The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ok guys. Finally I'm doing Maths, Phy, Chem. Thanks very much for the info! Tc.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 21
Vincentspawn

You're only doing three subjects now?
Through a door :smile:

I kid, do what the others have said!
With a crowbar, some wire cutters and the cover of darkness. :teehee:
Applying to Imperial would help your chances. But seriously, get rid of media studies. Take up Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Economics or something. From my experience Imperial give really high offers and take the piss where possible, making it as hard as poss. My offer was A*AAa (they even asked for that A in further maths AS).
Reply 25
drop media studies- too soft
drop siocology- pick another science subject- makes you a stronger applicant already
and the obvious- get the A*s and As
Vincentspawn

What about a fourth AS? As far as I remember, that's always pretty important. If your school is advising otherwise I don't recommend you listen to them.
You seem to want to apply for Music. Does Imperial even run a music course?
Reply 27
Vincentspawn

i hope you mean for A2 coz you need 4 AS levels if you want to stand a chance mate:p:

:lol:
Reply 28
"Best way to get into Imperial College".....pass the exams, choose the right subjects?

http://tinyurl.com/3ycc65f
Reply 29
well for myeself in compsci which is generally mathsy/engineering i got in with maths and AS further, physics and psychology. so what i recommend is dropping media studiesfor AT LEAST AS further maths (if not full further) and switching sociology to psychology if available and this area interests you; this should give you a respectable foundation for doing engineering at any of the top unis.
Reply 30
Farhan.Hanif93
What about a fourth AS? As far as I remember, that's always pretty important. If your school is advising otherwise I don't recommend you listen to them.
You seem to want to apply for Music. Does Imperial even run a music course?

imperial is right next to the royal albert hall where you can get a music scholarship for free music lessons with a top music teacher, so yes, presumably music is imporatant to imperial even if they dont run a specific music course
Reply 31
fiksen99
imperial is right next to the royal albert hall where you can get a music scholarship for free music lessons with a top music teacher, so yes, presumably music is imporatant to imperial even if they dont run a specific music course

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/physics/physicsmusic
BananaNinja
If you're interested in engineering, I'd probably recommend further maths as well.

hey, your course in your sig is the one I would love to do in 2012! May I ask what you did to get it? grades,enrichment etc :smile:
Sure thing! I did Biology, Physics and English Lit for A-Level and had to get AAB as my offer but luckily got AAA :biggrin:

I play a few sports and things so chucked them in my personal statement, and I did a bit of wider reading of the bit of biology I was interested in too, so added them in for good measure! Luckily the Life Sciences dept didn't interview for biology, so that was one less thing to worry about. I didn't have any relevant work experience but I'd definitely recommend looking into some just to stand out from the crowd, can't hurt your chances!

If you need to know anything else, just let me know :smile: What are you studying atm? And where else are you looking?
Reply 34
BananaNinja
Sure thing! I did Biology, Physics and English Lit for A-Level and had to get AAB as my offer but luckily got AAA :biggrin:

I play a few sports and things so chucked them in my personal statement, and I did a bit of wider reading of the bit of biology I was interested in too, so added them in for good measure! Luckily the Life Sciences dept didn't interview for biology, so that was one less thing to worry about. I didn't have any relevant work experience but I'd definitely recommend looking into some just to stand out from the crowd, can't hurt your chances!

If you need to know anything else, just let me know :smile: What are you studying atm? And where else are you looking?

Thanks everyone!

@ BananaNinja: Actually there's been a drastic change in my subjects. I've been denied Chemistry because I've not done it in GCSE, although I promised to work really, really hard for it in AS.

But finally, I'm doing Maths, Physics, French and Media Studies as there is NO Further Maths or Economics courses available in the institution I attend. :s-smilie: There's Psychology and sociology, but I think it'll be too late for changing subjects, if they are worthy that is.

I'm really aiming for ICL, it'd be nice of you to suggest things I might to do increase my chances of getting enrolled. I'm aiming for Aeronautics or Mechanical Engineering.

Thanks!
Reply 35
I would have thought an A* in maths would be enough if you got A's in your other subjects. If you didn't get an A* then chances would be fairly slim. So yeah, best to switch courses and pick up another science.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 36
jacob2
I would have thought an A* in maths would be enough if you got A's in your other subjects. If you didn't get an A* then chances would be fairly slim. So yeah, best to switch courses and pick up another science.

Maths and Physics are definitely my strong points. Do you think if I drop Media and French at the end of the AS year (say I got A in these) and then continuing with Maths and Physics for A2 would be good? I saw on the admissions requirements that 2 AS levels and 2 A2 levels at A would be acceptable.
Reply 37
Only 2 A-levels? They might accept it but doing only 2 will not help your application. You probably need to do very well at interview because of it. Do you really want to take such a gamble?

My advice is to take chemistry to A2.
Reply 38
BananaNinja
If you're interested in engineering, I'd probably recommend further maths as well.

BANANANINJA!!! You're into Imperial for Biology! CONGRATS! I've just applied for Biochem, 2011 entry. How's life at Imperial? Are the lectures good? Manageable workload?
And most of all- how was fresher's week!? :smile:
why hello there and good luck for your application, I'm sure you'll do great! Life at Imperial is AWESOME, if I'd known uni would be this fun I would've come years ago!

One of my friends is doing biochem and seems to have a very agreeable timetable, way more of a lie-in than I get (9 am every morning :frown: ) and the lectures are a fairly big shock at first, but slowly getting used to it! I've just had an essay to do but they seem to be easing biochem in more gently :tongue:

But yeah, imperial's great, no idea where the "geeky" stereotype came from, I've met some great people, going to a great uni and living in london! LOVING IT.

Latest

Trending

Trending