The Student Room Group
maxiimo
ok I had to attract people some how, thus the psycho title :biggrin:

I want to calculate my final grade by the end of A2 (as in all the grades (IGCSE + AS + A2)). How do I get the grade?

What is the weighting of each level?

Example (NOT REAL example ):
A2 counts as 45 percent of the final grade.
AS counts as 25 percent of the final grade.
IGCSE counts as 30 percent of the final grade.

Whats the real weighting ?

Thanks !

Aren't IGCSEs completely independent of A-levels, as in they don't count towards your final A-level grade? In that case IGCSE would be 0%.

AS and A2 both normally count 50% each towards your final grade. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Reply 2
yeah AS and A2 are 50/50. however i think to get an a* you normally need 90%+ in your A2 modules.

not heard of iGCSEs so dunno where they fit in, sorry.
Reply 3
OL1V3R
Aren't IGCSEs completely independent of A-levels, as in they don't count towards your final A-level grade? In that case IGCSE would be 0%.

AS and A2 both normally count 50% each towards your final grade. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Yes they are independent but when I want to show universities my results I'm pretty sure my IGCSE's would have an impact on whether they will accept me or not.
The question is how much impact exactly.
IGCSE is a level 2 qualification.
A Levels are level 3 qualifications, and are made up of 50% AS and 50% A2.

NB: It is a myth that the A2 is qualification - you will only get certificates for AS Levels and an A Levels.
maxiimo
Yes they are independent but when I want to show universities my results I'm pretty sure my IGCSE's would have an impact on whether they will accept me or not.
The question is how much impact exactly.

This can't be worked out percentage-wise. Universities put different weightings on GCSE results; some don't even take them into consideration at all providing you reach the minimum requirements.

IGCSEs and A levels are completely separate qualifications. A levels are made up of 50% AS and 50% A2.
Reply 6
placenta medicae talpae
IGCSE is a level 2 qualification.
A Levels are level 3 qualifications, and are made up of 50% AS and 50% A2.

So each level of qualification will be looked at seperately ?
Reply 7
Isn't IGCSE's Sames as GCSE's?

If thats the case, surely they won't add up to A-levels.

No? Please tell me if I'm right lol
maxiimo
So each level of qualification will be looked at seperately ?

To a certain extent, yep :smile:
When you apply to a university, they will only see your AS Levels.
Your offer will then usually be based only on your A Levels.

The AS Level is a qualification in its own right.
But the AS Level is also half of the A Level.

You can think of your A Level grade as the average of your grades in your AS and A2 years (except in the case of the A* grade).
Reply 9
placenta medicae talpae
When you apply to a university, they will only see your AS Levels.

That would be extremely devistating. I didn't do as required in my AS examinations and I will need to improve greatly in the following A2 year :eek3:

I need a scholarship and I don't think I would obtain one with my AS results, so will they wait until my A2 results come out or will they totally ignore me :confused:
maxiimo
That would be extremely devistating. I didn't do as required in my AS examinations and I will need to improve greatly in the following A2 year :eek3:

I need a scholarship and I don't think I would obtain one with my AS results, so will they wait until my A2 results come out or will they totally ignore me :confused:

They will see your IGCSEs as well! :smile:

Latest