The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Gyms

I know most Uni's have their own gyms, however what is Warwick's one like? I'm mostly interested in the weights section, i don't care about the treadmills and stuff, running can be done outdoors.

My question is basically, does the gym have squat/power racks and numerous benches, dumbells etc.

If the answer to the above question is "No" where is the best and cheapest gym in Warwick and Leamington for such facilities?

I'm applying this year, and just want to know about the facilities, thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There was a thread about this not long ago. AFAIK the facilities at warwick are great, theyve got benches, squat racks and free weights.

Are you a powerlifter by any chance? I'm a fresher too and I do powerlifting
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Not exactly a powerlifter, but i've been training since around the start of summer on an SS variant. However considering the amount of free time at Uni, especially the first year, I thought I may as well use it wisely and hit the gym regularly.
piszczel
There was a thread about this not long ago. AFAIK the facilities at warwick are great, theyve got benches, squat racks and free weights.

Are you a powerlifter by any chance? I'm a fresher too and I do powerlifting

don't think that the number of benches is particularly great.

there's 3 in the "fitness thing" which has small free weights

3 in the heavy free weights room

don't really call that LOTS after seeing a video with Edinburgh's gym yesterday (looks amezzing)
Reply 4
Troubled_Student
Not exactly a powerlifter, but i've been training since around the start of summer on an SS variant. However considering the amount of free time at Uni, especially the first year, I thought I may as well use it wisely and hit the gym regularly.

Well you can train with me once in a while if you want. I'm in the gym 3x a week, whether it's christmas or raining frogs. Basically I train regularly lol.

I don't need much to train really, my current gym is not exactly great so I'm used to crappy gyms :yep:
piszczel
Well you can train with me once in a while if you want. I'm in the gym 3x a week, whether it's christmas or raining frogs. Basically I train regularly lol.

I don't need much to train really, my current gym is not exactly great so I'm used to crappy gyms :yep:

Note: OP is not a fresher. He's applying for next year.
Reply 6
There are also 2 benches in the weights room, + 2 squat raX
Reply 7
Gym is ok.
Theres 2 squat racks which aren't massively used, a lot of machines and a room with dumbells up too 50kg and 4 benches. Lots of freeweights and bars, etcetc. A starting strength routine would be easy to do. The gym has most of the stuff that youd need, issue with it is that the gym in my opinion is WAY to small for the university (ques for everything). Aslong as your willing to find the times when it's less busy (earlier than later) then it's really useful. And at £90 for a YEAR a definate bargian.
Bcx
Gym is ok.
Theres 2 squat racks which aren't massively used, a lot of machines and a room with dumbells up too 50kg and 4 benches. Lots of freeweights and bars, etcetc. A starting strength routine would be easy to do. The gym has most of the stuff that youd need, issue with it is that the gym in my opinion is WAY to small for the university (ques for everything). Aslong as your willing to find the times when it's less busy (earlier than later) then it's really useful. And at £90 for a YEAR a definate bargian.

Could definitely do with being bigger, but you have to just pick your times to go. Ie, don't go between 5 and 8 and you'll be fine!
GarethBrown
Could definitely do with being bigger, but you have to just pick your times to go. Ie, don't go between 5 and 8 and you'll be fine!

The gym close at 9pm which sucks!:mad:

So before 5pm, there is no queue? what about weekends?
destination unknown
The gym close at 9pm which sucks!:mad:

So before 5pm, there is no queue? what about weekends?

It closes at 9.30PM, currently looking at extending that though. Weekends on campus are generally 'quieter' anyway and I've never had a problem at weekends.

You will definitely have two hour + breaks in your timetable, in the middle of the day at 'off-peak' times when you can use the gym with much fewer people around. Even an hour is probably long enough for most people living on campus to go back to accom, change, get to the gym, use the gym, shower and then go to their next lecture/seminar!
Reply 11
but at off peak times, you won't be knee deep in clunge?
When you sign in to join War'Sport, where it says "Fitness Suite - Student Whole Year - Includes Performance Weights - £93" does that mean including the Performance Weights Room? I heard you have to pay for the fitness suite and PWR separately.
Zweihander
When you sign in to join War'Sport, where it says "Fitness Suite - Student Whole Year - Includes Performance Weights - £93" does that mean including the Performance Weights Room? I heard you have to pay for the fitness suite and PWR separately.

Looks like they've combined them for £3 more.
Reply 14
TheTallOne
Looks like they've combined them for £3 more.

That's ******* ********

What's included in the fitness suite anyway? Does it include a swimming pool?
piszczel
That's ******* ********

What's included in the fitness suite anyway? Does it include a swimming pool?

Weights Rooms is still available on its own for £36.

It's just that before it was the Fitness Suite for £90, now it is Fitness Suite+PWR for £93.

Swimming pool is included in the base membership, fitness suite includes the gym equipment (treadmills, X trainers, bikes, rowers, steppers, resistance training and some free weights).
Reply 16
Oh thats good. Id never use the fitness suite anyway.
The idea of paying £90 just for the ability to do cardio seems retarded to me when you can just run/bike outside
Last year it was also Fitness Suite and performance weights, it hasn't changed.

WarwickSport - includes access to our clubs, squash courts, general facility bookings when not already in use, swimming pool.

piszczel, some people like interval training on bikes which you can't really do without pretty suitable geography around you... Also rowing isnt the easiest outdoor activity on campus :P I see where you're coming from though, I don't think I'd ever hit a treadmill inside.

Remember facilities are FREE for the first week so you can come down to the Sports Centre and try everything out before you buy it.
piszczel
The idea of paying £90 just for the ability to do cardio seems retarded to me when you can just run/bike outside

You cant watch Jeremy Kyle outside.
Reply 19
piszczel

Yeah, but the machines are in the cardio room. Like the free-wire (I never learnt its' proper name) and the lower weight bars (Easier to go in there when you're doing things like nose crackers).

Latest

Trending

Trending