The Student Room Group

Help on what to continue with in 2nd year please?

Hi, I would like a bit of help regarding what to carry on with this year.

I had a chat with the careers advisor today and she said that to do Economics at Oxford or Cambridge it would to be beneficial to take further maths/ double maths rather than plain old single award maths.

At AS level I took Economics, Maths, Biology and Physics. I had AABB respectively but Biology was brought down to a B due to my awful practical.

To be honest I'm not sure if I've got my heart set on Oxbridge and would be more than happy to go to another good Uni such as Bath or Bristol. I would drop Biology to take up FM which is quite daunting as I did very well on the theory side of Biol. I like maths but I heard that FM is pretty hardcore and I'm not sure I like it THAT much. I was quite content with carrying on with Econ, Maths and Biol.

So I would very much appreciate some advice on whether it would be worth it to take on this new challenge or whether to just carry on with my original choice. Also, whether you can get into Oxford, Cambridge or Warwick with "normal" maths or whether the competition is too great.

Thanks.
Then drop physics and take up FM? If you don't want to go to oxbridge surely it goes without saying that you shouldn't apply.

Latest