The Student Room Group

If I were to do a gap year and then reapply for economics...

...to what extent would I have to justify the gap year to the universities when reapplying?

I've heard that they often display concerns that a gap year may mean that students become rusty on their academics, maths ability etc. and that they will be quite careful to push away the students that don't indicate they are going to be doing anything during their spare year - not offering anything to the table that Year 13 applicants can't provide.

Either way, what way would you have to approach universities in the personal statement (or elsewhere)? A paragraph - or more/less - devoted to saying what you are already doing and have planned to do? Will you have to give significant evidence that you are enriching your application in the year? Does a gap year have any relevance in economics admissions?

More specifically to economics, if universities were to put weight on gap year activities... are their any particular ones they would respond to more positively than others? As lovely as a temporary job with a large firm would be - they are pretty hard to come by at this time and even then, the job wouldn't neccessarily be relevant to the subject.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance.

Tom.

Latest

Trending

Trending