The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I always thought it was vitamin deficiencies? I eat loads of fruit and veg and never get them.

Anyway, I've heard liquorice is meant to be really good for easing the pain when you have them.
So basically have a big bowl full of:

Marmite
Milk
Salt
Liquorice
Fruit
Vegetables
Honey

ANd you're all set!
Reply 22
Marmite does the trick for me, but it's more a preventative than a cure.
I know it doesn't cure it but Bonjella really soothes it.
Get some medicinal mouthwash. It traumatises your tastebuds but the ulcers'll be gone in a few days.
Reply 25
sammiebam19
I know it doesn't cure it but Bonjella really soothes it.

Agreed, when i had too massive ulcers in my mouth that were preventing my sleeping i shoved bonjella on every 3 hours and was happily sleeping with numbed uclers :smile:
Reply 26
defuzion
Am I the only person that thinks mouth ulcers feels good in a painful kind of way?

I know what you mean.
counterstrike
The last one i had i gargled salt water and it seriously worked for me, i was told to have the water as hot as i could handle. So yea it worked for me !

I'd go with this, salt water seems a lot more natural than chemical mouthwashes and gels.

As an example, I read somewhere that alcohol-based mouthwashes have been proven to increase the likelihood of mouth cancer.
Reply 28
Salt water works wonders :smile:
ALSO!!! Eat clove rock sweeties! NJ the clove makes your mouth numb and if you just eat big ones or have 2 at a time it makes your mouth numb for ages :biggrin: I love the stuff :p: (of course if the ulcers are like in the crease between the inside if your lips and your teeth, this isn't really relevant :frown: ) I'm like you, OP, in the sense that I get ulcers all the time :frown:
I also use this stuff called Orabase for mouth ulcers. It has the most disgusting texture, and it gets stuck on your teeth and all when your ulcers are in less-accessible areas of your mouth, but it is actually brilliant! Bonjela sucks tbh. It makes it numb for like 5 mins and then it wares off, and of course you're only allowed to use it every so often :frown: lol.
Reply 29
I'm afraid ulcers are not well understood & at present there's no miracle cure.

Take multivitamins to help prevent them - works brilliantly in a minority of people where ulcers are caused by vitamin deficiency

Adcortyl in Orobase (steroid) helped a lot - but they stopped making it last year. You could try Corlan pellets instead.

TBH, they usually go within a few days whatever you do
Reply 30
There's a website dedicated to mouth ulcers for sufferers: http://www.mouthulcers.org/

I used to get loads of mouth ulcers. There wasn't a time when I didin't have at least 2 or 3, usually more. I bought the Squiggle Enamel Saver toothpaste from that site and all of a sudden, I hardly get mouth ulcers. The only time I really get them now is when I bite the inside of my mouth. Mouth ulcers are caused by different things for different people but for some, it's the SLS (a foaming agent) in most toothpastes, which the Squiggle toothpaste doesn't have. That seemed to be my cause.

As for soothing the pain when I do get them. Listerine mouth wash is fairly good. It initially stings like hell. Then I can't feel the ulcer at all for half an hour or so. It doesn't really make them go away any faster though.
Reply 31
jimbo139
TBH, they usually go within a few days whatever you do

That's not always true. For people that get mild ulcers this is usually the case but if you get bad ones like I used to, they tend to persist for a couple of weeks which is really frustrating at times. It's worth trying to find your cause if possible.
Reply 32
Cheers guys.
I looked it up earlier, too. I didn't know if it was something like, my teeth rubbing against the insides of my mouth that could cause them or whatnot.

Apparently hormones can create them - and I've had dodgy hormones this year, so that could be a reason.
I might try vitamins - I sure don't get enough - I'd rather find the reason and prevent them rather than battle them every time I get one. x__x
Reply 33
I get them when I don't get enough sleep, after a decent nights sleep they are usually gone :smile:
I was going to suggest Bonjela then I read your post again. It tastes horrid!
Get some rest and gargle with salt water. If it's due to dental problems you should sort that out quickly.

Latest