The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy

Hi, was just wondering if there are any student roomies who are currently/ are considering doing Speech and Language Therapy degree? If so where are you thinking of going/ or where are you at? Do you enjoy it? Why did you decide to do it? Work experience necessary? Give me as much info as possible! I would be SO grateful!

Thanks,

Camilla

PS- Need info asap as I must decide soonish!
Reply 1
During my CertHE in Special Ed Needs and Rehabilitation, my main focus areas were speech therapy and early rehabilitation.
It was a very rewarding experience, especially the placements. It is quite a tough job though and you need to be very good at linguistics, psychology, etc.

Work experience is hard to get, especially because of client confidentiality. But see what you can get. Maybe volunteer at a school with special needs kids, etc.

Here is some info about the degree at Manchester uni. I don't know where you want to go, but I once considered this degree.
BSc Speech and Language Therapy
Reply 2
I was considering doing this as well. Do you need to have a language A level to be allowed on the course? I'm doing a japanese level 1 certificate but it's nowhere near an A level - I did do french and german gcses though. Otherwise I'm doing English Lit, Human Bio, Psychology, Citizenship and Philosophy.

I'm just worried that because I haven't done a language they won't let me on the course.
Reply 3
This is what Manchester says about entrance requirements:
A levels
ABB (mixture of Arts and Science subjects an advantage - especially Biology, English Language or Psychology). Additional AS levels are welcomed but we need to see three subjects carried through a two year course leading to three full A-levels.
Scottish
Grades AAABB. A mixture of arts and science subjects would be an advantage.
Irish
Contact us for further information.
BTEC
Contact us for further information.
IB
33 points overall with 17 at Higher level. A mixture of arts and science subjects an advantage.
GCSE
Minimum of 6 at grade C or above including English Language, a modern foreign language and a science or dual award science at grade BB or above.

Sounds like you would be fine with your French and German GCSEs. English Lang would of course be better than English Lit, but this won't certainly stop you from doing the course. Human bio, Psychology and the effort to learn another language should be very favorable for you.

Where do you want to study then?
Reply 4
Here is a list of Unis offering the course:

University of Wales Institute, Cardiff (C20)
Speech and Language Therapy (B620) 4FT Hon BSc
Entry Requirements

University of Central England in Birmingham
Speech and Language Therapy (B620) 3FT Hon BSc
Entry Requirements

City University (C60)
Speech and Language Therapy (4 years) (B620) 4FT Hon BSc

De Montfort University (D26)
Human Communication (Speech & Language Therapy) (B620) 3.5FT Deg BSc

University of East Anglia (E14)

The University of Essex (E70)
Language Acquisition and Language Disorders (Q190) 3FT Hon BA

Leeds Metropolitan University (L27)
Clinical Language Sci (Speech and Lang Therapy) (B630) 3FT Hon BSc

The University of Manchester (M20)
Speech and Language Therapy (4 years) (B620) 4FT Hon BSc

The Manchester Metropolitan University (M40)
Speech Pathology and Therapy (B630) 3.5FT Hon BSc

Marjon - The College of St Mark & St John (M50)

University of Newcastle Upon Tyne (N21)
Speech and Language Sciences (B620) 4FT Hon BSc

Queen Margaret University College, Edinburgh (Q25)
Speech and Language Therapy (B630) 4FT Hon BSc

The University of Reading (R12)
Speech and Language Therapy (B690) 4FT Hon BSc

University of Ulster (U20)
Speech and Language Therapy (B632) 4FT Hon BSc

For the other Entry Requirements just do the UCAS SEARCH!
Reply 5
A friend of mine is studying S&L Therapy at UWIC, starting this year. She applied without even a language GCSE, completing that in the year of application, and studying Media Studies, Religious Studies and History A levels. She did do a heck of extra-curricular stuff related to it though, and I think that's the best tip.
Reply 6
Thanks for the info guys. Have a few more questions tho! Coldfish- you saying that your friend had lots of extra-curricular stuff has worried me a tad...I dont do a mega amount outside of college: Kayaking and voluntary work at Oxfam. Thats about it. And they're not particularly related to S and L therapy :frown: Any suggestions of what I could say or do to improve my application?

Another question: Do you reckon the fact that I have done some work experience at an audiologist might help?

Oh and if anyone has a personal statement (those who are applying for s and l therapy) and would like to share it, I would be very grateful!
Reply 7
Rep for yourjoy! :biggrin: Thanks a bunch!

I'd quite like to study in London, or Reading possibly. Anywhere that I can get home within a few hours, I'd quite like to come home at the weekends.

I think the fact you've worked with an Audiologist would help considerably. I'd give you a place :biggrin:
Reply 8
cameleon
Thanks for the info guys. Have a few more questions tho! Coldfish- you saying that your friend had lots of extra-curricular stuff has worried me a tad...I dont do a mega amount outside of college: Kayaking and voluntary work at Oxfam. Thats about it. And they're not particularly related to S and L therapy :frown: Any suggestions of what I could say or do to improve my application?

Another question: Do you reckon the fact that I have done some work experience at an audiologist might help?

Oh and if anyone has a personal statement (those who are applying for s and l therapy) and would like to share it, I would be very grateful!

To start with, ANY extra work is a plus. But if you can, get some work experience.
Contact some local schools that have special needs kids, and ask if you could volunteer there?
Reply 9
Sopheh
Rep for yourjoy! :biggrin: Thanks a bunch!

I'd quite like to study in London, or Reading possibly. Anywhere that I can get home within a few hours, I'd quite like to come home at the weekends.

I think the fact you've worked with an Audiologist would help considerably. I'd give you a place :biggrin:

Seems like City Uni is the one to go to in London. I have heard some of their courses are really good. Speech & Language Therapy info.
They only have 40 places and typical offers are:
A/AS-level: BBB or equivalent
AGNVQ: Health and Social Care
BTEC: M overall
IB: 30
In addition: GCSE grade C or equivalent in English language and maths

So you would probably stand a good chance with some extra work and experience. One thing competitive courses look for is COMMITMENT!

London is a nice place to live and the school is at Northampton Square I think. That's in Islington/Angel. Nice area.

Reading, I don't know much about. S&L T info
Their entrance requirements are:
UCAS Tariff: 320 points from three A levels. Total points exclude Key Skills and General Studies.
Irish Highers: AABBB
International Baccalaureate: 32 points.

They give you info about modules studied on the website. Looks very interesting.

University College London also offers a BSc in Speech Sciences
and a BSc in Speech Communications .
Very reputable school :smile:

Hope that helps.
Reply 10
I went to my college careers advisor, and she let me go on a computer program called kudos. Dont know whether you've heard of it but it is very useful. Got some good websites that might be useful for you:

www.nhscareers.nhs.uk

www.rcslt.org

Both are good, and you can see what jobs are currently available with the nhs in S and L therapy, and what the salaries and job content is.
Reply 11
I'm applying for SLT this year, I found that the best sites were nhs and individual universities.
Reply 12
cameleon
Hi, was just wondering if there are any student roomies who are currently/ are considering doing Speech and Language Therapy degree? If so where are you thinking of going/ or where are you at? Do you enjoy it? Why did you decide to do it? Work experience necessary? Give me as much info as possible! I would be SO grateful!

Thanks,

Camilla

PS- Need info asap as I must decide soonish!

One of my friends is doing the 2 year SLT masters at City University.
Reply 13
catryn
I'm applying for SLT this year, I found that the best sites were nhs and individual universities.

Can I ask a few questions?!

- Where you are applying?
- Why did you decide to do S&l therapy?
- Have you done any work experience?
- Have you done your personal statement yet?
Reply 14
I know this is a bit naughty, but if anyone is interested, there's a SALT forum on admissions forum now.

If anyone is offended with me advertising another forum, then PM me and I'll remove this, but admissions forum is ran by our old 'head of admissions' at Barts and The London, who is now a SALT student doing the 2 year masters route at City Uni.

I'm sure that if she's added a SALT forum that there must have been scope for one, and I expect that there will be more SALTers about very soon.

Anyway, if you're interested, it's here: http://www.admissionsforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Latest

Trending

Trending