The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
No.
Definitely not. My parents have never laid a single finger on me in my entire life, but I have been subjected to strict disciplinary actions of other forms. For example, when I was young whenever I used to swear my dad would put a teaspoon of chili power in my mouth haha good times! :eek3:

Needless to say, I shall be emulating the same discipline with my kids...because when I was at the recieving end of it I turned out to be a fantastic kid :proud:
Definitely....Isn't that what part of parenting is? :dontknow:

I'm looking forward to buying belts already.
Annoying-Mouse
It is out of fear. How is it not out of fear? The child receives a message telling him each time he does an action that his parents don't approve of he will get a smacking.

He does not know what he is talking about. The nervous system learns through conditioning; you are conditioned when you are beaten. You learn to fear the hitter, and eventually, you have kids who end up with anxiety disorders.

I do not want my children to fear me - it is the last thing I want.
lilzoldier
If You Have Children Will You Beat Them?

Is it really neccesary and arent there better forms of discipline out there?

I would like to hear peoples views on this?

bruv. whatever happened to my offer of mentoring you.

and yes I will beat my children. I will also occasionally use slippers to aid me in this
fallen angel9
I don't really plan on having kids, but I did and they stepped out of line I wouldn't hesitate to give them the occasional smack. The way some children behave today is beyond a joke.

Why don't you want kids?
vitamortis
He does not know what he is talking about. The nervous system learns through conditioning; you are conditioned when you are beaten. You learn to fear the hitter, and eventually, you have kids who end up with anxiety disorders.

my parents hit me and I don't fear them. I do however have proper respect for them and wouldn't dream of taking the liberties that I see other people doing to their parents
Reply 67
Only if they don't love me. I'll beat some love into them.
Reply 68
No, I hope I never hit my child. I think it's a terrible way to instill good behaviour.
Reply 69
I will.

Beating them, (lightly, of course) is fine. You do it too a dog, the dog understands that that is wrong, and it will cease to do it. You never strike a dog hard, that incites anger and will make it fear your return, however, tugging its neck/ear/scruff works wonders.

For a child, I'll do more or less the same thing.

Every animal does it, or at least, the one's that stay with their children for at least a while. Its a natural thing to do. It stops the child touching that hot plate, throwing food on the floor, hurting other animals needlessly etc.
Any bad thing the child will do that will put either itself or another in danger, or will make the child think that doing A is wrong, you can safely punish him/her for, as its just a method of keeping him/her safe.

Just the same way as you praise him/her for being well behaved, and doing the right thing. It all works out.

So yes, I will.
FinalFlash
Definitely....Isn't that what part of parenting is? :dontknow:

I'm looking forward to buying belts already.

FF you have made me laugh far too many times today :toofunny:
yoyo462001
If your child is hitting you or your spouse you are a bad parent.

Thread: Yes my child will be getting beats, unlike many people in this thread I don't plan to have disrespectful children that will be calling me by my first name at the age of 6, nor will I be pleading with them in the super market to stop crying.

This. Although I probably won't be the one dishing out the punishment, it is best left to the mother unless things become dire.
No I could never hit them. My parents never hit me which is probably rare coming from an African family and I came out fine. There are other methods of discipline.
vitamortis

The majority of the nigerian & african community beat there children, not once have I seen one of my friends being disrespectful to their parents nor do any of us fear our parents. If all I got was a talking to by my parents everytime I was bad, well oh boy lets just say I would have run rampant. Beating your kids is a great way to install discipline. (obviously not the only way)
CombineHarvester
This. Although I probably won't be the one dishing out the punishment, it is best left to the mother unless things become dire.

you know when your dad gets involved, **** is going down!
Yes I will beat them and starve them until they learn discipline!
yoyo462001
Why don't you want kids?

The thought doesn't really appeal to me in the slightest tbh. The idea of childbirth really freaks me out tbh. :erm:
yoyo462001
The majority of the nigerian & african community beat there children, not once have I seen one of my friends being disrespectful to their parents nor do any of us fear our parents. If all I got was a talking to by my parents everytime I was bad, well oh boy lets just say I would have run rampant. Beating your kids is a great way to install discipline. (obviously not the only way)

It would depend how you beat your kids. I have seen my friends parents (from African backgrounds) beat the younger children of the family in a variety of ways: many have simply hit them with a slap on the the arm, and many have used slippers, and at times, even belts.

If by beating (in this instance) you define as a slap on the wrist, or a light hit across the face, then yes, it probably works. If however you would define it as belt buckles being indented on your back, then I don't think that would go too well.
Reply 78
No, I hope (if I ever get round to actually wanting kids) that I'll never hit them/smack them/physically punish them. My parents never laid a finger on me (at least, not that I can remember) yet I remember being absolutely terrified when they raised their voices at me purely because it was such a change from their usual selves. In fact I think the scariest thing they ever did was talk between themselves about stopping caring about me if I couldn't behave (I was too young to realise they were acting...). And when I wouldn't stop screaming they didn't hit me, they threatened to record me on a tape and play it to my friends at school (in like year 1-2) :zomg:.

I want to bring my children up like that, if I have them. I don't fear my parents, I respect them because they never needed to physically harm me.

The only situation I think it can be justified to smack children is when they have repeatedly ignored warnings like 'don't walk out into the road'.
yoyo462001
FF you have made me laugh far too many times today :toofunny:

Sorry. :lol:

Although I think Dave Chapelle should take 99% of the credit. :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending