The Student Room Group

A-level options help

Ok i don't really know how you use this site :s-smilie:, i'm new to it.

I got my GCSE results with grades A*-B (11 GCSE's all together), i have chosen these 3 A-levels for definate (Maths [pure and statistics], Chemistry and Biology), but i don't know what to pick for my 4th option.
I chose accounts on my enrolment form, but i'm unsure if i actually want to do it (i need to make my final decision by next tuesday). So, what is the easiet AS levels to do, which also kinds of relate to my above subjects?

Your subjects are all very sciencey, so why don't you try something fun for your last subject (as a source of light relief) If you enjoy designing take graphics or DT, or try music if you're any good at an instrument. Psychology might also go well with your subjects, and I really love it. But that's my own opinion, some people find it a lot of work, its only fun if you find it interesting, so you could do some reading on the internet.
Reply 2
Choose what you got an A/A* in at GCSE or try something new....

I'd definitely try a humanities subject, such as English Lit or History. Psychology is very interesting as well, and you might surprise yourself as to how good you are at it (like i did! lol)

Drama and Music are really good, too, but you have to be really passionate or really good (or preferably, both!) to do well!

I can personally recommend psychology, english lit, music and drama :smile:
Reply 3
How about Philosophy? Kind of ties in with science in a certain sense.
Reply 4
i was thinking of picking psychology, but i don't know whats involved because my sixth form prospectus is soo brief :|
i've also heard its a very easy subject to pass, is that true? because some people also say its very hard. could you please tell me what type of work is involved, thank you

my gcse results were these: (do you think i'll be able to succeed in psychology then?)

maths (edexcel)-A
english lang. and lit. (aqa)-B (each)
double science (edexcel)-B,B
sociology (aqa)-A
r.e (aqa)-A
citizenship (edexcel)-A
geography (ocr)-B
i.c.t (edexcel-dida)-B
home economics food (wjec)-A*

i hardly revised with approx. 20% of revision effort, if i revised properly i probs could have achieved all A's or A*'s

p.s. my school does not have philosophy
Reply 5
I've heard psychology is very enjoyable. However it's also consided as a science subject.

I picked the same as you but my 4th was history :smile:.

Although I didn't get a top grade I chose it because I found the lesson and subject to be enjoyable, and I was lazing around instead of studying for my GCSEs :P I know if I work hard I can achieve an A or B at AS History (fingers crossed).

I'd say pick a subject you feel you'll enjoy, that's the most important thing, and as long as you work hard you'll get the grades :smile:
Reply 6
Perhaps an essay based arts subject like English lit, history or philosophy to balance out the sciencey subjects. Or if you were interested in more maths based work Further Maths or Economics seem the way to go.
OP what mainly interests you in school and do yu have any degree ideas as this will help decide for you ? :smile:
EDIT seen you are considering psychology. Friends who did this memorised alot of theorists and terms to do with certain modes of behaviour/ types of therapy and the historical aspects of psychology. The exams are longer essay based questions, it seems
enjoyable but as with everything those who did the most revision achieved he best results through essay practice and cards for terms etc. Those who did biology said both subjece compliment each other very well :biggrin:
Reply 7
its weird though, the subjects i really really disliked and hated i got the A's in (except maths-thats my fave subject), so i don't really want to pick sociology and english as this is the most i least enjoyed and had a lot of essay writing, i honestly thought i was going to get a D or the C the most, as this is what i kept achieving in my mocks
i was thinking to pick either further maths (but not sure if im capable as this is for very very clever people and i would say im average-normal in maths) or psychology?
not further maths!
Reply 9
How about Economics ?

Latest