The Student Room Group

Council executive: 'It's ok to abuse servants'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1308627/Council-worker-Rehana-Mohameds-Twitter-storm-Servants-need-slap.html

A senior council officer has sparked fury after claiming that it is acceptable for employers to slap their servants.
Rehana Mohamed made the comments on her Twitter account after watching a TV debate on the abuse of foreign domestic workers exploited by wealthy families.
While watching the Channel 4 Dispatches programme, Britain's Secret Slaves, Cambridge University educated Miss Mohamed wrote:'Oh this is so self-righteous.

'That b****y maid needs a good slap. Some ppl [sic] here have no idea what it's like having servants.

'I'm sorry but being on call 24/7 and not having a day off for months and not being allowed to leave the house DOESN'T make you a slave.'
Miss Mohamed, who is from Sri Lanka, works as a strategic change management consultant at Brent Council in north London, an ethnically diverse area.

She added: 'Damn right they should get up and make what you want. That's their job.
'We never let out female servants for their own safety.'

Miss Mohamed, who is in her thirties, today insisted she had made the astonishing comments 'in jest and that's been acknowledged'.
Sarah Teather, Brent Central MP and Education Minister, called the remarks 'unacceptable'.

A reported 15,000 domestic workers flood annually into the UK with many paid less than £50 a week to work 20-hour days.
Aidan McQuade, director of charity Anti-Slavery International, said: 'Many instances of domestic servitude in this country are forced labour - a classification that includes retention of passports and wages, threat of denunciation and restriction of movement and isolation.'

The woman later apologised for her comments, but I'm not convinced. Not surprisingly, this is common with some wealthy middle eastern and South Asian immigrants, they are known to import indentured servitude. No doubt, there are a small amount of of native Brits who imprison servants too.

I watched Britain's Secret Slaves after reading this article, it seems to be spot on.

(( In before "daily fail" remarks. Be quiet if all you have to say is how much you hate the news source :smile:))
Reply 1
You imply in your post that it isn't okay to slap one's servants. Interesting... :colonhash:
Reply 2
She was obviously real life trolling.
If anyone I know had said that I would have taken it as a joke. Some people need to take a valium and calm down.

It's hilarious how well this incident perfectly reflects TSR. Someone makes a trollish joke, and a load of self-righteous PC do-gooders who can't take a joke come down on them like a tonne of bricks, taking it far too seriously.

Bit stupid for a councillor to say it though.
This is just so sad !!! I grew up in a household with 4 servants where we were waited obn hand and foot and we treated them like human beings.I am not trying to praise myself,but i used to help them quite a bit with their work.I have seen this sort of abuse occur alot which is just so sad. All i have to say is that woman is a fooking BI*ch!!!!!!!!! and she needs to be ashamed of herself and deserves a circumcision :biggrin:
SL*T !!!!
Tefhel
She was obviously real life trolling.
If anyone I know had said that I would have taken it as a joke. Some people need to take a valium and calm down.

It's hilarious how well this incident perfectly reflects TSR. Someone makes a trollish joke, and a load of self-righteous PC do-gooders who can't take a joke come down on them like a tonne of bricks, taking it far too seriously.

Bit stupid for a councillor to say it though.

Nonsense, bureaucrats have no sense of humour. Impossible.

Latest

Trending

Trending