The Student Room Group
Yep they're fine. If you're thinking of business though maybe consider picking that instead of sociology?
Reply 2
I would suggest changing Law for History and English language for Economics. Would be much stronger subjects I think. But depends on you, really.
Reply 3
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
What do you think of these A - level subjects:

Government and Politics
Sociology
English Langauge
Law

Do you think they are suitable for a business and management degree or for a law degree?

Get rid of sociology and Law they arent even considered serious subjects because they are so easy. Furthermore you will get badly behaved people in those classes. And the majority of them are teenaged bengali girls
Reply 4
I heard unis dont like you to have studied law at A-level to do law at uni but i have two friends doing law at uni. One did it at A-level the other didnt but the one who did is finding her course a lot easier than the other.
Sociology is a bit pants in my opinion- friends of mine said it was easy but it looked like an easier version of psychology.
I would suggest adding bussiness and economics instead of sociology and law.
That way you have politics and english siding with the law degree and business and economics on the business side of things but they will work well together.
Good Luck
Sociology and law are considered weak subjects (I think!), so maybe you should consider changing one of them to history.. or economics?
It depends on where you want to go though :smile:
Reply 6
Don't do business! It isn't regarded as a proper subject. I do law but is generally not regarded as a 'real' A level at good uni's, fortunately I have maths, physics and economics to back it up! Most uni's are fine with you doing one subject that isn't 'real'. However English and Politics combined with either Law or Sociology at A2 should be fine!
Reply 7
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
What do you think of these A - level subjects:

Government and Politics
Sociology
English Langauge
Law

Do you think they are suitable for a business and management degree or for a law degree?

From the point of view of law: -

English Literature is better than English language. It is more analytical and, generally speaking, preferred.

One of Sociology and Law is fine although I'd advise you not to take both. If you do take both then consider dropping one and keeping it as your AS-level? Although this will obviously depend on how well you do in the subjects as there's no point dropping Sociology if you get an A and keeping Politics if you get a D :p:

All of your subjects are social sciences with the exception of English Language. This isn't a bad thing in itself although, speaking from the point of view of law, it is nicer to have a slightly more varied set of A-levels. But this isn't to say having mostly social sciences will signficantly disadvantage you.

Which universities are you thinking of applying to? I know it's probably a bit early.

da_comeback
Get rid of sociology and Law they arent even considered serious subjects because they are so easy. Furthermore you will get badly behaved people in those classes. And the majority of them are teenaged bengali girls

:laugh: Bit of an unfair stereotype. Especially not true in areas with few Bengali students.

Oh and law in particular isn't an easy subject. It's not necessary to study law at A-level in order to study it at university and off the top of my head two universities (a college at Cambridge and Manchester) are the only institutions to explicity state law is a less preferred although NOT blacklisted subject.

People successfully apply to top law schools like Durham and UCL with law as one of their three or four A-levels.

MathsGirl
I heard unis dont like you to have studied law at A-level to do law at uni but i have two friends doing law at uni. One did it at A-level the other didnt but the one who did is finding her course a lot easier than the other.

It's more to do with previous study of law not being necessary as law is taught from beginners level. As mentioned only a handful explicity state it is less preferred.

Latest