The Student Room Group
Reply 1
If you get predicted AAC, look for the best unis that you can find that give their offers in terms of the UCAS points tariff.
im planning to resit a biology paper. im hoping my teacher will be kind enough to let me take the B
Reply 3
*Maybe* QM
Reply 4
By "redbrick" i'm assuming you mean the top 10 law schools? As not all of the redbrick uni's have very good law departments. Unfortunately, all of the top 10 would require predictions of AAA (some even require AAA plus an extra AS level *Kings*). However there are some good law schools that may consider you with AAB they may just not be top 10. I think Southampton give offers of AAB, and also possibly Leicester. Both are good law schools. I think QM only gives AAA offers but I can't be certain.

Do some research and as long as you are predicted AAB i'm confident you can get some offers from great uni's.

Good luck!
Reply 5
Liverpool
Sheffield
York 'maybe'
Leeds
Reply 6
High As A Kite
x

I'd speak to your teacher and try to get the AAB prediction - that way you can realistically apply to the (usually better) schools that ask for 'AAB' rather than "x" many UCAS points.

Places to consider would include Liverpool/Reading and UEA. I also rate Hull, Kent and Keele quite highly; these places generally ask for ~ABB and so may be worthwhile considering as an insurance choice or if you are predicted the 'AAC' instead.
Reply 7
As a side note, this might prove helpful. It needs a little updating but it's still pretty accurate. :smile:
Mr_Deeds
As a side note, this might prove helpful. It needs a little updating but it's still pretty accurate. :smile:

thank you for getting back to me :smile:

Liverpool
Reading
Southampton
UEA East Anglia
Sheffield
Leicester

Based on your opinion how would you rank them ^ ? in decending order

Also, i heard that you can do some kind of conversion course into law if you didnt pick it in your first year. Do you think there is any point in doing this?
Reply 9
Southampton, Leicester and Sheffield are that little bit better than Liverpool, UEA and Reading but they also ask for AAA. Between the two groups the universities are virtually indistinguishable. You'd be splitting hairs to say that one was any better than the other. The GDL is definitely worthwhile but it's an extra year of study and it's also pretty intense - you cover about two years work in one which obviously means that you'll compromise on detail. If you think you'll enjoy law then you should study it but definitely do bear in mind that a law degree is not the only route into the profession. :smile:
Reply 10
kevin6767
A guy I know went into law and didn't bother doing a law degree at all. He started out in a entry level job at Latham and Watkins (which I believe is a magic circle law firm) and did his legal studies whilst working for the firm. 5 years later he was a qualified solicitor on £50,000 a year + company car+ benefits and importantly he didn't owe a penny in student debt. Just stating uni isn't the only option for law. If you want to go to uni tell ucas your grades and they will give you a list of unis that would consider you. If you can show you have relevant work experience and determination an AAA uni may consider you

Latham & Watkins aren't quite magic circle but they're a big American law firm. Your friend's in a very small minority and, at the moment, it would be very difficult for any budding lawyer to enter the profession in this way. In theory, it is true to say that you don't have to have a degree to become a lawyer but in practice it's very uncommon for that to be the case. :smile:
Reply 11
kevin6767
A guy I know went into law and didn't bother doing a law degree at all. He started out in a entry level job at Latham and Watkins (which I believe is a magic circle law firm) and did his legal studies whilst working for the firm. 5 years later he was a qualified solicitor on £50,000 a year + company car+ benefits and importantly he didn't owe a penny in student debt. Just stating uni isn't the only option for law. If you want to go to uni tell ucas your grades and they will give you a list of unis that would consider you. If you can show you have relevant work experience and determination an AAA uni may consider you

what kind of 'entry-level' job did he do?
Reply 12
High As A Kite
Would any of the redbrick unis accept these grades?

also, are there any conversion courses I can take if i were to do a different subject at a redbrick university?

I would be willing to venture into english and history etc.

thank you in advance, if you need to know more quote me =]

I put this in a thread or two after results day, but I was predicted AAC (which is what I got as my AS grades), I tried to get my Physics teacher to up the C prediction but he wouldn't.
I was rejected from Bristol and Manchester, had an ABB offer from Northumbria and a 280pts offer from Aberystwyth. Had an offer of AAA from Leeds uni, ended up getting ABC on results day and they still let me in, this was without any pleading etc - track was unconditional at half 6 on results day morning!

Don't really know what it was that got me in there, although it was the first year they used the LNAT and I did have a good mark in that and who knows what they thought of my essay :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Mr_Deeds
Latham & Watkins aren't quite magic circle but they're a big American law firm. Your friend's in a very small minority and, at the moment, it would be very difficult for any budding lawyer to enter the profession in this way. In theory, it is true to say that you don't have to have a degree to become a lawyer but in practice it's very uncommon for that to be the case. :smile:

Here in the states Latham & Watkins is about the best there is. It's in the top tier. Only thing that is going to be better is maybe Skadden.
jess_icky
I put this in a thread or two after results day, but I was predicted AAC (which is what I got as my AS grades), I tried to get my Physics teacher to up the C prediction but he wouldn't.
I was rejected from Bristol and Manchester, had an ABB offer from Northumbria and a 280pts offer from Aberystwyth. Had an offer of AAA from Leeds uni, ended up getting ABC on results day and they still let me in, this was without any pleading etc - track was unconditional at half 6 on results day morning!

Don't really know what it was that got me in there, although it was the first year they used the LNAT and I did have a good mark in that and who knows what they thought of my essay :s-smilie:

you still got in with ABC .. no wayyyyyyyyy!! i shudda applied theree! i ended up gettin ABB (and have another alevel at B) and didnt even think of applying there bcuz its AAA :frown: damnn!
Reply 15
Hi, jess_icky, did you have ring up to get your places at Leeds, and was it unconditional or conditional?
i'd be looking at a joint degree if i were you. it will be difficult to get in for straight law with a C, anywhere decent anyway.
Reply 17
Goodluck :smile:
Reply 18
Jingers
*Maybe* QM

They were ruthless this year, I don't know anyone who missed AAA and got in!

Latest

Trending

Trending