophy lecturer robbing old grannies drunk on cider.

From what I've read of his posts the other guy is a complete tool, but from your own comments, how are you any different from a snob ? You're insulting people based on their class too.
Mr Sparkles
No, because academics aren't working class. They're middle class. Aww bless, you think you're working class :h:

I think there's some confusion about class.
On one hand you talk about intelligence and on the other you're talking about financial income.

How are you defining 'class'?
Reply 66
Mechokilla
Many do not strive to improve their standard of education even though the UK offers them subsidised education and extensive bursaries and none repayable loans.

Many are extrememly violent.

Many expect the tax payer to foot the bill for their income.

Many expect the tax payer to give them a free home.

Many have babies with no real way to pay for them or to raise them. Once again expecting the tax payer to give them the money.

I grew up in a working class area and they are not innocent just because they were born into a poor household, they should be held completely responsible for their actions.

Completely agree with this. I didn't grow up in a working class area so everytime I say something like that on TSR I get called snobby and stuff, so I'm glad you said it! :yep:
Reply 67
innerhollow
From what I've read of his posts the other guy is a complete tool, but from your own comments, how are you any different from a snob ? You're insulting people based on their class too.

How? Why should people be proud of having rich parents? Its not through their own merit that they are rich, so why look down on others who weren't born to wealthy parents?

It's a similar logic to racism. No one can help who they are born to or where, so why hate. :s-smilie:
Reply 68
Bonged.
Where is the reverse snobbery.

Bonged.
get your dad to get you a place in his law firm.. duhhh.

Bonged.

Not that it matters whatsoever what my parents knew, I'll go on my own merit thanks rather than being a sponging moaner all my life.

Bonged.
Teachers, nurses, policemen and academics are all obviously more intelligent than you but likely earn less per year than your daddy.

Bonged.

We don't have mines to go down anymore. We can no longer toil at your pleasure. Soz bout that.

That's where.

Rich people can't help where they were born any more than you can - so why do you think it is acceptable to hate on them but not the other way around?
Reply 69
.Ali.
Completely agree with this. I didn't grow up in a working class area so everytime I say something like that on TSR I get called snobby and stuff, so I'm glad you said it! :yep:

Don't forget naiive, prejudiced and stupid.
Reply 70
Bonged.
-snip-

You seem to have a huge chip on your shoulder about being working class.
Reply 71
They look bad.
Reply 72
Bonged.
Don't forget naiive, prejudiced and stupid.

I'm none of these though, you don't know me at all so judging me based on a couple of posts is rather uncalled for, darling. And it's naive* :wink:

Tip: Don't call people 'stupid' if you're going to make simple spelling mistakes.
Reply 73
Tefhel
That's where.

Rich people can't help where they were born any more than you can - so why do you think it is acceptable to hate on them but not the other way around?

All of those were directed at that braindead mug.

I don't hate them. It is fact that they are rich because their parents are, not because of their own intelligence or drive or whatever. I don't see why it is reverse snobbery to point this out?
The girl in that video did make sense. The amount of money you make, or your class, does not decide what you are - it's dependent on how you behave. Regardless of their parents, a chav is violent, anti-social and generally tries to provoke people. Working class people may be synonymous with this, but they are not the rule. I know a lot of middle class chavs, who are also educated, and they're just as awful.
Reply 75
Neither your humanity, personality nor intelligence is determined by your class.

Working class families earn less than middle class families. That's the only distinction you can sensibly make.
Reply 76
Sweet_Comrade
So you're bitter about some idiots on an estate mocking you for being middle-class, and you've decided to take it out on those who earn under 20k a year?

What do you do to make their lives better?

Its comments like yours that are fuelling the antagonism between the two classes. And of course not all working class people are innocent little proletarian victims, but you get people like that across all classes. Idiocy isn't a class related.

More like they tried to beat me and my friends up because we didn't subscribe to their image of chav gangster. Little did they know I did martial arts from age six, they soon found out. I fought a whole bunch of them.

I also used to work as an order picker where we had BNP conferences at lunch time and a fun topic was taking the piss out of my ethnic background.

These people are not victims and they are not innocent. They are a nuisance.
Mechokilla
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-10528359

The working class white people are the lwoest achievers in education, even foreign children ahve a better grasp of english than them

I am not resentful to the thugs in my school I quite enjoyed fighting them, I am lucky my dad put me into martial arts from age six. I have had no problems dealing with these people.

The working class people abuse the benefits system. Working class women even have kids to get free homes and money.

We need to do soemthing about these people. Starting with cutting their benefits.

I'm working class, white. The only sports brand I wear are Umbro running shorts, fake gold makes me cringe, I don't talk like I'm a gangster/am black/whatever, I treat people with the respect I expect to be treated back with meaning if you don't treat me with respect (a basic courtesy that all parents should teach their children regardless of social class) I will treat you equally.

By respect I of course mean things like please, thank you and sorry not "I have a knife/gun in my pocket look at me I'm cool".

My household income is low due to both my mum and step dad being physically and mentally unable to work. We don't abuse the benefits system, I went on the housing register before I re-enrolled into a college and I was basically told I wont get a sniff at a council flat unless I was made homeless, in which case I would be thrown into a bedsit for at least a month before they found somewhere for me.
Reply 78
.Ali.
I'm none of these though, you don't know me at all so judging me based on a couple of posts is rather uncalled for, darling. And it's naive* :wink:

Tip: Don't call people 'stupid' if you're going to make simple spelling mistakes.

Typo picking is desperate.

I'm judging you on your tendency to generalise, as evidenced in your posts.
Sweet_Comrade
I think there's some confusion about class.
On one hand you talk about intelligence and on the other you're talking about financial income.

How are you defining 'class'?

I never brought money into it. I define class by your job, as is the usually accepted way outside America.

Bonged.
But I live on a council estate. My academic father is from a council estate. So by your, and most of TSR's definition, we are dangerous delinquents.

Ok, to be fair, living in a council estate is pretty bloody chavvy, so you probably do have a fam of deliquents, you certainly sound like one yourself! harhar

Latest

Trending

Trending