The Student Room Group

Is English Lang/Lit a good A-level subject?

OK, so I'm going to re-do the year :frown: and have decided to do these subjects

English Lang/Lit
Psychology
Government and politics
Economics

Now Trinity college at Cambridge - http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604 show what's acceptable and what's not on this web page, however I couldn't find English Lang/Lit listed, and it says you need to have at least two subjects from A1 and A2. They've got economics listed so that's OK, but I need to know if English Lang/lit is OK to have the two subjects I need.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anybody???
Reply 2
If you want to study at Cambridge then I'd advise you to take English Literature instead. English Lang & Lit is a bit of a 'niff naff' subject (believe me, I've studied it before). If you're willing to aim for less competitive unis then English Combined is fine. :smile:

You'll love Psychology. :biggrin:
Reply 3
haha, well Cambridge I believe won't even look at me, because I only have 5 A's 5 B's and 1 C for GCSE, so nothing special, and I heard they emphasise on that. I'd love to go to Cambridge though xD

Instead I'm setting my sights on UCL, (yes I know they're about as hard to get into as Cambridge) but I think it's ok as long as I do well in my A-levels, i.e get all A's

The thing is, I was going to do lit, but there were some complications, and it was just more convenient to do the combined subject, and I've already picked the subjects above and am starting next Monday. Are you sure Uni's, esp UCL, don't think of english lang/lit as suitable?
Reply 4
You should still apply to Cambridge if it's your dream.

English Lang/Lit is still reasonably respected, probably the same level as Psychology and Gov & Politics. I referred it as 'niff naff' because that's just my opinion. Generally, it's quite a decent subject. You have a shot at UCL as long as you do well in your ASs and have high predicted grades. Having thought about it a bit more, people on TSR over emphasize the need to have strong A-levels.

I have a friend who studies Computer Science at UCL and he did Business Studies.

What do you want to study at uni?
Reply 5
Well, UCL appear to have a much broader range of acceptable A Levels than Cambridge: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-study/application-and-entry/alevel-qualifications

English Literature is harder, no doubt about it, but I've yet to find a uni that blacklists the combined one. If that's your only option, do it! :biggrin: It's fun!
Entry requirements for English at Cambridge (from 2011 prospectus)

Typical A level offer A*AA
Essential: A level English Literature or English Language and Literature.
Reply 7
I think it should be fine, however, as far as I know, English Lit alone is more respectable. Good luck x
Reply 8
English Lit is apparently better, but you know, I hate Literature because it is ****. So I did Lit/Lang and I'm sure it's fine. (:
Reply 9
It isn't particularly respected from what i've been told; however, this would only be at the top unis. I would think that only Cambridge, Oxford, LSE and Imperial would look down on the combined A level to the point where it might significantly contribute to rejection. UCL seem to not blaclist many subjects but this doesn't mean that you won't be at a disadvantage if you have 3 'softer' subjects when applying next to people with 4 'hard' subjects. Don't be fooled, they may say that they accept a subject but the admissions tutors know which are harder and softer A levels. If you take 3 of the softer A levels then they'll know this and it may make it harder for you to get in. So it would be better if you took english literature on it's own as you already have 2 subjects that aren't as respected as unis would like you to have.
Reply 10
@bruce_t89 I want to study law at UCL or Cambridge, well if either have me I'd jump for joy :smile:

I wouldn't mind studying PPE, or English. However I'd preferably like to study Law.

Haha, I'm sure I'll love psychology, I've studied up on the what the subject covers at A-level and it seems to be quite interesting. :biggrin:
Reply 11
Danz123
@bruce_t89 I want to study law at UCL or Cambridge, well if either have me I'd jump for joy :smile:

I wouldn't mind studying PPE, or English. However I'd preferably like to study Law.

Haha, I'm sure I'll love psychology, I've studied up on the what the subject covers at A-level and it seems to be quite interesting. :biggrin:

Cool, good luck.

Hope you get into one of those unis.:smile:
Reply 12
Oh and there was something else I wanted to ask.

If you were to apply to Oxbridge I heard that applying to either Cambridge or Oxford takes up two spaces on your UCAS form. Also you can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge.... Are these things true?
Reply 13
bruce_t89
Cool, good luck.

Hope you get into one of those unis.:smile:

Thanks man, I'll need all the luck I can get when it comes to top uni's like those.

Nice to see you're studying psychology at Essex Uni, good luck with your studies as well. :smile:
Reply 14
Danz123
Oh and there was something else I wanted to ask.

If you were to apply to Oxbridge I heard that applying to either Cambridge or Oxford takes up two spaces on your UCAS form. Also you can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge.... Are these things true?

Never heard anything about Oxford or Cambridge taking up 2 spaces.

Yep, you can only apply to one of them.
Reply 15
Danz123
Thanks man, I'll need all the luck I can get when it comes to top uni's like those.

Nice to see you're studying psychology at Essex Uni, good luck with your studies as well. :smile:

Nah, you'll have a chance. Just do well in your ASs and get strong predicted grades when you apply to unis.

Thanks.:smile:
Reply 16
bruce_t89
Nah, you'll have a chance. Just do well in your ASs and get strong predicted grades when you apply to unis.

Thanks.:smile:

I'll try, hopefully I'll get the grades I need :smile:

No problem. :p:

I am redoing the year after all, so Cambridge may not accept someone who's taking 3 years to finish A-levels instead of 2. I'm kind of worried about that. Do you know if they do?
Reply 17
Danz123
I'll try, hopefully I'll get the grades I need :smile:

No problem. :p:

I am redoing the year after all, so Cambridge may not accept someone who's taking 3 years to finish A-levels instead of 2. I'm kind of worried about that. Do you know if they do?

Hmm, I don't think they like that. Not too sure. I know they don't accept resits.
Reply 18
bruce_t89
Hmm, I don't think they like that. Not too sure. I know they don't accept resits.

See :frown: I'm probably screwed then and won't get into Cambridge, hopefully I can get into UCL though. Do you know anyone who has retaken the year and got into a respectable uni?
Reply 19
Danz123
See :frown: I'm probably screwed then and won't get into Cambridge, hopefully I can get into UCL though. Do you know anyone who has retaken the year and got into a respectable uni?

I know someone who studies Law at East Anglia (very good uni for the subject). She messed up her ASs, so decided to retake the year with different subjects. She achieved AAB in Sociology, Government & Politics and English Literature.

My friend is about to start his Economics degree at Uni of Kent (one of the best Economics departments) and he retook the AS year with the same subjects.

These examples demonstrate that you can still get into some excellent unis.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest